UFC sells for $4 Billion

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
Dayum!

UFC sells for $4 billion to WME-IMG group, Dana White remains president
After two months of speculation, UFC's owners have sold away the company for a massive sum

According to CBS Las Vegas affiliate KLAS-TV and the New York Times, which previously reported the sale, an announcement is expected as early as Monday.

The primary owners of UFC, Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta, held an 80 percent stake under their parent company, Zuffa. White, who owned nine percent of UFC, ran the day-to-day operations of Zuffa and served as UFC's president and CEO, roles he said he will keep following the sale. The Fertittas and White will each retain small minority ownership percentages following the sale.

The $4 billion sum to be paid for UFC is is expected to be the largest in sports history. It marks a nearly 2,000 percent return for Zuffa, which bought UFC for $2 million in 2001

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/news/r...lion-to-wme-img-dana-white-remains-president/

Awesome investment if you were there to get it. Wonder what, if anything, the new owners will change. With Dana staying on, I don't know that I see much change coming in the short term at least.

Awesome investment if you were there to get it. Wonder what, if anything, the new owners will change. With Dana staying on, I don't know that I see much change coming in the short term at least.

1 change I know the fighters would like to see gone yesterday is the crappy Reebok deal...
I've been watching the UFC since UFC 1...It's come a long way since the bare knuckle, no rounds, no weight classes (which I liked) and groin punches being allowed days.

Reactions: BelemNole
1 change I know the fighters would like to see gone yesterday is the crappy Reebok deal...

Agreed, but I doubt that happens. I think Dan was a huge fan (due to the money he would receive by the deal) so with him staying, I don't see it changing. And it has had the organization money, so why change that deal until more fighters leave. Great to see the investors making billions, but many/most of the fighters make peanuts.

I think that is one disparity they should address, is the pay disparity across the fighters.

Dana White turning his 180k investment (he owned 9%) into 360 Mill...and still staying on and getting paid as president

Agreed, but I doubt that happens. I think Dan was a huge fan (due to the money he would receive by the deal) so with him staying, I don't see it changing. And it has had the organization money, so why change that deal until more fighters leave. Great to see the investors making billions, but many/most of the fighters make peanuts.

I think that is one disparity they should address, is the pay disparity across the fighters.

The labor pay issue will eventually get the UFC like it gets every other sport.

These guys fight too much, take too much punishment, with too little security to make the kind of money they make. UFC has the monopoly status for all intents right now, and the sport is still in its relative infancy, so its really benefiting from the situation that other sports had in the 40s, 50s and 60s. It might take another 20 years, but it will eventually suffer the drawbacks (from a fan's perspective) of an empowered labor market, which are plenty.

I think that is one disparity they should address, is the pay disparity across the fighters.[/QUOTE]
While I'll agree there are some peculiar payouts, the pay scale has improved drastically over the past few years. One thing for sure is that if you move the PPV numbers, you will get paid nicely. Lesnar getting $2.5 mil. was obviously done in hopes of the add'l buys it would get. A lot of people gripe about fighter x only getting x $ when newcomer x(Sage Northcutt to name one got $100k) is getting paid more.Fighter x may have been on the end of his contract he signed 2 or 3 years ago. People don't know the how the contracts are structured but ultimately the fighter signs the contract. Everyone thinks these guys are not paid well, go look at Bellator's or WSOF payouts. Only the very top fighters in those org's barely make 6 figures. Heck, Mark Hunt, which has a record of like 12-11 just got $700k. Miesha Tate made $500k and the list goes on. One very questionable payout was TJ Dillashaw only getting $50k. Being the former champ I would of thought he would be 6 figures. Just breaking into the game is what is brutal pay. Only getting $13k has to suck but as with most people just starting out they get a 'base' pay.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT