ADVERTISEMENT

Updates from postgame press conference following 31-28 win over UNC

CoreyClark

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
Dec 10, 2017
Hey guys, what a win, huh?
Had em all the way!
Anyway, I'll be transcribing the postgame press conferences here in a few minutes.
So enjoy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So proud of our football team ... continuing to prepare, continuing to push ... these guys believe in what we're doing. Coming off last week, we saw a whole bunch of flashes ... to play together. ... I thought this was our best week of preparation. ... Guys had tremendous energy, playing off each other ... And how about special teams showing up? Two blocked punts. ... When you're playing a good team they're going to make plays, we just wanted to make sure we stayed focused on the play in front of us ... We still have a long way to go. ...We had some foolish plays in the second half that are going to get cleaned up .... Really proud of those guys, to see that reaction, to see that celebration, that was pretty special."

"The best way you can see buy in is by response. ... We're still growing, still learning, still adapting to the expectations and the standard we're going to require in all aspects ... we're a work in progress, but when you get a chance to see growth, improvement, investment ... the guys that are here are continuing to work. ... That's what tonight is about ... to see the joy in their face ... it was pretty special."

"Really no words for it. It's so special. ... Since December 8, since i walked into that room with my team, this group ... it was about believing in what was coming. ... To see the celebrations, to see the joy, stacked against all odds, nobody gave us a chance tonight, they didn't worry about what other people thought of them ... they just played their game. ... Tonight was about these guys. It was their moment. And they definitely deserved the victory."

"It means everything (to win in the 4th quarter). We're going to be able to learn a lot from the film we watch tomorrow." Says they want to finish in everything. On and off the field. It's about finishing. ... He says he got the whole team together in the fourth quarter ... and smiled and said this is what you want to be in. "I'm so proud in, and I think it's going to be monumental for us to grown and continue to build off this example."

On the D-line: "I thought the defense responded incredibly. ... That was heart. What you saw on that field was guys making a choice and giving it their all." He says he talked to D-line after the game specifically ... "that is a dang good offense we just faced, and our guys just continued to rise to the challenge. ... I was just so proud of our defensive front."

"They understood all it takes is one play. We created a couple of negatives on the final drive. Give them credit, they made a couple of incredible catches ... but our guys were ready for the next one. ... They put us in a great position to win that game and they finished the job."

On Jordan Travis: "It's a little bit challenging. Jordan is an incredible competitor, he made some unbelievable plays tonight. .. He led this offense, and I think there's a great deal of confidence in him. ... He really embraced the package we put together. And in this game, he did an extraordinary job in managing." Says he was limited a bit there at the end of the game because of his health, but that he did what he had to do.

"It was big. We knew we were going to be aggressive on our punt pressure unit. .. I think Coach JP put together a great plan. .. Two blocked punts is huge. ... There were some things in the second half that we are going to have to clean up and grow from ... but if you look at that last two minute drive, that's something I'm going to remember for a long time."

On Briggs: "We've been talking to Dennis throughout his decision. Absolutely respected it ... talked to him probably two or three weeks ago.... defensive coaches have been staying in touch. Dennis said this was something he was thinking about." Said they talked to him on Sunday night, talked to his family, and he made the choice. ... "To do what he did tonight was definitely impressive. ... Dennis provided a great boost for this team."

"To see the celebration, to see the hugs ... that's the greatest thing about football. I'm honored to coach this group."

On Marvin Wilson: "It's great. Marvin is a tremendous player. ... He's just continued to work. That's a credit to him. It's not always about the stat line ... there are people gameplanning for him, there are things he's experiencing throughout the early part of the season, but tonight in those key moments I thought he showed up at a key level. ... He's an extremely hard worker and I think it showed up tonight in a big moment."

On Travis: "The way he approaches all that he does, he brings a spark. ... He's not the most outgoing person ... but the thing that I think gives everyone great confidence is that he knows what he's supposed to do. ... He had a couple of incredible runs." Said he even loved his reaction after the INT. "He understood what he had to do moving forward .. he's definitely a great leader for this team and somebody we all feed off of."

"I believe in these guys ... i want them to have these experiences. ... We're going to come back tomorrow and coach them hard again. ... the most exciting thing to me is we beat a top 5 football team and we didn't even play a clean football game, especially in the second half. ... Our guys showed me something (on last drive of ND) ... they showed me something and showed me a response. ... When they see the reward of that, that's the celebration and the excitement, we're still going to push, because I know we have so much more .... We'll put our best foot forward. There's no limits I will put on what this team can accomplish, and we're going to continue to work."

That's a wrap for Norvell. Dude talks pretty fast normally, but this was Jimbo-esque. I mean, he was flying! he was lightning lips tonight. That was tough for yours truly. But I did my best!

Stay tuned for some players.

Jordan Travis and Devontay Love-Taylor are the first two players.

Travis: "I feel 100 percent. I feel great. .. There was no way they were going to keep me off the field. ... I'm so grateful we got the win."

DLT: "I think it's a big win. This is just a first step. I think we're going to continue to improve because we still haven't played our best ball. ... Whenever I made a mistake, because I made plenty of mistakes, another lineman would pick me up. ... Same thing for every position group and the whole team."

Travis: "We won this game, we're going to enjoy this game tonight, and then we're going to get back to work."

DLT: "It's just response. Yeah, we went down, we had a tough loss (to Miami), but we've just got to keep improving."

Travis: "I feel very comfortable. I couldn't feel comfortable without the guys up front blocking ... That's where it starts ... It's just a great feeling. As I keep improving, ... I'm still looking for improvement in every aspect, I've just got to keep improving and getting better."

DLT: "We had a lot of penalties and mistakes ... that's what we have to do is fix our mistakes" and we can play even better.

Travis: "The defense played amazing tonight. .. They're the reason we won the game to be honest. They came up big in the fourth quarter ... we had so much energy, we were comfortable, we had a big lead, that's football, they made it close and the defense came up big."

Travis: "We were all locked in, trying to cheering them on to make a play ... It was the greatest feeling I've ever had in my life. ... Winning is the best feeling, and we won. We're blessed."

DLT: "All the work we put in, we felt like it paid off tonight."

And that's a wrap for Travis and DLT. We'll see who else we get here in a second.

Jaiden Lars Woodbey is up next.

JLW: "We came out here and did what we had to do. We held the air raid offense to 28 points."

JLW: "Everybody doing their job and playing together. I think that was one of the main things we talked about, playing together and making sure everybody does what they need to do."

JLW: "It's definitely a blessing from my perspective." Says he was asking his mom to put his socks on at this time last year, because he was going through rehab. "The tireless labor paid off."

JLW on goal line stop vs. ND: "Coach Norvell always talks about improving every day ... that's what we're focused on."

JLW on locker room: "It was great. It was a blessing. We're very excited. We're grateful. There's a lot of hard work to put into it, and I'm thankful to be a part of it."

JLW: "I think it just came down to a matter of heart those last two minutes ... we had to lay it on the line. Scheme, everything goes out the window in the last two minutes. Where's the heart? Are you willing to lay it on the line the last two minutes."

That's a wrap for JLW.
A couple more are still coming.

Josh Kaindoh and Janarius Robinson is up next

Kaindoh: "They had four strong and one on the backside. ... I kept getting caught on that play earlier in the game." Said he was talking to a coach on the sideline about that play, and he said instead of just running out on the rush, he ran with the back. "I just caught it and ran."

Kaindoh: "It started i practice. we came back after notre dame and we just made up our mind that we needed to practice harder."

J-Rob: "Just be aggressive. Just try to put pressure on the quarterback."

J-Rob: "It really means a lot. We just want to change the culture and start finishing games. ... We came out and started fast and I think that started momentum on both sides of the ball."

Kaindoh on Briggs: "We had some guys go down ... we had been talking to him, he was still in group chats ... i saw him getting a test and I didn't put it together, like why he was getting a test ... it was like some free agency type stuff. It was crazy. That's my boy. And i feel like that's what brotherhood is all about, and for him to come back when we needed him .. that's what it's all about."

J-Rob: "One percent. We preach that. We try to get better every day on something."

Kaindoh: "Two years ago at Notre Dame, obviously they beat the hell out of us.... this time it was different. And I felt like after we went back to practice ... it was just go harder."

J-Rob said it felt good to get a little payback after the last time UNC was in Doak and celebrated that game-winning FG. He told some of the younger guys about that game and that celebration. So, he said that was a motivational tool.

And that's a wrap for the two DEs.

That's a wrap for the players, too.
Thanks for stopping by. Congrats on the win.

And if any of you fools have ANY love in your heart for me, why not send some well wishes tomorrow for my Bravos?

Thanks.
Much love.

Clark. Out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News