ADVERTISEMENT

We’ll catch Clemson sooner than you think.

luxboy22

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2006
I’ve seen many state it’ll be several years before we can even *compete* (not beat) with Clemson. Never agreed. Same posters made mirrored statements about us and uf in 2009–but what later happened, and more importantly, how?

From what I can tell the primary differences between FSU and Clemson the past several years have been:

*Culture/Coaching
*Development
*QB play

Up until the past 1-2 years FSU actually had a talent advantage on paper, or at best they were even with us. A recent article written by a Clemson writer even outlined this.

How did they rise so quickly, and FSU fall? The above reasons. FSU’s coach checked out and theirs hit the accelerator.

So, by now it should be well known we ain’t getting Bob Stoops...but turns out I’m truly far more excited about this new staff than I thought I’d be. They have the energy to match Dabo/Venables—something we’ve lacked. But it seems they also know what the hell they're doing.

Granted, not one of them were big names to US, but that doesn’t mean they won’t be great. In many ways FSU fans are a bunch of spoiled little pricks, me included :)

Anyway, I personally believe we’ve addressed the coaching/culture/development issue with the new staff. However, a key will be how well they can get the current players to drop old habits and truly give a damn. That’ll determine a lot. Can’t run off everybody. I say they pull it off.

Next is QB—we won’t have a Winston or Lawrence, but I believe under the new staff we’ll have QB play that’s significantly superior to what we’ve seen since 2014. We’ll see a clear difference, and I don’t think it’ll be a player that’s previously started here.

Now for the talent—yes I’d say the past 1-2 years they’ve pulled away....a bit. However, I believe our legit staff will find ways to close many gaps via JUCO and Grad Transfers, and I don’t mean with players like Hornibrook or Roberts who did nothing to improve the talent level. More like the below type guys who greatly improved our talent soon as they arrived.

Mike Harris
Tank Carradine
Menelik Watson

Clemson is again losing a TON after this year. I know, we’ve said it before, and they didn’t miss a beat...but I sincerely doubt they have another Lawrence on that roster. Damn sure hope not, and if they don’t then it makes them much more beatable in 2021 after Lawrence has taken his behind to the NFL, which again I hope he does.

How much does QB matter? Well, ask yourself if you truly believe Clemson is near as good and wins the 2018 title with Kelly at QB? Do they even make the playoffs?

So, I personally think we either beat Clemson or give them a holy scare in 2021. Mark me down for that one. I really want to say 2020, but I’m trying to not be a homer ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News