ADVERTISEMENT

Golf NCAA Championships: FSU begins play on Monday

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

When it comes to NCAA Regional Championships in the last decade, FSU coach Amy Bond and her Seminoles have played about as well, and as consistently, as any program in the country.

During the span of the last 10 years, the Seminoles have earned two NCAA Regional championships (at Louisville in 2021 and in Tallahassee in 2022), totaled three runner-up finishes, and advanced to the NCAA Championship Finals in seven consecutive tournaments.

As the Seminoles prepare to play in an NCAA Regional Championship on the West Coast for the first time since playing at Oregon in 2016, the veteran head coach certainly knows how well her team must play to advance to the NCAA Championship Finals.

“There is no easy regional,” said Bond. “Now that I have had the opportunity to study the teams we are up against, we have to play our best golf of the year to finish in the top five. I’m not just saying that; this regional is strong. With that being said, we have a confident and eager bunch heading for Las Vegas, and that’s something I’m really excited about.”

Ranked No. 19 nationally entering the Las Vegas Regional Championship at the Spanish Trail Country Club, the 4-seeded Seminoles are the fourth highest-ranked team in the regional. They will face stiff competition from each of the teams including No. 1 seeded and No. 4 ranked UCLA, No. 2 seeded and No. 9 ranked Arkansas, No. 3 seeded and No. 16 ranked Arizona, California, Purdue, Baylor, Oklahoma, Colorado State, Kent State, Xavier, and Dartmouth.

Florida State’s lineup will be one of the most experienced in the postseason lineups in the regional as its top six golfers – Lottie Woad (All-ACC), Mirabel Ting (All-ACC), Charlotte Heath, Alice Hodge, Kaylah Williams, and Katherine Cook – have played in a combined nine regional championships. Heath (three) and Hodge (three) both played on the Seminoles’ 2021 regional championship team at Louisville and their 2021 regional championship team in Tallahassee in 2022. Woad and Williams played on Florida State’s advancing team at the 2023 Raleigh regional, while Ting led Augusta University to a fifth-place finish in the 2023 Raleigh regional championship. Ting finished in a tie for fifth in Raleigh and led Augusta to their first-ever NCAA Championship finals appearance. Cook will make her first regional appearance in 2024.

Hodge turned in one of the greatest regional performances in school history in the spring of 2022 as she finished in a tie for third place with a 2 under-par score of 214. Her score included a career-low and program-best tying 65 in the final round. It was her performance that helped the Seminoles clinch their second consecutive team championship.

“Our Tallahassee regional is definitely my most memorable regional,” said Hodge. “I think that this team is also very comfortable with desert golf due to our time at Grayhawk in the last three NCAA Championships. I think that could be an advantage for us this week.”

Hodge’s tied for third place finish is one of five top three individual finishes in regional play in school history.

Woad, the 2024 Augusta National Women’s Amateur champion and the 2024 ACC Golfer of the Year, finished in a tie for sixth place finish at the Raleigh regional in 2023. Her score of 67 in the first round of the regional championship is just two strokes off her career-best score and the all-time school record.

“Playing in regionals is probably the most team-driven tournament of the entire year,” said Woad. “That’s how we have played throughout the year – as a team. I’m most excited about playing good golf with a confident group of teammates. If we do that, everything should take care of itself.”

Woad won the ANWA with an 8 under par score of 208 and is an incredible 49 strokes under par for her 17-match career as a Seminole.

Throughout her career, Bond has called the regional championship tournament the toughest tournament of the year. In her words, “If you don’t finish in the top five, your season is over.”

“We haven’t finished outside of the top five at a regional since 2016,” said Bond. “It’s going to take us playing Florida Stat golf to advance. This is the time of the year we work for. This group will be ready to play on Monday morning in Las Vegas.”

Results and tee times can be found at Golfstat.com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT