ADVERTISEMENT

Sunday Morning QB -FSU vs. Georgia Tech

Fishbits

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Aug 1, 2022
I am not going to lie, I thought FSU had a legit shot at losing this game. If you watch the NFL and see the teams go over to Europe to play the favorite does not always play well. FSU just came of a 13-0 season in 2023. They lost multiple starters. When I did a podcast with Jason Staples last week one of my first questions to him is where was FSU better on offense than a year ago. QB - No, RB-No, WR-No, TE-No....This is not a knock on the 2024 team. I did not get to watch the first half yesterday. I did get to watch it last night after coming home from a HS football game. I expected a turnover, bad execution football game where FSU made a ton of mistakes. ZERO TURNOVERS and they lost a game as a 10.5 favorite. The reality is this is a flawed team. Do I think FSU is going to lose every game or most of them the rest of the way, NO....MN is a very good coach and he is not going to allow this team to fall apart. That being said my biggest concern going forward is how will this team respond. I remember back in the days with Bobby...everytime FSU lost a tough game, his teams always seemed to respond well.

THE PORTAL - I am going to bring this up because it is the ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM. It has been the single most important part of FSU rebuild. I will not question MN use of the portal because he has been like so damn good at using it. His ability to find guys and have them play at an ELITE level is like no other program. FSU has worked the portal like MAGIC. That being said I don't believe it is sustainable. You look at FSU wide receiver room....FSU missed on some guys early on like Malik McClain and Joshua Burrell. Guys like Poitier should be #3 guys on the team. He is a good take. He just should not be your number one guy. Destyn Hill - Here is a kid FSU waited for what seemed like a lifetime. He comes in and the reality is Hill was not in football shape. How could he be. He did not play football for a long time. FSU missed on guys and you take Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson, they leave and the position takes a major downgrade. They did recruit the position well last season but you need a balanced roster of good Srs, Jrs....and so on. I will say this if FSU wants to win and play for National Titles....They are going to have to recruit HS football more. It is just my opinion but I feel it is the right one. The Portal is to supliment your HS recruiting. It is not to overtake it. Now to the game...

QB
DJ Uiagalelei - 19 of 27 - 70.37 percent. If I told anyone before yesterdays game DJ would have a 70 plus percent throwing day there is no way FSU did not blow GT out. He did not play poorly. You can question his ability to not having more big plays in the run game with him or down the field. That being said he was very good on the first drive and was very good on the final drive to tie the game. In between he was the frusturating player he has been his whole career. I said on podcast both with Pat and Jason Staples that the fans are going to go through some ups and downs with him. The fact that MN only has one season with him also makes it tough because the improvement may not happen till the end of the season and by then it may be to late. He was not the main reason FSU lost yesterday. I do think DJ will get better. That being said, I watched Cam Ward this spring four times and I could see why MN went after him and did not take DJ commitment right away. If Ward is at FSU yesterday, the Seminoles win that game. He is VERY GOOD. Back to the portal...I think FOR FSU to make the playoffs over the next two years Luke K or Glenn need to be the GUY. I am telling you DJ Lagway is the GUY and UF is going to pass FSU if they don't have the GUY with one of those two as DJ will turn UF around. Like to see DJ more envolved or have more designed run plays for him.

RB
I have said a million times that as long as MN is at FSU, I have no problems with his run game. They did not have a great game yesterday but that won't be the case the rest of the way. I would like to see more of Kam Davis and Lucas and less of Roydell Williams. Since FSU does not have great speed at receivers I believe those two give you more big plays threats. Holmes and Williams are both solid but FSU can do better.

WR
I am a big fan of FSU receiver class in 2024. If FSU can hold onto CJ Wiley the future looks bright. FSU really needs Hykeem Williams to get healthy and get on the field. He is FSU only hope in 2024 for a deep passing game. The loss of Hill to injury and All Day Dre taking his game to South Carolina really hurt FSU receiver room. I do think this group will show more as a the season goes along but Williams needs to play. FSU blocking from this group was not good. You watch Keon Coleman and Johnny Wilson they were huge on a ton of FSU success in the run game. Benson is a very good #2 but he is not Coleman or Wilson.

TE
When FSU signed Kyle Morlock I said that if he could be Caz Pirouski that would be his celing. I got hammered. I did not see a player with speed. I did not see some great option at TE. The reality is Kyle is a solid player but not elite. MN likes to use 2-3 tight ends. Not sure they have one right now.

OL
The offensive line did not play well. Richie Leonard should not be playing at FSU. I am sorry but not sold that Julian Armella can be better than Leonard. Armella is bigger, longer, more athletic. I am going to say it now, Armella transfers and starts at another program and ends up an All Conference player. I have seem him play in games and while Armella makes mistakes, he is only going to get better playing. Remember Andrew Datko played as freshman. Bobby Hart played as a freshman. FSU entire OL against ND in the Bowl game the line was freshman. Young players are going to make mistakes but the upside of Aremlla and Early is much higher. Leonard is small and has zero length. He had guys cross his face multiples times. Robert Scott did not have a good game. I don't know how much of an impact Atkins not being there had but it sure as heck does not seem like it helped.

DL
Pat Payton and Marvin Jones....They are going to be good this year but the reality is neither of them is Jared Verse or Jermaine Johnson. You probably should have one starting and the other back him up. FSU needs an elite guy (Javion Hilson). The DL not reset the line of scrimmage yesterday. The loss of Verse and Braden Friske were huge. If you are going to win games - you must win up front. The DL was constantly pushed around.
I think we were sold a farm on Farmer. That performance yesterday was not what you need from a guy who has been compensated fairly.

LB
First Quarter, 1st and ten on their own 31 who shoots through and makes a tackle for loss Blake Nichelson. This kid needs to be on the field. He is new to the game but let him get his licks in now. I am willing to put up with the mental mistakes now so he can be good later on. I remember watching Dan Morgan at Miami. He came in as a former RB like Nichelson and really struggled. I personally though the sucked. By the time he left Miami he was one of the best to ever play there. This kid will be one of FSU best LB in a couple of seasons.

#9 - I don't want to hammer a kid but that being said he did not play well yesterday. That was a rough performance. Omar Graham was not recruited because of his size. He was not recruited for his speed and athletic ability. He was recruited by his high footbal IQ. He is a smart kid with good instincts. He did not play like a smart player yesterday. He was out of position the entire game. #9 took himself out of many plays. He needs to get better. APB - Kam Riley....Where was he yesterday? He was a non factor. Lundy made a few plays. This group had a rough day. Only the OL played worse.

S
Conrad Hussey - He needs to start at safety. KID HAS DAWG IN HIM. He just plays with a ton of emotion and always seems to make the big play. This is another reason why I am against the portal. Hussey is on your team. He is one of the best young safeties on the team. You keep taking older guys this kid will only get one great year. You need 2-3 great years of him. Hussey is the real deal.

#22 when Korey Mangum played at FSU, I felt the jersey #22 should have been retired. While players have it retired for being great. Korey should have had his retired for being so bad that I did not want that mojo to hurt any other player to put it on. WOW....#22 yesterday was Korey Mangum bad. Miami has his brother on the roster and still cut him. You could see why yesterday. FSU has better options or if they don't safety is a position they better go and recruit better. Shyheim along with Hussey should be a good pair.

CB
AZ Thomas, Edwin Joseph...These guys are good.

Final Thoughts - IT IS ONE GAME. This team RIGHT NOW is not a PLAYOFF Team. You have a lot of football to play. This game and result really is not surprising. Georgia Tech played well last year and brought in a ton of experience into this game. FSU was breaking in a new QB and a lot of new parts on offense. I still have faith this season can be very good. Don't look at the entire season and try and predict which games FSU can win or lose. You have to take one game at a time. FSU can still be very good. By seasons end they could have 2-3 loses but go on a run late, win the ACC title game and make the playoffs as a conference champ. This team will get better but it is not the 2023 version. This team right now is not very good but there is potential to get better. Be patient and lets see what happens. FSU fans have a tendency to lose their s**t and think they will lose every game after a loss. If you were ojective this was not that surprising.

The strength of this team was supposed to be the OL and DL. These two units need to play better then this for FSU to win ball games.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.