ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts on the FSU defensive depth chart entering the GT game

OsceolaPat

Veteran Seminole Insider
Staff
Jul 31, 2022
Here are some of my thoughts on the defensive depth chart entering the GT game:

DE- Payton and Jones Jr. are the starters and could be excellent as the bookends on the front four. Jones Jr. adjusted to the change in scheme pretty quickly and is big and powerful. Will be fun to see what these two do this season. Not sure if they will be as good as the Payton/Verse combo but closer than I thought coming into fall camp. I think Lolohea and Turner are solid as backups but there is a significant drop off in my opinion. I do think Turner has improved over last year. Lolohea has experience but is not nearly the same player as Payton who he will be backing up.

DT-Farmer and Jackson are the starters here and there really wasn't even any question about that entering camp and none exiting camp. Both should be motivated as they are likely playing there last year of college ball and need to have outstanding seasons to enhance their draft stock. Jackson is unblockable when he wants to be. Farmer seems like he is ready to have his best season.

I think these two guys are the key to FSU's success on defense. They will definitely factor into how the LBs play this year. Both will be disruptive as individual players, but they will also be responsible for tying up blockers and freeing up and allowing the LBs to play downhill. We saw the LBs get better in camp and were particularly more effective when playing behind these two guys.

Lyons and Kelly or listed as the backups behind Jackson and there is clearly a drop off, but Lyons should continue to develop as the season goes on and he had a nice camp but would like to see him crank his motor up a little more often. I wasn't as impressed with Kelly this fall as I was in the spring, but you can't replace his experience and that will come in handy during the season. Sampson and Durojaiye or listed as co-backups to Farmer. I really think Sampson has the chance to take the next step in his development and solidify himself as the heir apparent to Farmer after this season. Durojaiye took to the move inside very quickly and should just continue to get better with reps. Both work extremely hard in practice.

LB-Riley and Nichelson are listed as co-starters at the WILL LB spot and that jives with what I have seen at practice. They have both improved as fall camp went on and both need to have really good seasons for FSU to be as dominant on defense as it was last year. Ward is listed as the third guy at WILL.

Lundy will be the starter at the MIKE LB spot and will be backed by either Graham Jr. or Cryer. Graham will likely get the first call to backup Lundy, but I think as the season goes on it will be Cryer as the main backup here.

Nickel Corner-Knowles and Little are listed as co-starters with Rawls as the third guy. Having co-starters here is a bit of surprise. Most of the guys that cover the program (I am not included in that group) said it would be Little by a landslide, it wasn't. Knowles had a good camp but did not play well last season. Little has potential but isn't proven. Rawls show flashes. Will be interesting to see how good this position is once we get into the season. Going to have to see if to believe it type thing here. Is Knowles that much better than last year and is Little is big as the hype some have given him?

Boundary Corner-Cypress had a great camp and seems more comfortable playing mostly on the boundary side like he did at UVA. Jones is backing him up and I think he has big-time potential himself but needs to get some game experience. Bates is behind Jones.

Strong Safety-Brown has a solid camp. I thought he might get pushed a little harder than he did by Kirkland. Shyheim is the most experience player in the secondary and should play better than last year. Still fired up about Kirkland's potential but didn't see him flash this fall as much as I thought he would. Bates his behind him.

Free Safety-Brown and Hussey are full of potential but are still young. Will be interesting to see how they play when the lights come on. Might be some trial by fire early but both should get better as the season goes on.

Field Corner-AZ is in line for a huge year and if he has one it is likely his last season in Tallahassee. I thought he had a great camp. Joseph and Lester or listed as co-backups to AZ. Both have huge potential; I just think it is a matter of who matures the fastest as who to plays more.depthchart.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.