ADVERTISEMENT

Unbelievable fatal car crash

Yep, heard about that. Saw the body was up on the sign for 3 hours or something like that. Gruesome.

So this happened in my home town a few days ago. The driver was ejected out of his car and onto the overhead exit sign.

http://abc7.com/news/victim-ejected-onto-5-fwy-sign-after-crash-near-griffith-park/1059279/

Just one reason why I think it's stupid that some people refuse to wear seat belts and others ride bikes. I've seen plenty of times in real life and in gory photos where people get literally ripped in half after accidents where they're not in a car buckled down. The speed, weight and torque exerted on our bodies is not meant to be held up by a simple spine and guts with no protection between the ribs and pelvis so you will frequently see bodies of people still technically alive ripped right down the center. I had the misfortune of seeing a guy in Atlanta who had gotten ejected from his bike ripped in two basically in front of me and he was still technically alive clawing at his guts and screaming for at least a minute or two. When you get ripped in half like that it seems that it happens to quickly for your body to recognize it and put you blissfully unconscious because there are plenty of videos and my situation is not rare at all where people are fully conscious after being ripped in half across the midsection by the torque forces.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Sorry for his family, but I expect Sam and Dean Wincester to be on the scene posing as highway safety officials. We can all see what really happened here. And FSU76tribe / that sounds horrible. I'm going to unread that last post.

Sorry for his family, but I expect Sam and Dean Wincester to be on the scene posing as highway safety officials. We can all see what really happened here. And FSU76tribe / that sounds horrible. I'm going to unread that last post.

Yeah I've had the misfortune of seeing two bikers ripped in half in person. One where it was the torque force on ejection during a high speed impact and another where it was a relatively minor accident in Atlanta where if he'd been in ANY car he would have been fine as it was a low speed impact but it knocked him off the bike into the road where he went under the wheels of a soccer mom in a SUV. That's why you will NEVER see me on a bike or a scooter. The guy squished and ripped in half died quickly, not so much for the other guy.

Yeah I've had the misfortune of seeing two bikers ripped in half in person. One where it was the torque force on ejection during a high speed impact and another where it was a relatively minor accident in Atlanta where if he'd been in ANY car he would have been fine as it was a low speed impact but it knocked him off the bike into the road where he went under the wheels of a soccer mom in a SUV. That's why you will NEVER see me on a bike or a scooter. The guy squished and ripped in half died quickly, not so much for the other guy.

Well at least in Atlanta. I'm not even in Atlanta that often just 2-3 times a year to visit friends and relatives and I only lived there during the 96 Summer Olympics for a job with Kodak yet I've seen four fatal accidents in front of me in Atlanta and the suburbs to the north.

Had a guy here in San Antonio ejected from his bike into a Sea World sign. It instantly severed both legs....about 2 miles from my house. Pretty gruesome!

"Firefighters had to figure out how to remove the body"?!? Uhhhh...gravity? Push him off..... he's already dead. Can't get more dead.

thumbnail.php

I know a guy who refuses to wear a seatbelt. He's an attorney who graduated from FSU as well. One would think he would be smarter than that.

Total idiot.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Just one reason why I think it's stupid that some people refuse to wear seat belts and others ride bikes. I've seen plenty of times in real life and in gory photos where people get literally ripped in half after accidents where they're not in a car buckled down. The speed, weight and torque exerted on our bodies is not meant to be held up by a simple spine and guts with no protection between the ribs and pelvis so you will frequently see bodies of people still technically alive ripped right down the center. I had the misfortune of seeing a guy in Atlanta who had gotten ejected from his bike ripped in two basically in front of me and he was still technically alive clawing at his guts and screaming for at least a minute or two. When you get ripped in half like that it seems that it happens to quickly for your body to recognize it and put you blissfully unconscious because there are plenty of videos and my situation is not rare at all where people are fully conscious after being ripped in half across the midsection by the torque forces.

You know, you could have just stopped after the first sentence. o_O

Reactions: GoNolesTX
You know, you could have just stopped after the first sentence. o_O

Nah I think anyone who rides a bike on the highway or gets caught driving a car without seatbelt should be obligated to watch just one video of the still technically alive aftermath every month. That would lower the highway fatalities instantaneously

Good grief, there was one up in Triangle, VA where a car swerved and got stuck under a box truck and it crushed the little car, there was blood everywhere and all you could see was the guy looking at you and his lips say help me. Sad. Yikes.

As a teenager I was the passenger(front seat) in a car that flipped end over end then rolled a couple times. I did NOT have a seatbelt on. The state highway patrolman said if I would have had my seatbelt on I would have most likely died. The entire passenger side door was pushed into the middle of the car and a steel post impaled the windshield. I ended up being wedged in that space between the top of the backseats and the rear window. Walked away with very few scratches or anything. I typically do not wear a seatbelt to this day.

As a teenager I was the passenger(front seat) in a car that flipped end over end then rolled a couple times. I did NOT have a seatbelt on. The state highway patrolman said if I would have had my seatbelt on I would have most likely died. The entire passenger side door was pushed into the middle of the car and a steel post impaled the windshield. I ended up being wedged in that space between the top of the backseats and the rear window. Walked away with very few scratches or anything. I typically do not wear a seatbelt to this day.
But you know the odds of that are so slim that it still makes sense to wear a belt, no?

Google Saudi Arabia Roll over crash watch the video and tell me how safe it is without seat belts. With it, they would have survived. Without, one of them gets his arm ripped off from the force and both are thrown for quite some distance.

Edit you'll get two. One that says Bad crash and another unrelated accident which also shows what I'm talking about labeled "Warning Extremely Graphic".

500x1000px-LL-8cd8239e_its-science-anchorman.gif

I imagine such a traumatic event made an impression but do us all a favor, wear a seatbelt.

"Shortly before the crash, the CHP received a call at 7 a.m. about the driver of a Ford Fiesta traveling recklessly."

"Pananian had always worn a seatbelt before Friday’s crash, his cousin said.

Pananian, who was a car aficionado, had even installed a racing safety harness for his driver’s seat, his cousin said."

two interesting snippets. Sherlock Noleclone deduces that the guy liked to drive like an a$$hat in his car, so much so that he had a special racing safety harness in his seat. A special racing safety harness that was improperly tethered. He was probably using a GoPro thinking how awesome the youtube comments would be later that night.

The idea of a 5 points harness in the driver's seat of a Ford Fiesta makes me giggle.

Based on what was left of the car it was a Fiesta ST. The Recaro seats are a factory option. It's not the fastest car in the world but just shy of 200 HP in a little car like that means they are pretty quick.

Based on what was left of the car it was a Fiesta ST. The Recaro seats are a factory option. It's not the fastest car in the world but just shy of 200 HP in a little car like that means they are pretty quick.

I was envisioning the 120hp model with an intake glued on the hood...

I do wear my seatbelt, but interestingly I wouldn't exist if my parents had been wearing them 50 years ago. They were ejected from a car that was completely destroyed a fraction of a second later. Also my sister was in an accident without her seatbelt on and it prevented her losing both her legs. I know the odds are slim, but my family has been saved by not wearing seatbelts.

I do wear my seatbelt, but interestingly I wouldn't exist if my parents had been wearing them 50 years ago. They were ejected from a car that was completely destroyed a fraction of a second later. Also my sister was in an accident without her seatbelt on and it prevented her losing both her legs. I know the odds are slim, but my family has been saved by not wearing seatbelts.

I quite literally wouldn't be here if I had been paying attention, driving with two hands on ten and two and the road I was on had been smooth and not had a divot. That doesn't mean I advocate zoned out driving, poor road upkeep or driving one handed.

When I was at FSU in undergrad I was driving down 19 very late at night maybe 3 or 4 AM. It was about an hour and a half into the drive and there's no one else really on the road so I'm kind of zoned out just chilling in the fast lane leaning back one hand on the top of the steering wheel where it's not supposed to be. Then Bump, I hit a large divot in the road which causes my hand to jerk slightly to the right getting my car moving towards the right hand lane. It's only at that point that my lights manage to light up the reflector of a car speeding directly at me head on. It's a drunk with his lights completely off and thinking he's on the other part of the divided highway probably doing 100 mph while I'm doing my casual speeding of about 80 mph. I have just enough time to get the car completely out of his way BECAUSE I was already halfway over because of the bump and my hand jerking the wheel to start. Even still his front bumper managed to scrape a little bit of paint off the side of my front bumper. If I'd been hit head on with a combined speed of 180 mph there was no way I would have survived and even if he'd just clipped me and I rolled at 80 mph I probably wouldn't have survived at least intact. If I'd been paying attention I would have straddled the divot placing me even closer to him, and if I'd had two hands on the wheel the bump wouldn't have started the car turning to the other lane.

So the Moral of my story is I'm a lucky SOB who should be dead. NOT that I should start driving zoned out and one handed on a regular basis. Similarly you were ridiculously lucky and no one should pass up the safety of a seatbelt. For every one SOB like yourself saved because somehow they were moved and not broken during an accident there's 100 broken and twitching their final death dance on the road.

Reactions: Bartdog
I quite literally wouldn't be here if I had been paying attention, driving with two hands on ten and two and the road I was on had been smooth and not had a divot. That doesn't mean I advocate zoned out driving, poor road upkeep or driving one handed.

When I was at FSU in undergrad I was driving down 19 very late at night maybe 3 or 4 AM. It was about an hour and a half into the drive and there's no one else really on the road so I'm kind of zoned out just chilling in the fast lane leaning back one hand on the top of the steering wheel where it's not supposed to be. Then Bump, I hit a large divot in the road which causes my hand to jerk slightly to the right getting my car moving towards the right hand lane. It's only at that point that my lights manage to light up the reflector of a car speeding directly at me head on. It's a drunk with his lights completely off and thinking he's on the other part of the divided highway probably doing 100 mph while I'm doing my casual speeding of about 80 mph. I have just enough time to get the car completely out of his way BECAUSE I was already halfway over because of the bump and my hand jerking the wheel to start. Even still his front bumper managed to scrape a little bit of paint off the side of my front bumper. If I'd been hit head on with a combined speed of 180 mph there was no way I would have survived and even if he'd just clipped me and I rolled at 80 mph I probably wouldn't have survived at least intact. If I'd been paying attention I would have straddled the divot placing me even closer to him, and if I'd had two hands on the wheel the bump wouldn't have started the car turning to the other lane.

So the Moral of my story is I'm a lucky SOB who should be dead. NOT that I should start driving zoned out and one handed on a regular basis. Similarly you were ridiculously lucky and no one should pass up the safety of a seatbelt. For every one SOB like yourself saved because somehow they were moved and not broken during an accident there's 100 broken and twitching their final death dance on the road.
I said that in my post. I know and I wear mine.

That's a crazy story

I was envisioning the 120hp model with an intake glued on the hood...
Me too! Until I saw the wheel and realized it was an ST.

My Aunt was saved by not wearing her seatbelt. Mom was too. The reality is the odds are against us all if we don't wear them. Those stories of the non wearing seatbelt saves are the ones we remember because they are the oddity.

Airbags saving lives though....... that's where the stats don't work.

Me too! Until I saw the wheel and realized it was an ST.

My Aunt was saved by not wearing her seatbelt. Mom was too. The reality is the odds are against us all if we don't wear them. Those stories of the non wearing seatbelt saves are the ones we remember because they are the oddity.

Airbags saving lives though....... that's where the stats don't work.

I remember this really good looking kid in high school whose face got more than a little sliced up by the windshield. That was 1983 and I have worn a seat belt ever since.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT