ADVERTISEMENT

Spring practice notes: April 1 (6:53 UPDATE)

Ben_Jones

Contributor
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Warchant TV: Fisher discusses Wednesday's spring football practice

I don't think I've heard Jimbo in that kind of mood all spring. He was pretty down, especially on the offense and a couple of positions in particular. Raved about a few individual players and said the defense played well, but seemed like just a down day for the team.

The wide receivers, he said, just got their butts beat today. They were doing extra running after practice for almost the time we were talking to Jimbo (about 10 minutes). Ryan Izzo also had an off day and was doing some up-downs afterward. Jimbo said the offensive line has been doing great this spring. They were doing some extra work which is pretty normal for them, but they were doing stuff that did not look fun. They had some blocking pads set on the ground and were bear crawling, pushing the pads with the crown of their helmets.

Injuries: Freddie Stevenson[/B] hyperextended his knee in Monday's scrimmage. He'll be out 4-6 weeks, so he's done for spring. Mavin Saunders[/B] was out with a hamstring injury and needs to heal up, Jimbo said.

Looking back on the scrimmage, he said he thought the offensive line played well and liked what the running backs did. Thought Sean Maguire[/B] played well and made good throws, too. On defense, he said Jalen Ramsey[/B] played well and Demarcus Christmas[/B] showed improvement.

Asked about how Dalvin Cook[/B] has handled the last few months since his fumbles in the Oregon game, Jimbo said he's moved on completely. Cook was one of the offensive guys to have a good day and played "lights out," including three or four big runs. Jimbo said he's taken it to another level this spring.

Alec Eberle[/B] and Corey Martinez[/B] were both getting some extra snaps in after practice was over. Eberle is getting better, Fisher said. "He does not back up. He goes 100 miles an hour and gets in there."

More specifically on the offensive line, Jimbo said Rod Johnson has dropped off a bit but liked what Kareem Are has played well and he's looking forward to getting Chad Mavety out there. Wilson Bell, he said, was "playing out of his mind." Also had nice things to say about Brock Ruble. "We have a chance to be pretty good on the offensive line."Said that Jalen Ramsey is "at the top of his game" now and was brutal on the wide receivers. Had a lot of good things to say about Ramsey's mentality: "Walked in on day one and said 'I'm going to start.' I said 'If you're the best player, you'll start.' Guess what? He did. And we had all returning guys in the secondary. He didn't care. It's what competitors do."

With Stevenson out, Jimbo said you might see some tight ends working in the backfield at H-back. Jeremy Kerr had a nice day today.

No April Fool's jokes in here, guys. I know FSU football is far too serious a topic for me to throw in something that would deceive you guys. Here's what happened at practice today as FSU went in shells:

OUT today: Fullback Freddie Stevenson was on crutches walking into the Moore Center, Gene said. We'll ask about him as soon as we can. Chad Mavety (concussion), Derrick Kelly (concussion), Kermit Whitfield (hamstring), Derrick Mitchell (back) and Terrance Smith (turf toe) all remained out today. Mavin Saunders was also sitting out and riding the bike.

PRACTICING today: Jeremy Kerr, Ermon Lane, Ethan Frith.

During special teams work, saw Jacques Patrick in there as an upback. He might not work as a kick returner, but that would be a good role for him. That's normally where fullbacks and tight ends line up and, sometimes some linebackers.

Speaking of linebackers, I think there were only two scholarship players there participating today: Ro'Derrick Hoskins and Tyrell Lyons.

With Stevenson out, I didn't see FSU go in any packages with a fullback. I was watching defense for a while so I might have missed it, but it seems like Johnathan Vickers is still more running back than fullback at this point.

George Campbell was working at kick return today. Don't believe I've seen that yet this spring.

Alec Eberle was the only one taking snaps with first team at center today. Corey Martinez was participating and took the second team snaps.

On defense, saw some interesting stuff in the secondary. For a while it looked like Derwin James was shadowing Nate Andrews, and Lamarcus Brutus was shadowing Tyler Hunter. Then Hunter went over to nickel and took some snaps there. Probably just guys cross-training but it's something we'll keep an eye on.
Sounds like we won't be at the open periods of practice on Thursday or Friday, and possibly not on Saturday (they're adding an extra practice to make up for the one missed last week). Monday should be the second scrimmage. I'll see you all when I see you. Have a great holiday weekend if that's not until after then.

This post was edited on 4/1 4:45 PM by Ben_Jones

This post was edited on 4/1 6:32 PM by Ben_Jones

This post was edited on 4/1 6:54 PM by Ben_Jones

This post was edited on 4/1 6:56 PM by Dot Com

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News