ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts on the FSU offensive depth chart heading into the GT game

OsceolaPat

Veteran Seminole Insider
Staff
Jul 31, 2022
FSU released its depth chart for the season opener vs. Georgia Tech this afternoon.

QB-DJU is named as the starter over Brock Glenn, followed by Luke Kromenhoek. It may take some time once they get into the season, but I do think Norvell will figure out how to best use DJU's skill set in his offense and be solid. I didn't think any of the QBs had a great camps, so it makes sense to go with the guy who has played more football. There are some questions on the passing game heading into the season and its not all about the WRs. I thought there would be more separation in this battle and think it will be interesting to see how Mike tries to get Glenn some in-season experience. I think it has to be put in meaningful situations during games and just not mopping up at the end of a couple of blowouts.

RB-Norvell for whatever reason list 12 starters on offense with the "extra" position being a second running back slot and we are likely to see some 20, 21 and 22 personnel groupings this season. That being said the running back room looks to be in really good shape. Williams and Toafili are listed as the two starters and would be the first two guys in the rotation in 11 and 12-personnel packages. Lucas is the backup behind Toafili and those two will be used in the slot receiver spot to which may allow for Caziah Holmes, Sam Singleton and Kam Davis to get some reps in the backfield. Either way you stack it up, FSU should be deep at RB. All flashed during camp. I think Lucas could be in line for a really big season with Norvell's ability to be creative and find mismatches.

WR-Benson, Douglas and Brown are listed as the starter with Poiter or Williams behind Benson, Spann behind Douglas and Williamson or McCoy behind Brown. This group is a work in progress and is in need of some serious in-season development. There is potential there and Benson is a guy that has the speed to off the top of the defense and Douglas is a proven commodity in the offense but as a whole this group didn't have a great camp. I think you will see a lot of WR combinations early as they try to find three guys who can carry the load and catch the ball consistently.

TE-Morlock is the clear starter here and anything you can get out of the any of the backups is a plus, Courtney and West or listed as co-backups and Thomas and Williams are not listed on the depth chart. FSU really needs Morlock to stay healthy.

LT-Washington backed up by Simmons. I think Darius has had a great camp and Simmons continues to improve. I do wonder if they would shuffle someone out to LT if Darius where to have to fill in at another spot or miss time.

LG-Leonard has been good as a run blocker. He is a mauler and is tough. Will help the run game but his weakness if pass protection. I think he was a solid take in the portal after watching him in camp. Estes is listed behind him, and he did finish camp strong.

C-Maurice Smith is a fixture here and will be as long as he stays healthy. Otto and Rizy or listed as co-backups to Smith and who plays behind Smith each week will be determined by how they perform in practice.

RG-Jones and Ferguson are listed as co-starters here so there is not much seperation between the two although I thought Jones had the stronger camp. Otto has worked some at guard in camp, so don't be surprised to see him work his way into the rotation here.

RT-Byers and Scott are listed as the co-starters here with Early behind them. I haven't seen anything that says Byers won't be the starter and this is another spot that you could see Otto battle for playing time after practicing at three different positions during camp.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.