ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Kimbo Slice

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
I actually talked to him at length for probably three hours or more back when I was ghostwriting for some MMA websites about 6+ years ago. Despite his persona, he was kind, very friendly and incredibly laid back even when I asked him some challenging questions about his past.

So very sad to hear him go. It looks like it was a heart attack which is not surprising considering he was a 42 yo large black man who definitely made use of.....vitamins. You combine 42 + large + black man + roi...err...vitamins and the odds of a long heart attack free life is basically nil.

I always thought this was a made up guy to promote UFC. Like Terry Tate for Reebok. Who knew?

Maybe promote MMA, but not the UFC. Dana did not like him and only gave him a shot on TUF to see if he could have enough growth from training to be marketable. Dana gave him a small window purely for money-making and then got rid of him when he couldn't beat low level heavyweights.

Kimbo did love the sport and trained with a top flight gym to try and learn more to become more than just a puncher.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
MMA websites need ghost writers?

I bet Dot and Ira are jealous. :rolleyes:

I always thought this was a made up guy to promote UFC. Like Terry Tate for Reebok. Who knew?
He was a straight up South Florida backyard brawler back in the day. Check out some of his old stuff on YouTube. He straight up left some poor guy with this eye hanging out of its socket.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
He was a straight up South Florida backyard brawler back in the day. Check out some of his old stuff on YouTube. He straight up left some poor guy with this eye hanging out of its socket.

Yeah, he was a bigger persona than his skill set. He's certainly nowhere even remotely close to the level of Ali and probably so far away in skill to where I would last just as long against Ali as Kimbo would have (which is a horrible insult). And only the uninitiated "fans" who knew nothing about the sport thought he was at the highest level of skill. But he was an imposing man in the squared circle and a fantastic man outside of it. He was basically an inverse Floyd Mayweather (wonderful man with horrible skillset as opposed to horrible boychild with wonderful skillset).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT