ADVERTISEMENT

Football There's plenty to learn, but FSU's linebackers showing their development

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Justin Cryer admitted after Friday’s practice that he wasn’t as confident a year ago in his transition from high school football to Northwestern and then Florida State. He tried to convince the media that it was smooth, but the reality was far from it.

Blake Nichelson had the benefit of arriving a few months earlier but was still treading water in the deep end and was primarily a running back who played some defense in high school. Nichelson was on the field last fall for 101 defensive plays, while Cryer was in on 82 plays, according to Pro Football Focus.

Nichelson said the experience gave him a better feel for the game.

“Last year, I was out there, I’m looking up, everything is so brand new to me,” Nichelson said. “I’m not used to the feeling of being out there. I feel like after having a year of experience under my belt, it doesn’t really affect me.”

Learning in the film room, watching Kalen DeLoach and Tatum Bethune and all of the practice reps are paying off. Just over 12 months later, Cryer is among the new guys who have soaked up the Seminoles’ defensive scheme and are vying for playing time in a new-look linebacker room.

“Now my confidence in myself and the scheme that we have here and the teammates is second to none,” Cryer said. “I think that’s a testament to the kind of guys we had last year, the older guys we had and (D.J.) Lundy coming back this year, that leadership that we had is kind of translating over.”

Reactions: NoleLizards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.