ADVERTISEMENT

Seattle/Kirkland - Cool/Must Do Things...

baldfsufan

Freshman
Nov 18, 2004
I am on assignment in Kirkland now and a couple more times in the next few months.

Looking for suggestions on things that I should explore or experience.

I went to Pike Fish Market and the Space Needle/EMP. So any other items would be nice to go to?

I really like Halibut, so if you know of a restaurant that does it well, please let me know.

Also, Sushi/Vietnamese suggestions are great too.

I don't have a car, so Uber will be my primary source of transportation.

Thanks in advance for the knowledgeable suggestions.

PS. I have already tried googling all of the items above, but have had little luck with finding the cool mom and pop type places that are what i am looking for.

I remember the kid's name, Corey Webster, who led Kirkland to the Little League World Series title, in 1982, I think, after years of the US not winning a title.

I am on assignment in Kirkland now and a couple more times in the next few months.

Looking for suggestions on things that I should explore or experience.

I went to Pike Fish Market and the Space Needle/EMP. So any other items would be nice to go to?

I really like Halibut, so if you know of a restaurant that does it well, please let me know.

Also, Sushi/Vietnamese suggestions are great too.

I don't have a car, so Uber will be my primary source of transportation.

Thanks in advance for the knowledgeable suggestions.

PS. I have already tried googling all of the items above, but have had little luck with finding the cool mom and pop type places that are what i am looking for.

The absolute best advice anyone would give you regarding Seattle is make sure you spend as much time outside of it in Vancouver as possible. Seattle is great, probably somewhere in my top 20-30 American cities but Vancouver is my favorite city after only Paris, Edinburgh and Sydney in that order and ahead of London, NYC, Las Vegas, Toronto etc... Just absolutely amazing Japanese, Chinese and other Asian culture/food but clean and friendly like all of Canada and with access to the best seafood area hands down (and yes as a native Floridian I love Florida seafood but Pacific Northwest seafood is always sweeter and cleaner and as a reefer I think it's the microorganisms, my warm water reefs with corals, fish and other animals from the Carribean, Mediterranien and South Pacific always smells "fishy", "muddy" and grassy/herby when it's time to change the water but the Coldwater tanks I have with saltwater anemones and fish from Northern California, Oregon, Washington and Japan never takes on that smell, it smells like honey and vanilla so very sweet when the water gets "stale" and ready for a change).

Sorry about to go off on a tangent, but Vancouver blows Seattle out of the water. And I really, really like Seattle. So try to get up to Vancouver for a whale watching tour and some amazing food. In addition to the amazing Japanese and Chinese (with multiple authentic styles from different parts of China not the ^+%* takeout "Chinese" you get in most of the U.S.) places, there are a number of First People (ie "Indians and Eskimos") restaurants that are great in particular Salmon n Bannock where you can get muskox, Arctic char, the most amazing spot prawn and the tastiest salmon you've ever had. Plus you can go right down to the docks (where the film Once Upon a Time even though set in Maine) and get urchin, abalone, geoducks, halibut, salmon and tuna straight from the boat. They'll even crack the urchins in front of you so it's ridiculously fresh.

As far as Seattle, there's one sushi place that was on par with the best ones in Vancouver and San Fran but I can't recall its name off the top of my head I'll have to see if I can find it. It was in a neighborhood not in a busy area. There's also some wineries in the area that are as good as those in Napa and the beer is decent (even Red Hook is well worth the trip). But the best part of Seattle is to visit the Taylor Farms outpost just outside of Pikes Market. They've got amazingly fresh (since they farmed them) geoduck, abalone and the best Pacific Oysters. Make sure you visit it at least once.

The other thing I would suggest is if you can take off a couple of days while you're in the area, make a sidetrip to the Columbia Iceshield and maybe Jasper and/or Banff National Parks. They're a solid 9-12 hour drive from Seattle but well worth it if you can take a couple of days off. That's what I do all the time. For example, I've got a trip down to the Palm Beaches for work in three weeks or so but my wife is taking a day or two off work and flying down to meet me in the Keys afterwards.

Oh and the other thing that you get in Seattle, Vancouver, NYC, and San Fran that but you can't get in Florida is true full service izakayas not just "sushi" places. The best in Seattle is Kaname Izakaya and Issiann (or however it's spelled).

The other thing I would suggest is if you can take off a couple of days while you're in the area, make a sidetrip to the Columbia Iceshield and maybe Jasper and/or Banff National Parks. They're a solid 9-12 hour drive from Seattle but well worth it if you can take a couple of days off. That's what I do all the time. For example, I've got a trip down to the Palm Beaches for work in three weeks or so but my wife is taking a day or two off work and flying down to meet me in the Keys afterwards.

Yea, i totally agree and would rather be spending my free time in Vancouver/whistler than Seattle.

Unfortunately, i don't have a car on this trip and the traffic entering and leaving seattle has been quite adverse due to the current weather. Plus, I am working through my weekend to complete a project. So, I am confined to a 15 miles radius of Kirkland.

I went to Japonessa for Sushi the other day while i was visiting Pike Market and it was not my favorite.

Im thinking of checking out Sitka and Spruce Restaurant and maybe one of the breweries in Redmond.

I'm here til tues and then I come back on the 21st of Feb for a week and then later this fall for a week or two.

once i get back to Fla I am on assignment in the keys (islamorada) and then South Beach before going to Mardi Gras in Mobile and New Orleans for vacation.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Yea, i totally agree and would rather be spending my free time in Vancouver/whistler than Seattle.

Unfortunately, i don't have a car on this trip and the traffic entering and leaving seattle has been quite adverse due to the current weather. Plus, I am working through my weekend to complete a project. So, I am confined to a 15 miles radius of Kirkland.

I went to Japonessa for Sushi the other day while i was visiting Pike Market and it was not my favorite.

Im thinking of checking out Sitka and Spruce Restaurant and maybe one of the breweries in Redmond.

Oh and the Carpenter and the Walrus is one of the best oyster bars in the nation. But definitely make sure you hit Taylor Farms itself.

You can catch ferries all over the area as a pedestrian. We were out some years ago for a week and it was amazing the number of ferries and the varied ways people used them. From tractor trailers and dump trucks down to bicycles and walkers, plenty of commerce, commuters, and visitors were on them routinely.
I am sure the weather is probably poor there now, but you could also find a bike to rent in order to cover more ground.

I was there last week. My company was acquired by a company based in Redmond. My wife and her friend joined me in Seattle for the weekend. We did most of the usual tourist stuff. We ate at Purple for lunch and dinner. That place was amazing. If you enjoy cocktails set a reservation for ZigZag. They made Seattle the cocktail capital of the world according to locals. The crabs at the crab pot were delicious. Avoid the ghost tours. Pretty lame. My wife and her friend really enjoyed an Italian restaurant named Barolo Ristorante. Also visit Uncle Ike's for dessert. ;)

Orcas Island is definitely worth the short drive. Highly recommended, at least in my book.

Tribe, I went to ISSIAN last not and it was awesome! Great suggestion!

I would love to go to orcas, but that trip will have to wait.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Tribe, I went to ISSIAN last not and it was awesome! Great suggestion!

I would love to go to orcas, but that trip will have to wait.

Glad you liked it. I always enjoy the vibe, food and drink of izakayas and hit them up whenever I'm in a city with decent ones.

the Pacific Northwest seafood has been registering very high in cesium ever since Fukushima. Some people think its from the reactor, some people think Haliburton is using the accident as a cover to dump waste in the ocean. In any event, I wouldn't seek it out on the theory that its cleaner. If you like Halibut, get it from Alaska.

harley.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT