ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Ting finishes with flurry or birdies to win Folds of Honor Collegiate

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
FSU sports information:

Florida State’s Mirabel Ting birdied five of her last six holes and won the individual championship of the Third Annual Folds of Honor Collegiate at the American Dunes Golf Club. Ting’s third career win helped Florida State to a second place finish in the team standings as Ting (first), junior Lottie Woad (tied for third), and freshman Sophia Fullbrook (tied for sixth) all earned top 10 individual finishes in the power-packed first event of the fall season for the No. 6 ranked Seminoles.

Arizona, with two players in the top six, and four in the top 21 of the individual standings, won the team championship with a three-stroke victory over Florida State. The Seminoles finished nine strokes ahead of third placed finishing Ohio State. Ting, who carded a 68 in the final round, defeated Arizona’s Carolina Melgrati by two strokes to win her third carer championship. Megan Streicher finished in a tie for third with Florida State’s Woad as the par finished with 3 under par scores of 213.

“This was a really good week of golf for our team,” said Head Coach Amy Bond. “It’s a good first week because it was the first tournament of the fall, and we didn’t have a lot of practice time. There are a lot of positives to come from this event as well as weaknesses that need attention.”

Ting got hot at the right time as she carded six birdies on her final 10 holes to win her third career collegiate championship. She was one over par on her first eight holes and six under par on her final 10 holes to overtake Melgrati who led the tournament over the course of the first 36 holes. The junior was even par at the turn, and five under par on her back nine with five birdies and four holes scores at par to take over the lead and win the championship. She finished in first place by two strokes with a 6 under par total of 210 for the 54 hole event.

“I was in shock, actually,” said Ting about her string of five consecutive bridies. “I wasn’t really sure what was happening. I asked coach Ryan (Heisey) to walk with me on the par three hole No. 12. We have this joke that when I see Ryan, our assistant coach, I’ll make birdies. He followed me the entire last seven holes and they just kept coming. Thanks to coach Ryan.”

The victory was Ting’s third as a collegiate player, and second as a Seminole. She won the spring 2023 Moon Invitational as a freshman at Augusta University and the spring 2024 as a sophomore at Florida State.

“I’m very proud of Mirabel,” said Bond. “Especially for the way she gave us a chance at the end. Lottie played great golf as did Sophia in her first career tournament.”

Woad carded a 2 under par score of 70 to finish with a 3 under par score of 213. She finished in a tie for third place in the individual standings.

Woad carded four birdies and finished the championship at 1 under par over her last six holes. She was 2 strokes under par with three birdies over her final 14 holes of the final round. She totaled 11 birdies in fishing under par for the 11th consecutive event as a Seminole. She has finished each of her events under par since finishing at 8 strokes under par in the 2023 fall season opening ANNIKA Intercollegiate.

Woad has now earned three consecutive top three finishes (third at the 2024 Las Vegas Regional Championship, second at the NCAA Championship Finals, and now tied for third at the Folds of Honor. Woad has finished the top three of in 11 of her 20 career events as a Seminoles.

Freshman Sophia Fullbrook finished in a tie for sixth place in her collegiate debut for the Seminoles. She carded scores of 73-69-75 for a 2 over par total of 217. Fullbrook totaled a 69 in the second round – the second-lowest single round score of the tournament by a Seminole.

Senior Kaylah Williams (73 in the final round) and freshman Christina Surcey (76) both played their best rounds of golf in Wednesday’s final round.

The Seminoles’ next event comes at the Belmar Golf Club at the Schoner Fall Classic in Norman, Okla., Sept., 21-23.

Third Annual Folds of Honor Collegiate/Sept 9-11, 2024

American Dunes Golf Club/Grand Haven, Mich./Par 72

2/15., Florida State, 871

1., Mirabel Ting, 210

T3., Lottie Woad, 213

T6., Sophia Fullbrook, 217

T41., Kaylah Williams, 231

T64., Christina Surcey, 239

Third Annual Folds of Honor Collegiate/Sept 9-11, 2024

American Dunes Golf Club/Grand Haven, Mich./Par 72

1.-Arizona, 868

2.-FLORIDA STATE, 871