Women's Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer55

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
soccer experts, will the tired factor be anything at all if we play Santa Clara on Sunday?

AtlSFNole

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
We will play BYU on Monday. Not sure if I like this development or not. Wonder if the crowd will show up and who they'll be supporting.
Generally a crowd would pull for the underdog, But with BYU having just beaten the local team, we might get a bit more support. Don’t like waiting till Monday, though.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
It will be an interesting matchup. BYU is loaded with scorers from what I saw they tend to over load the offensive zone. Mark Krikorion will have a plan (and time to practice it) that I expect will include keeping the backline home and counter attacking with Jody, Gabby and Clara. As always one goal could tell the story although I would not be shocked to see several balls hit the back of the net.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
It will be an interesting matchup. BYU is loaded with scorers from what I saw they tend to over load the offensive zone. Mark Krikorion will have a plan (and time to practice it) that I expect will include keeping the backline home and counter attacking with Jody, Gabby and Clara. As always one goal could tell the story although I would not be shocked to see several balls hit the back of the net.
That was the only time I've seen BYU, but if it's typical, I like our chances. They don't pass the ball around, don't try to control. They come right at you, guns blazing. That means I'm not sure we can count on winning with only one goal.

On the other hand, the play the game right up the middle. I saw very few deep balls into the corner, almost none sent across Santa Clara's goal mouth. If they play that way against us, we should be able to narrow their attack even further.

That might mean we're likely to score on counterattacks more than on run of play. They do have a good defense, so I'm not sure poking and prodding will work for us.

supergreennole

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2019
I don’t oversimplifying but I will say this, the likelihood of a team winning the championship in their first trip to the final four is extremely, extremely unlikely. I don’t want to make it like they have no chance but in the sport, the glass ceiling is very very hard to break. That being said I think those who have said that we will need to score in order to win this game is right on, I would not like this to be a scoreless outcome where we have to win it with penalties

Reactions: runningnole

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
That was the only time I've seen BYU, but if it's typical, I like our chances. They don't pass the ball around, don't try to control. They come right at you, guns blazing. That means I'm not sure we can count on winning with only one goal.

On the other hand, the play the game right up the middle. I saw very few deep balls into the corner, almost none sent across Santa Clara's goal mouth. If they play that way against us, we should be able to narrow their attack even further.

That might mean we're likely to score on counterattacks more than on run of play. They do have a good defense, so I'm not sure poking and prodding will work for us.
That's a great look at it.

I can't get over Cristina Roque - saving the back to back open shots was one of the finest sequences I have seen from a FSU goalkeeper. I loved Cassie Miller but now Cristina and Cassie are 1A and 1A with me!

I would not like this to be a scoreless outcome where we have to win it with penalties
You and me both brother!

NoleLizards

Jul 23, 2004
We're used to facing UNC's aggressive style year in year out. We'll handle it.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
While getting increasingly nervous waiting for kickoff, I thought I’d drop a little item about two Seminoles who won’t be able to bask in the Tallahassee glory of our upcoming championship.

Lauren Flynn and Mia Justus will go from tonight’s game to the US U20 national team’s camp. They’re competing for spots on the team that will represent us in the Concacaf U20 championship next February.

I assume they’ll stay out west; the camp starts tomorrow in Chula Vista. If they make the team, they will travel to the Dominican Republic for the tournament, which runs from February 25 through March 12.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
While getting increasingly nervous waiting for kickoff, I thought I’d drop a little item about two Seminoles who won’t be able to bask in the Tallahassee glory of our upcoming championship.

Lauren Flynn and Mia Justus will go from tonight’s game to the US U20 national team’s camp. They’re competing for spots on the team that will represent us in the Concacaf U20 championship next February.

I assume they’ll stay out west; the camp starts tomorrow in Chula Vista. If they make the team, they will travel to the Dominican Republic for the tournament, which runs from February 25 through March 12.
Go Flynn and Justus.
Represent.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Go Flynn and Justus.
Represent.
It seems that little Lauren Flynn just does what she should. She is an under appreciated defender who has been able to put some into the net, especially on set pieces. Go Lauren!
Ms. Justus has stepped up into a spot that Mark seldom utilizes. She is a strong “next up” goalie, unlike any other that I can remember him grooming. Go girl!

Reactions: twins4bpyle

nutmegnole

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2002
Admittedly I do not watch a lot of soccer-or have a real appreciation for the sport-but it seems like the calls have been slanted toward BYU so far, including the yellow card, which I did not understand. It was a tough collision but the Nole player made contact with the ball first.

daveynole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Admittedly I do not watch a lot of soccer-or have a real appreciation for the sport-but it seems like the calls have been slanted toward BYU so far, including the yellow card, which I did not understand. It was a tough collision but the Nole player made contact with the ball first.
Yup.

Reactions: NoleLizards

bryanscho

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2008
I wouldn't have guessed that given your screen name

Status
Not open for further replies.