ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Let's Be Honest About Draft Night

EastCoastNole04

Seminole Insider
Dec 28, 2013
I know this is the first year the Draft is in Chicago and there's no way to fully predict it, but we all know what the initial reaction to Jameis being drafted #1 is going to be, and it's going to be very ugly in every city not named Tallahassee. It will probably be very ugly on TV at the draft, as the history is there for unpopular #1 picks getting unfavorable reactions.

For starters, everyone not named Roger Goodell hates Roger Goodell, and you'll have him up there 30 seconds prior getting the "boo birds" going. The boo's, especially after this past year will be incredibly loud. They've already been embarrassingly loud the past 4 years.

Next, you have the perception of Jameis Winston, and a city who's fans only know his perception. I like to think that the comments sections of most websites epitomize what most ignorant fans think of Jameis. If that is the case, it's not very good.

It just makes me so incredibly angry to think about it already. People are going to let their ignorance and hate ruin this young mans moment, hell, reward for all of his hard work. It will be played on Sportscenter like a broken record, and he will have to put on a smile so that the media doesn't crush him even more.

Let's not also think that the Christine Brennans, Clay Travis' of the world don't already have their tremendous columns already written today, and just waiting to hit "publish". They have 4 months to conjure up BS stories to run front page the moment he gets drafted. Stories that will undoubtedly be headlined "NFL enables assault culture by drafting Jameis #1".

I guess this doesn't really have a point other than to set the expectations for people on draft night. It will be a proud moment for Jameis, FSU, and its fans- but people are going to try to ruin that moment. Don't let it get to you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News