ADVERTISEMENT

Question for DFS

littleitch1

Seminole Insider
Nov 26, 2008
Hey bud, was it hard to give up being self employed and going to work for “ the man”?

Or anyone else on the board that wants to jump in that’s made a similar move

The reason I ask is I’ve been offered a position with city of pompano, structural inspector

4 day work week, benefits,pretty good salary

I’m struggling here. I’m 65, construction is not an old mans game but it does keep me in good shape!

I’ve been self employed 90% of my life

I just don’t know what to do here

Any advice would be appreciated

Except, drop dead, become a democrat, take the jab, stop being such a jerk on this board etc

Thanks in advance

Reactions: seminoleed
Hey bud, was it hard to give up being self employed and going to work for “ the man”?

Or anyone else on the board that wants to jump in that’s made a similar move

The reason I ask is I’ve been offered a position with city of pompano, structural inspector

4 day work week, benefits,pretty good salary

I’m struggling here. I’m 65, construction is not an old mans game but it does keep me in good shape!

I’ve been self employed 90% of my life

I just don’t know what to do here

Any advice would be appreciated

Except, drop dead, become a democrat, take the jab, stop being such a jerk on this board etc

Thanks in advance
As someone who has done both over the last 30 years only you can speak to your current needs and aspirations. That being said, there are worse things than giving it a shot to see if it fits your situation. If it doesn't, sayonara city of Pompano.

Yes. It was difficult. The fact I moved from WPB to the panhandle made the decision easier. When I left So FL, I left my crews, subs and most importantly, my reputation. I really didn't want to start another company in an area where we knew one family and the style of construction was so much different than what I knew and enjoyed.
I never thought I would end up working for Walton County. I wanted to be a superintendent for someone else but that didn't work out for many reasons. I still did some projects on the side up until around 2015. Doing a build out of a 5 story condo on Mexico Beach was the last decent size job I did.
Four day weeks. Benefits. Okay money. At nearly 63, it works for me.

Reactions: BrianNole777
If you have someone offering you benefits and retirement I would say take it if the money is good enough. If you end up working for some snot nose ass hat you can always tell them to roll it up tight and jam it. At this age you have to do things on your terms.

Do you have any other retirement income?

Unfortunately
I used up a chunk of it taking care of my dad for 5 years

Dementia/Alzheimer’s is a terrible condition

I am not one to sit around
I’m always doing something somewhere

Have a home on Kissimmee river, paid for so just taxes and monthly costs

My plans were to move there full time and do code case resolutions statewide

( may still do that)

Appreciate the responses
I get a physical this week then will make decisions if I pass

Well did the physical today

Urine test I expected, no blood work kinda surprised me
No hold boys n cough( I guess they don’t do that anymore)?
Did some squats
Bp great( so they said)

Wasn’t much of anything

Oh yeah the finger wave I said no thanks, I have someone in Deerfield that checks under the hood! A very physically active women with stubby fingers!

When I went into the private room the female doctor said” dayum”, your quite the specimen especially for 65 years old!

Okay, she didn’t say that, but I’m pretty sure she was thinking it!😜

Did some squats
Bp great( so they said)

Wasn’t much of anything

Oh yeah the finger wave I said no thanks, I have someone in Deerfield that checks under the hood! A very physically active women with stubby fingers!

When I went into the private room the female doctor said” dayum”, your quite the specimen especially for 65 years old!

No blood work? Have you had it done in the last 6-12 months?

Did some squats
Bp great( so they said)

Wasn’t much of anything

That wasn't my finger!😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT