ADVERTISEMENT

Seminoles will influence new Pro Volleyball Federation

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State indoor and beach volleyball will have strong connections to North America’s newest premier volleyball league: the Pro Volleyball Federation.

Taking advantage of the growth that volleyball has experienced in recent years, the league launches this week and features 132 players across seven teams, which includes locations in Orlando, Atlanta, Omaha, Columbus, Grand Rapids, San Diego and Las Vegas.

Former FSU head indoor volleyball coach Cecile Reynaud will serve as the league’s Vice President of Volleyball Operations, where she will oversee multiple aspects including rules of play, officiating, coach recruitment, International and college relations and other areas.

Reynaud spent 26 years as the head coach of indoor volleyball at FSU, posting a record of 635-326, ranking her ninth all-time in NCAA Division I victories at the time of her retirement. She led the Noles to seven conference championships and earned three ACC Coach of the Year honors. After retiring from coaching in 2001, Reynaud has held many national, international, and administrative positions within USA Volleyball, including serving as Board Chair from 2018-2020.

Reynaud also served as a Research Associate in Florida State University’s highly acclaimed Sport Management School from 2002-2015. She continues to work as a color analyst for many of FSU’s matches as well during the fall season on the ACC Network.

“Cecile Reynaud has been one of the most amazing people to be around. She’s a mentor of mine so I’m very happy to see her involved with a Pro Volleyball league because everything that she touches is successful,” FSU Beach Volleyball head coach Brooke Niles said. “She’s a great leader for women in sports and she’s accomplished so much in her career. I think the league that she’s started is going to be nothing but successful and if I were a current player I would want to play for someone like Cecile in any program that she’s involved in.”

FSU beach volleyball Alumna and Tallahassee-native Madison Fitzpatrick will be a member of the official broadcast team for the Orlando Valkyries. Since finishing her outstanding beach volleyball career with the Seminoles, Fitzpatrick has thrived as a freelance reporter, calling indoor and beach volleyball matches on ESPN, the ACC Network, the SEC Network and more.

She recently provided top-notch sideline coverage at the 2023 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship in Gulf Shores, Ala., for ESPN. She called several ACC and SEC indoor volleyball matches in the Fall 2023.

Fitzpatrick played beach volleyball at Florida State from 2018-2022, posting a record of 90-37 and earning All-America second team and CCSA All-Conference first team honors in 2019. She finished her career in poetic fashion at the 2022 NCAA Beach Volleyball Championship, teaming with Alaina Chacon to defeat USC’s highly-touted tandem of Megan Kraft and Sammy Slater, 2-1 (14-21, 24-22, 17-15).

“Madison Fitzpatrick was such an unbelievable player for us. She changed the trajectory of our program,” Niles said. “She performed in pressure situations all the time and she was just such a hard worker and amazing teammate. I’m so proud of her in her next chapter in her life with her sports announcing career, and I know she’s going to put the same energy and effort into anything she does that she brought to our team. I’m just really proud of her, it’s just awesome to see her excel, but I’m not surprised.”

Joining Fitzpatrick as part of Orlando’s official broadcast team is former FSU student and current ACC Network Extra play-by-play announcer Shawn Davison. He attended FSU from 2011-15 and has been an on-air talent through FSU’s Seminole Productions video unit since 2015.

Davison is considered the voice of FSU Volleyball, serving as the play-by-play announcer for the indoor team on several ACC Network Extra broadcasts over the last eight years. He has worked alongside Dr. Reynaud on many broadcasts, and also served as an adjunct professor at FSU specializing in contemporary issues in communication for the last six years.

The Orlando Valkyries begin their inaugural season on Friday, Jan. 26, against the Atlanta Vibe at 7 p.m. at Addition Financial Arena in Orlando on the streaming service Bally Sports Live.

Reactions: jerinole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT