ADVERTISEMENT

People that talk to themselves out loud

EveryoneBleedsGarnet

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2010
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Is it really that hard to think and work quietly to yourself?

I have an office across from a woman in her 50s or 60s and she literally enunciates the majority of her own thoughts. She'll just randomly say things like, "Email John" or carry on a conversation (to nobody) about different foods she can't wait to have or her stupid diet. At first it was really distracting because I assumed she was trying to talk to me, now I just ignore it completely, but it's still annoying.

I find myself talking to myself out loud. It's embarrassing when someone catches you.

But like my mamma always said, as long as you're not talking back to yourself you're okay.

I do it quite often although not often about something as mundane as email John. When I'm trying to work through a very complex logic situation, I find it often helps my brain to process if I just talk it out and write down the parts that seem insightful.

Is it really that hard to think and work quietly to yourself?

I have an office across from a woman in her 50s or 60s and she literally enunciates the majority of her own thoughts. She'll just randomly say things like, "Email John" or carry on a conversation (to nobody) about different foods she can't wait to have or her stupid diet. At first it was really distracting because I assumed she was trying to talk to me, now I just ignore it completely, but it's still annoying.

Buy her a bag of cheeseburgers for lunch while she's sitting at her desk while she's talking to herself. Make sure it's a Friday. As she finishes up, roll a grenade into her office. She'll die happy and you won't have to deal with her talking to herself anymore.

Last edited:
I do it once in a while...but the girl that works about 12 feet from me does it constantly. I listen to music on my earbuds at work. This girl drives me crazy as she will literally talk out loud non-stop. Every once in a blue moon she will ask me a question....which I am oblivious to because I focus on ignoring her, and she then gets an attitude that I don't hear her.

I would like to throw a desk a her.

Mine is done before sales meeting (as of late before interviews) when thinking about how what in going to say or when I'm upset and saying the things I wish I had thought of while in the moment.

Not a fan of the self talkers, especially at work. It's always confusing because then you wonder "Are they talking to me? Should I answer their question? Are they on the phone?"

They're able to hide easier these days since we all use headset phones now.

My old dorm roommate in college used to talk to himself, drove me nuts.

"Mmmmm, I'm gonna make me some chicken strips for dinner tonight. And maybe try that new sauce I got. Oh man, that's gonna be so good! But what do I want for the side? Hmmmm, maybe french fries. But then I have to go downstairs to use the oven....."

Just STFU and make your dinner, I don't need the commentary!

Needless to say, I wore headphones a lot.

Last edited:
Not a fan of the self talkers, especially at work. It's always confusing because then you wonder "Are they talking to me? Should I answer their question? Are they on the phone?"

They're able to hide easier these says since we all use headset phones now.

My old dorm roommate in college used to talk to himself, drove me nuts.

"Mmmmm, I'm gonna make me some chicken strips for dinner tonight. And maybe try that new sauce I got. Oh man, that's gonna be so good! But what do I want for the side? Hmmmm, maybe french fries. But then I have to go downstairs to use the oven....."

Just STFU and make your dinner, I don't need the commentary!

Needless to say, I wore headphones a lot.

People who talk to themselves like that are nutso.

I have one co-worker who was horrible about talking to herself all of the time. The worst was whenever she was typing and made a typo, she would say "whoops!" out loud and she has a loud voice. My Manager must have said something to her because I noticed the frequency of that and other things has decreased significantly. Thankfully, I use headphones when I can.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT