ADVERTISEMENT

The "Meaningless" Fallacy

David Slaton

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hello fans. I've been quiet for a long time. Why? Don't know. Nevertheless, I am now moved to write.
Last year and for the last few years, I have heard the term "meaningless" bowl game used frequently by many fans and media. I've always felt that is wrong. Reality is that all of these games are truly meaningless in terms of life. Every single one. The national championship game too. Unless you're somehow financially connected to the game, it's all just entertainment.
But as a fan, I've never ever felt that any game was meaningless. Especially bowl games. Last year, people said the Orange Bowl was meaningless against Georgia. We played like it too. It looks like we have a nice hangover still from New Year's.
I now invite everyone who subscribes to what I call the "meaningless fallacy" to reconsider their opinion. Otherwise, given that "meaningless" means no possibility of a championship, the rest of the season for the Seminoles is therefore meaningless.
I bet you don't feel that way and I don't either. I now hope to get to a bowl game and I hope the players feel the same way. I hope when they get to a bowl, the players and the fans don't view it as meaningless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.