ADVERTISEMENT

Questions for the Fathers/Dads of the board?

BrianNole777

All-ACC
Jan 27, 2023
Near Washington D.C.
1.) Did you always want to be a Father?

2.) What's the best part?

3.) How about the worst part?

4.) How would your life be different if you never had kids?

I'm interested in parenting overall. I have great respect for good Fathers.

Thanks!

You’re sitting on a goldmine Trebeck!!! The answer to #1 is yes. Beyond that I’ll withhold comment because I don’t want throw shade on this before you get more comments.

Reactions: BrianNole777
1) Yes
2) Pretty much everything. I have really enjoyed watching the world from the eyes of a child the last few years. Definitely changed my perspective.
3) Disciplining my son is difficult but necessary. Traveling for work was harder than I expected.
4) My son was born when I was 46 years old so I have lived both existences. If we weren’t fortunate enough to have had him I would imagine I would travel more like I did before he was born. Honestly it is hard to remember what life was like before him. Things changed quite a bit.

1) Yes
2) Pretty much everything. I have really enjoyed watching the world from the eyes of a child the last few years. Definitely changed my perspective.
3) Disciplining my son is difficult but necessary. Traveling for work was harder than I expected.
4) My son was born when I was 46 years old so I have lived both existences. If we weren’t fortunate enough to have had him I would imagine I would travel more like I did before he was born. Honestly it is hard to remember what life was like before him. Things changed quite a bit.

Is your son your only child?

Did you ever want more kids?

What are the pros and cons of an only child?
There was a time when I was younger where I aspired but today a definite no. My wife's pregnancy was very difficult. She had constant complications and my son was born 3 months prematurely.

Can't speak to the pros and cons since I only have one view of it as a parent. I will say he gets much more attention than I did coming from a big family. Whether that is good or bad you would have to ask him.

There was a time when I was younger where I aspired but today a definite no. My wife's pregnancy was very difficult. She had constant complications and my son was born 3 months prematurely.

Can't speak to the pros and cons since I only have one view of it as a parent. I will say he gets much more attention than I did coming from a big family. Whether that is good or bad you would have to ask him.

My Dad was an only child and my Mom (no pics) was the oldest of 8.

Reactions: ChiefWB
1. Yes
2. Having two new best friends. My boys at this point in life are my ride or die homies. It doesn’t matter if it’s a trip across town for a Florida State event or getting in the car to drive across the country, they are always down for a new adventure.
3. Seeing them hurt. Whether it be something minor like a scrape or something someone says to them that hurts their feelings, it sucks watching them cry.
4. I’d probably be a completely fat alcoholic with a couple hundred thousand dollars in the retirement account.

1.) Did you always want to be a Father? No. I came from the foster care system into a difficult environment so I was a reluctant parent.

2.) What's the best part? Them leaving the house and being on their own. The growing and learning process.

3.) How about the worst part? See number 2. Life is hard and parents worry about their kids.

4.) How would your life be different if you never had kids? Id have more money for myself.

Yes - both parents came from large close families, although both children of divorce(with long term remarry). My dad was active in my childhood as coach, boy scout leader, etc.

Just being with them. I have 2 sons, 6 and 8. They're fun to hang out with and I would rather be with them than anywhere else. Seeing their differences as they grow is cool, different preferences and tastes. I try my best to say "yes" to as many things as I can that involve playing with them, as I know it's not forever.

Not really a 'worst' part, just tougher to manage time with more moving parts. Relationship with your spouse changes, again not bad just different and more effort needed to stay connected. Seeing them grow up can be hard but it's inevitable so just guide them as best as you can.

More money, smaller house

I thought I would be but didn't actively want it. And life throws different paths at different people so there's no guarantee.

Seeing great kids launched. It's part of life. If your religious then it's part of God's creation. And if you're a strict evolutionist it's the survival of life going forward.

My best friends now.

Not the worst part but the difficult part is the grind. The responsibility. The finances.

There's other rewards though too as I'm now financially secure as much as you can be.

I would not have stuck it out working in the same jobs for 30 plus years. I travel pretty light. When I am alone.

Did you ever want more kids?

What are the pros and cons of an only child?
I'm going to answer this as a Mom. I have a daughter, an only child. I called her my little house on the water because 24 years ago, insurance did not cover IVF. She cost over 50k just to conceive and I couldn't afford my house on the water anymore.

When I was pregnant I asked my mom if it was ok to have only 1 child. Her reply was, "Do you want my opinion or my Mommy answer?". I asked for both. Her Mommy answer was you should always have 2 or more so they have a companion, family, a playmate and if anything were to happen, you still have a child left. (Side note, I had a brother who died at age 7, 2 years before I was born) Her opinion answer was if you have a girl, you can stop. I had a girl. I stopped.

Wouldn't change it for the world. She always wanted a sibling, I got her a dog instead. She knows if she wasn't an only child, she would not have been as spoiled as she was. Don't get me wrong, she is NOT spoiled rotten, but she lived a very charmed, BOCA RATON childhood. She was able to do things most adults have not done yet and she is very grateful.

A con of an only child is you have to entertain them; they get lonely unless there is close family, cousins, friends that they can play with (another reason for a dog!). They may grow up to be a little selfish, not knowing how to share, because they never had to. She started day care at 3 months so she learned those things quickly. Other than that I can't think of any.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT