ADVERTISEMENT

What is it with contractors and customer service?

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
Some, not all, of course. Late callbacks, no callbacks, not showing up when they say they will, etc etc

Are they busy enough they don't care about losing a potential customer? Just bad at business? It's always struck me as odd how many of them start off on the wrong foot.

You get what you pay for.

I am a subcontractor (flooring) and I constantly see how some companies can charge whatever they want (within reason) because customers know the job will get done. I pride my company on being the same way...if we say we will be there Monday at 8 am, we try to show up Monday at 7:55.

If you are in the South Florida area I can point you in the right direction for whatever you need.

I tried late last year to get a concrete patio poured. I couldn't get a single contractor to even come out. This year I started contacting them in late March. After contacting roughly 10 different contractors, I finally got 1 to show up. He suggested I just build a deck. I was shocked.. He then stated he doesn't do decks. I was like, WTF?? I told him I wasn't interested in building a deck so he told me to give him a couple days to work up an estimate. He never called. I was able to get another guy to come out on a Monday. He looked at it, gave me a price then I told him to do it. He said he would be out Thursday to prep and Friday to pour. Thursday rolled around, he didn't show. I called him and he told me he was stuck out of town working another job. He told me he'd be out the following week. He never showed. I called another business. They told me they would be out on x day. They didn't show. The guy that was out of town decided to show up almost a month later. I was like, are you kidding me?? I went ahead and had him do it only because I was tired of practically begging contractors to take my money. I've struggled mightily to have some other stuff done. Some of the companies I talked to about some other projects told me they were booked solid for 3-4 month's. I was shocked that they stay that busy.

Wait till the next market collapse. They'll be begging to pour your concrete.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT