ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Basketball

semispear

Seminole Insider
Jul 24, 2013
Amaya Brown has transferred back home to New Mexico.

So far we have:
Jones => Louisville
Jackson => Georgia Tech
Rivers => NC State
Brown => New Mexico
Puisis => TBD
Nicoletti => TBD

Looks like the Noles will be adding a guard soon (leading scorer from a mid-major program).

I was hoping we could land some of these high profile/All Americans that are in the portal but it seems like there isn’t any interest from those players.

Brooke needs to add at least 3-4 players from the portal. The current roster doesn’t have any wings. Hope we can get more movement soon as other ACC teams have been very active in the portal picking up some major pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Noles61
Another update: Jazmine Massengil is visiting FSU this weekend.

She was a top 25 recruit and MCAA in the 2018 class and signed with Tennessee. Spent two years there before transferring to Kentucky for the past two seasons.

Not a big scorer but a very good playmaker and at 6’0 adds size on the perimeter. Averaged 7 ppg and 5 assists last season. Would be a solid replacement for Jackson.

Reactions: squiffynole
Amaya Brown has transferred back home to New Mexico.

So far we have:
Jones => Louisville
Jackson => Georgia Tech
Rivers => NC State
Brown => New Mexico
Puisis => TBD
Nicoletti => TBD

Looks like the Noles will be adding a guard soon (leading scorer from a mid-major program).

I was hoping we could land some of these high profile/All Americans that are in the portal but it seems like there isn’t any interest from those players.

Brooke needs to add at least 3-4 players from the portal. The current roster doesn’t have any wings. Hope we can get more movement soon as other ACC teams have been very active in the portal picking up some major pieces.

Brooke gets her first recruit/transfer!

Taylor O’Brien will use her last year of eligibility at FSU. She averaged 17 points and 6.5 rebounds at Bucknell last season to go along with 75 steals. Scores 35 in their first round WNIT program.

Bucknell is solid mid-major program who almost upset us in the first round of the NCAAT a couple years ago.

Very solid addition for a team lacking guards/wings and experience.

Last edited:
Puisis has transferred to USF. Interesting choice, USF has picked up some really good transfer this off-season.

At this rate they may be able to scrimmage.
Lol I believe this makes nine players on roster for next season.

Gordon / Bejedi
Obrien / Latson
Massengill /
Howard / Valenzuela
Timpson / Myers

Can probably expect a couple more but the number of quality/impact transfers is dwindling. I would be happy with another wing who can shoot and a physical big.

Noles will be taking on UConn this upcoming season on Dec 18. The scheduling the past few years has been bad so glad to see Brooke adding some elite teams to the schedule.

Other updates:

- OMG had surgery on her foot earlier this month.
- We missed out on some key potential transfer his month. We still only have 9 players on roster for next season. IMO, we still need another quality big and scorer on the wing. There aren’t really any instant impact players left in the portal so not sure what the plan is there.

Based on all the transfer movement this off-season by other ACC teams. Brooke is really gonna have to coach her tail off because on paper it’s gonna be hard for this group to finish in the top 8 of the ACC. Louisville, UNC, NCST, ND, GT, Duke, Miami all added some great talent. UVA and Syracuse upgraded with their new coaching additions as well. As optimistic as I normally am, im probably not going to have high expectations for this upcoming season (with the roster as it stands now). We have quality talent but the others teams do too as well as depth.

I do think Latson has the potential to have a great year and a good chance to be freshman of the year. Timpson should see an increased role offensively and I’m interested in seeing how she does.

Noles will be taking on UConn this upcoming season on Dec 18. The scheduling the past few years has been bad so glad to see Brooke adding some elite teams to the schedule.

Other updates:

- OMG had surgery on her foot earlier this month.
- We missed out on some key potential transfer his month. We still only have 9 players on roster for next season. IMO, we still need another quality big and scorer on the wing. There aren’t really any instant impact players left in the portal so not sure what the plan is there.

Based on all the transfer movement this off-season by other ACC teams. Brooke is really gonna have to coach her tail off because on paper it’s gonna be hard for this group to finish in the top 8 of the ACC. Louisville, UNC, NCST, ND, GT, Duke, Miami all added some great talent. UVA and Syracuse upgraded with their new coaching additions as well. As optimistic as I normally am, im probably not going to have high expectations for this upcoming season (with the roster as it stands now). We have quality talent but the others teams do too as well as depth.

I do think Latson has the potential to have a great year and a good chance to be freshman of the year. Timpson should see an increased role offensively and I’m interested in seeing how she does.
Why do you think we have basically struck out in the portal?

Why do you think we have basically struck out in the portal?
We have 2 women's programs they are willing to spend on right now.
Softball and soccer.
BW was hired as a cost saving measure. After having auditioned for a year, it was apparent to anyone watching that she was not ready to lead a competitive D1 program. (it's the money)
The fact that much of her team deserted her should tell you that they agree! During the search, some on here suggested the only way to keep the team was to hire Brooke. ?#%^&&$
What top notch player is transferring into that?
Now I'd be happy to be proven wrong by Brooke, but the available evidence suggests I'm not!

Now if football gets back on track and we start making more money (boosters, TV$ etc.), then maybe they will open the wallet on the next hire!

Softball and soccer.
BW was hired as a cost saving measure. After having auditioned for a year, it was apparent to anyone watching that she was not ready to lead a competitive D1 program. (it's the money)
The fact that much of her team deserted her should tell you that they agree! During the search, some on here suggested the only way to keep the team was to hire Brooke. ?#%^&&$
Now I'd be happy to be proven wrong by Brooke, but the available evidence suggests I'm not!

Now if football gets back on track and we start making more money (boosters, TV$ etc.), then maybe they will open the wallet on the next hire!
I just hope to live long enough for another really good season.

@semispear ...this question and thoughts on Brooke's Staff? Thanks
I think Brooke brought in two solid additions. I think those two are better than what we lost (excluding Jones) but there were some really big names (many All Americans) in the portal and we didn’t land any. Realistically, I know we are not a destination that top players would want to transfer to at this time.

Many teams completely retooled their rosters through the portal and addressed their weaknesses. Post play was a concern for many last season, we didn’t bring in any posts while losing Baldwin to a fellow ACC power. 3 pt Shooting was a issue last season and we loss Puisis.

Some thought we would land Pittman’s GF but she went to Kentucky. DePaul’s star guard, who would of been an easy replacement for Jones visited us this month but ended up choosing Texas.

I really like the new assistant hire. Think he has potential to be what Lance was to Semrau. Think we will see improvement in Post players because of him and he is already casting a larger recruiting net than we have have done in the past. I like Toles but I may be biased because she is a former player. Not to sure on Carter but I don’t really know much about him. Let’s see what they can do with the 2023 class.

Softball and soccer.

Considering what they are paying Brooke, we are lucky she didn’t take another offer from another program (which she had a few this off-season). There were new some coaches hired (who I wouldn’t even trade Brooke for) that are getting paid 400k more than what she is being paid.

So I’m going to give her a chance. She had bright moments during her interim season given the circumstances and roster at the time.

Shaylee Gonzales- conference player of the year- from BYU is in the portal. We need bodies!

Noles get a 2023 international commitment from 2023 Forward - Lucia Navarro
Any clues re: what she brings to the table. Looks like rather pedestrian stats but I may be misreading.

Noles get a transfer from VT, Brianna Turnage. 6-1 Wing out of Atlanta (Former teammate of Ta’Niya Latson). She didn’t play at VT as she had supposedly given up on basketball. Former top 75 recruit (#61).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT