ADVERTISEMENT

The story of Sean Maguire's long road to the starting job

Ben_Jones

Contributor
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Other quarterbacks at Florida State saw Jameis Winston and transferred. Sean Maguire came to FSU in the same recruiting class and stayed anyway. What's does a guy think during that process?

I talked to a lot of friends and coaches from Sean's past to try and get an idea. This is the story of how he got to this point in his FSU career. It was neat to learn about a guy like Sean, who was mostly a background character on the team last year except for Clemson week.

One note that didn't make the cut in this story: I also talked to Mike Farrell about Maguire as a recruit. He said when he heard Maguire had an FSU offer "it was one of the offers I had to verify." He didn't see how a guy like Maguire fit with the quarterbacks FSU usually recruited. He thought of him as a tough kid and a character guy, but not much else.

The caveat, of course, is that Maguire ran a Wing-T offense in high school, and those guys are extraordinarily difficult to evaluate. Farrell pointed out that Matt Ryan was a Wing-T guy in high school, and there was no way to tell he was going to develop into what he became.

Hope you guys enjoy this. It was fun to write.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.