ADVERTISEMENT

Small investment

Squirrel J.

Star Player
Aug 11, 2009
Looking for some advice from the LR investment experts.
Where would you invest $5,000.00? (I'm obviously asking this for my maid)

I've already considered the following, so looking for other advice:

-Hookers/coke
-Betting on Pacman to knock out Money
-New TV
-Tires/rims
-Night out at Nicholsons

Club Seats!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

All on black.

But really... you didn't provide much context. What are your goals- how long are you planning to invest the money? Is this the beginning of your retirement savings or are you trying to save some money for a big purchase a few years down the road?

Vanity license plates and vinyl Tomahawk stickers for my windows.

its hard to invest such a small amount, because you end up concentrated in a single position which is not ideal.

that said, something to look at is FEZ. Its 50 large european stocks. the dividend yield alone is about 3.8%, which gives you some protection and is some indication that these are priced cheaply, especially when you consider that some corporates in the EU are floating bonds with negative interest rates. FEZ is not currency hedged, so you should profit if the Euro strengthens against the dollar. If the Euro currency risk concerns you, there is a similar ETF called HEDG which is hedged (but of course you won't benefit from favorable moves in the currency).

Originally posted by Lemon Thrower:
its hard to invest such a small amount, because you end up concentrated in a single position which is not ideal.

that said, something to look at is FEZ. Its 50 large european stocks. the dividend yield alone is about 3.8%, which gives you some protection and is some indication that these are priced cheaply, especially when you consider that some corporates in the EU are floating bonds with negative interest rates. FEZ is not currency hedged, so you should profit if the Euro strengthens against the dollar. If the Euro currency risk concerns you, there is a similar ETF called HEDG which is hedged (but of course you won't benefit from favorable moves in the currency).
Boats and hoes...much simpler.

Originally posted by seminole4life1:
All on black.

But really... you didn't provide much context. What are your goals- how long are you planning to invest the money? Is this the beginning of your retirement savings or are you trying to save some money for a big purchase a few years down the road?
I agree with 4life. Need to know more info on your future plans for this investment.

Sorry about that, your latter statement is right on the money.....trying to save money for a big purchase a few years down the road.
Just looking for somewhere relatively safe to put it (other than a savings account)

AT&T and Verizon dividend stock - 5% - 6% dividend range, blue chip, growth. Buy it through ETrade and hang on to it forever. I presume you know that dividend income is taxed at capital gains rates.

Originally posted by Seminiferous:
AT&T and Verizon dividend stock - 5% - 6% dividend range, blue chip, growth. Buy it through ETrade and hang on to it forever. I presume you know that dividend income is taxed at capital gains rates.
why do you suppose the div yield is so high on these now? margin compression, revenue pressure? do you think these stock prices are stable? those dividend yields are about twice as large as what i would have expected.

Would need age, time horizon, risk tolerance, etc..

Give me that, and I will tell you what I would do exactly.

oil will go lower before higher, but we'll eventually allow oil to be exported and when we do it will spike.

Originally posted by Bud Fox:

Would need age, time horizon, risk tolerance, etc..

Give me that, and I will tell you what I would do exactly.
-Within 3 years
-Low

Basically looking for a savings account w/ a better return.

Honestly if you only have $5000 to invest you probably should just set that money aside and call it your security blanket. Invest in your peace of mind, because that's not enough money to generate any real return.

You can only really have two of these three:

Three-year investment period.Better return than a savings account.Low risk.

Originally posted by EveryoneBleedsGarnet:
Honestly if you only have $5000 to invest you probably should just set that money aside and call it your security blanket. Invest in your peace of mind, because that's not enough money to generate any real return.
Not a bad idea.
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

With that time horizon, garnet is right.

Best scenario for you would be the ability to invest that money in something you believe in, and forget you owned it.

You would be amazed how well that works:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT