ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATED Spring practice notes: April 4 (1:33)

Ben_Jones

Contributor
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Your update from Jimbo Fisher. Happy Easter, everyone.
Jimbo said it was a good practice today. Worked more specifically on situations: 2-minute, red zone, third down, running clock, short yardage. Lots of four-wide sets with so many tight ends out.

Guys who got praise today: Trey Marshall, Ermon Lane, Roderick Johnson, Sean Maguire, Kareem Are, Rick Leonard. Lane and Johnson had been struggling but sounds like they bounced back today. Ryan Green also got some praise while getting work with the starting defense today. "He's learning," Fisher said. "He's studying very hard."

Tyler Hunter is out for spring with a torn meniscus. He'll have surgery and be out for about six weeks.

Mentioned earlier that De'Andre Johnson was working with the second team today. Fisher said he and John Franklin have both worked there, but he likes what he's seeing this spring from the freshman: "De'Andre has done a good job. He has to continue to learn and he's doing that, but even when he's not sure of what to do he tends to do the right thing. I think De'Andre is going to be a very good player. I like his progress. I see where he can be a good player. He's got a long way to go but he can be a good player. Throws the ball really well, instinctive, runs the ball well, he's actually faster than I thought. I knew he was quick, he's faster than I thought."

Jimbo declined to say much about how PJ Williams' arrest might affect his draft stock: "I have no idea. That's for the pro guys [to answer]."

Jimbo said Mario Pender, who got positive reviews in Monday's scrimmage, continues to play well. Jacques Patrick still makes some freshman mistakes, but he said Johnathan Vickers has started to come around as well. Fisher said this could be one of the deeper RB groups he's had at Florida State.Along with Hunter's meniscus, I updated a couple injuries on the list below that we were told today.

FSU went in full pads today, one week out from Saturday's spring game.

It's been a while since I've given you all a full list of who is out, including the guys who are done for spring. I started taking a look around practice today and several of those guys were hanging out, which makes it easier to tell just how many guys it is. I counted them up and was surprised by the number.

21 scholarship players were out today. Every position group, except for QB and K/P/LS had at least one player out. I think FSU has about 68 guys on scholarship on campus right now, as the rest of the recruiting class won't get here until summer. That means about 30 percent of the guys were out today. Position by position, here's a full accounting for who was not participating today:

Running back
Freddie Stevenson (hyperextended knee)

Wide receiver
Kermit Whitfield
Da'Vante Phillips (groin surgery)

Tight end
Mavin Saunders
Ryan Izzo
Jeremy Kerr
(yes, it was only one walk-on working at tight end today)

Offensive line
Chad Mavety (was not wearing a boot today, but still out, presumably with his concussion)
Derrick Kelly (concussion)
Ethan Frith
Ryan Hoefeld (meniscus)

Defensive line
Derrick Mitchell (back)

Linebacker
Terrance Smith (in a boot today with turf toe)
Reggie Northrup (ACL)
Matthew Thomas (shoulder)

Defensive end
Chris Casher (shoulder)
Lorenzo Featherston (concussion)
Jacob Pugh (concussion)
Josh Sweat (ACL)
Delvin Purifoy

Defensive back
Tyler Hunter (meniscus)
Colin Blake (shoulder)

The defense is hit especially hard, obviously. I'd expect at least 9 of those guys who were out to be either first string or second string, so almost a full unit is missing.

One important thing to remember: Missing spring isn't a harbinger of a bad season for a guy. Dalvin Cook missed all of last spring after a freak shoulder accident and turned out just fine. This isn't a reason to panic, but wanted to make sure you all have an accurate picture of what's going on.

OK, on to the notes about the guys who were practicing:

Looked like De'Andre Johnson was getting work with the second team offense. First time I've seen that so I'll try to check on it going forward to make sure it wasn't just a one-day deal to get him some more snaps. That would be quite a surprise for spring, obviously.

With Tyler Hunter out today there was some shuffling in the secondary. I saw Jalen Ramsey back at nickel, which had Marquez White and Ryan Green as the two cornerbacks. White was working at the boundary corner and Green was on the field side.

Samford had a few coaches there, including Travis Trickett. Chance Trickett was at practice as well.

Mickey Andrews was out there today. Talking with quite a few recruits who were visiting.

This post was edited on 4/4 11:57 AM by Ben_Jones

This post was edited on 4/4 1:34 PM by Ben_Jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.