Women's Softball

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Was waiting on an eye witness report, but none seems forthcoming, so I'll give it a shot from the stream and my jumble of a box score.
First pitching: missed the start so do not know how the run came about. What I do have is Wilson went 3 1/3 giving up a run and at least 3K 1BB. Enter Enter, haha, been waiting on that one, She went 2/3: 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 hit batter. Watson came in for 1 inning, striking out the side with mostly heat. Sandercock came in for 2 innings, gave up a single, 0 K, 0 BB. Kendrick went 1/3. DuBois finished 1 2/3, no runs, no hits, K'ed 1.

18 players batted. Sid had her 2 bagger. Emma had double and scored. Belviy got a single, took off for second, fielder missed the throw, and she was lightning fast to the plate for the score. Wacaser and Hartley with RBI singles. Edenfield and Ross with 2Bs. Blankenship 2 for 3, 3 RBIs on single and double. Culp, Bright, and Edenfield were the others with RBIs.

I do not see any errors listed for FSU. I think coach has her infield looking to the future. Would guess Blankenship at SS this year, then moving to 3B, girl has an arm. Hartley looked solid at second, and if Ross can develop at SS that's great. Good to have a tall, fast, rangy shortstop.

As an old friend says, "that's all I know."
So I have to ask: Was this a report on Northwest Florida State College, or Auburn? If Auburn, my batting concerns just breathed a sigh of relief.

Tom81

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
roadtrip72, Thanks for the report.
That was a report on Auburn?

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
I'm here for today's game.

Starting out its Keen, Blankenship, Muffley and Sherrill across the infield. Wilson and Edenfield handling the pitching/catching.

Wow, Muffley just made an outstanding play to snag a hard liner.

Syd rips a triple down RF line and Wacaser follows with a double. Hallie is stout, knee brace on left leg. Next up Edenfield hits a high blast out to center. Culp whiffs on bad pitch. 3 - 0 v Thomas U.

Dynamite double play Muffley to Blankenship to Keen.

Kerr pops out - she looks like a free swinger with excellent bat speed. Muffley grounds a hit up the middle steals second then third and comes home on loose ball.

Excellent backhanded grab and throw by Syd. Three good innings by Wilson.

Wacaser rips a double down the line. Leonard SF but Wacaser dead meat at the plate after a bobble - no way Cameron should have sent her.

Wilson is fooling the batters - they look like they are easily fooled - but is losing her control some. 5 - 0 half way through.

Kerr with ground out, Edenfield smacks a single, Culp hits one the distance but foul then lines a single. Cool breeze picking up from the NW. Emma Wilson looks like she can hit, earns a walk. Keen with SF RBI. 6 - 0.

Wilson escapes fifth inning after a walk, Flaherty miscue and some long counts. Katie Bright was behind the plate, Blankenship at third, Bilvey in center, Leonard at first.

Harding shows patience to earn a walk. Blankenship triples off wall, foolishly sent home but scores on missed catch (if you can't tell I have no confidence Troy Cameron coaching third) 8 - 0 after five.

The game goes on with Enter on the mound. Blankenship with two fine plays at shortstop (if you can't tell I've fallen in love with her game).

Leonard flicks a homer to right. 9 - 0 after 6. Its getting cold!

I guess they agreed to keep playing to an inning limit. 9 - 0 after seven full.

Morgan Kendrick on the mound, good zip but a walk and I guess catchers interference followed by wild pitch. Lonni out to help her settle down - rookie nerves! Another walk and an error. Leonard comes in and shuts down the threat. 9 - 1.

I'm just noticing the FSU coaches are wearing ear buds.

Blankenship with a RBI double off CF fence. Landers wearing glasses strokes an RBI takes second on throw, Thomas University getting sloppy. I have it at 12 - 1, scoreboard not keeping up.

Strong inning by Leonard on the mound.

That's a wrap. My stars of the game go to Blankenship, Muffley, Edenfield and Wilson.

Last edited:

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
I'm here for today's game.

Starting out its Keen, Blankenship, Muffley and Sherrill across the infield. Wilson and Edenfield handling the pitching/catching.

Wow, Muffley just made an outstanding play to snag a hard liner.

Syd rips a triple down RF line and Wacaser follows with a double. Hallie is stout, knee brace on left leg. Next up Edenfield hits a high blast out to center. Culp whiffs on bad pitch. 3 - 0 v Thomas U.

Dynamite double play Muffley to Blankenship to Keen.

Kerr pops out - she looks like a free swinger with excellent bat speed. Muffley grounds a hit up the middle steals second then third and comes home on loose ball.

Excellent backhanded grab and throw by Syd. Three good innings by Wilson.

Wacaser rips a double down the line. Leonard SF but Wacaser dead meat at the plate after a bobble - no way Cameron should have sent her.

Wilson is fooling the batters - they look like they are easily fooled - but is losing her control some. 5 - 0 half way through.

Kerr with ground out, Edenfield smacks a single, Culp hits one the distance but foul then lines a single. Cool breeze picking up from the NW. Emma Wilson looks like she can hit, earns a walk. Keen with SF RBI. 6 - 0.

Wilson escapes fifth inning after a walk, Flaherty miscue and some long counts. Katie Bright was behind the plate, Blankenship at third, Bilvey in center, Leonard at first.

Harding shows patience to earn a walk. Blankenship triples off wall, foolishly sent home but scores on missed catch (if you can't tell I have no confidence Troy Cameron coaching third) 8 - 0 after five.

The game goes on with Enter on the mound. Blankenship with two fine plays at shortstop (if you can't tell I've fallen in love with her game).

Leonard flicks a homer to right. 9 - 0 after 6. Its getting cold!

I guess they agreed to keep playing to an inning limit. 9 - 0 after seven full.

Morgan Kendrick on the mound, good zip but a walk and I guess catchers interference followed by wild pitch. Lonni out to help her settle down - rookie nerves! Another walk and an error. Leonard comes in and shuts down the threat. 9 - 1.

I'm just noticing the FSU coaches are wearing ear buds.

Blankenship with a RBI double off CF fence. Landers wearing glasses strokes an RBI takes second on throw, Thomas University getting sloppy. I have it at 12 - 1, scoreboard not keeping up.

Strong inning by Leonard on the mound.

That's a wrap. My stars of the game go to Blankenship, Muffley, Edenfield and Wilson.
Sounds like Troy is in mid-season form from last year.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Hard to tell much today they are using practice rules to help out the opponent.

Watson has thrown well with good speed up and then good speed low. Mudge placed a double down the LF line with a Wade Boggs swing. Flaherty looks like she's added strength. Wacaser playing like a starter. I've not seen much from Keen as a hitter but she's very sound covering first. Kerr hitting and running, Edenfield goes the other way with power. Muffley playing with confidence she's had a good fall. Culp tagged a solid homer to LC.

Last edited:

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Hard to tell much today they are using practice rules to help out the opponent.

Watson has thrown well with good speed up and then good speed low. Mudge placed a double down the LF line with a Wade Boggs swing. Flaherty looks like she's added strength. Wacaser playing like a starter. I've not seen much from Keen as a hitter but she's very sound covering first. Kerr hitting and running, Edenfield goes the other way with power. Muffley playing with confidence she's had a good fall. Culp tagged a solid homer to LC.
If they don't start getting Culp more AB's I will start to think something else is in play (either the staff is not seeing what I am seeing or they just have a different view) -- it is obvious that the high ankle sprain from HS is now healed-- so I am just concerned it is something else or I don't know whose judgement is controlling this. She hit almost 400 as a starter when she was a freshman until she was injured (supposedly ) again. She came in as a C/1B and they need to find her a position or make sure she DP's every/all game. It is baffling to me as we have NO ONE on the roster who has her potential ( and I say again Edenfield looks like a good addition to the Catcher position and can launch it too).

Reactions: squiffynole

jdogg_20_8

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2007
Something else is in play for Culp. She is coming back from a major back injury. Hopefully they are bringing her back slowly. Last year her mother said she was not even doing cardio yet and was not in the cage back to back days.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Something else is in play for Culp. She is coming back from a major back injury. Hopefully they are bringing her back slowly. Last year her mother said she was not even doing cardio yet and was not in the cage back to back days.
Well. I have seen almost every game that has been telecast and it is obvious she can hit now. Sooner rather than later we need to let her loose. She is a game changer if she is well.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Culp was the one returning from injury I was most interested to check in on during Fall Practice. There is no doubt she is a long ball hitter for this team. I had read on Warchant about the comments from her Mom. These were also confirmed through a different family source. With the extent of her back injury, I was worried coming into Fall that she might not make it back at all. I was very glad to see her out there and doing well.

I prefer to think the staff is bringing her along slowly and not wasting her on meaningless Fall games and saving the majority of her playing time for the Spring when it counts. Fingers crossed. . .

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
Culp was the one returning from injury I was most interested to check in on during Fall Practice. There is no doubt she is a long ball hitter for this team. I had read on Warchant about the comments from her Mom. These were also confirmed through a different family source. With the extent of her back injury, I was worried coming into Fall that she might not make it back at all. I was very glad to see her out there and doing well.

I prefer to think the staff is bringing her along slowly and not wasting her on meaningless Fall games and saving the majority of her playing time for the Spring when it counts. Fingers crossed. . .
I hope you are correct

ParooKid

Gold Member
May 11, 2002
Sounds like most are functioning well. Coacha needs to shake up her coaching staff. I need not name names, but we all know who.

Is it possible we are going to have more/some home run power? If so, I hope they don't try and turn them into the mess we had last year.

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Sounds like most are functioning well. Coacha needs to shake up her coaching staff. I need not name names, but we all know who.

Is it possible we are going to have more/some home run power? If so, I hope they don't try and turn them into the mess we had last year.
You call them a mess, I call them the national champioship runner up.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
You call them a mess, I call them the national champioship runner up.
Both are correct in my mind. During the season some coaching errors seemed obvious to some of us. As the season went on an identity developed and some players matured. We got the most out of the year (especially considering the injuries and lack of Senior production late in the year) Does not mean we don’t still have issues. JMHO

squiffynole

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2005
Tallahassee
Both are correct in my mind. During the season some coaching errors seemed obvious to some of us. As the season went on an identity developed and some players matured. We got the most out of the year (especially considering the injuries and lack of Senior production late in the year) Does not mean we don’t still have issues. JMHO
That's fair.

There are always disappointing aspects to teams, coaches and individual players. I'll vacillate but prefer to see problems as opportunities, look for untapped potential and not lose sight of the bigger picture.

I guess the constant bashing around the football team has me down, I meant no offense toward Smackem last year was a step back at the plate.

More importantly I'm feeling good about having Kaleigh Rafter as volunteer assistant and wouldn't mind seeing her eased into a regular job.

I understand @runningnole expects to be at the fall finale in Gainesville next weekend hope to get her report.

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
None of these girls are ranked highly.
We need immediate impact pitchers.
I just find it remarkable that we can't get one of the top 5 to 10 pitchers each year.
Maybe this Reid girl is a diamond in the rough who has been overlooked.
Hope so!

Reactions: ranger43

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
None of these girls are ranked highly.
We need immediate impact pitchers.
I just find it remarkable that we can't get one of the top 5 to 10 pitchers each year.
Maybe this Reid girl is a diamond in the rough who has been overlooked.
Hope so!
Well. On a positive note she is left handed. Both of the other 2 are ranked in the top 50 or so at their position. On the negative side DUKE was in the top 5.

ParooKid

Gold Member
May 11, 2002
If you don't like what you see in Reid, well................

Last edited:

Tom81

Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
If you don't like you see in Reid, well................
I'll have to wait and see. Most stud pitchers are identified early and the rankings acknowledge it.
The last few takes of pitchers for Lonni have given rise to us just not accepting that "She took her, she must be a stud" mantra. Her stud pitcher recruiting was last evident with Herzog and Sandercock!
I truly hope Makenna is all that, but find it unlikely that she is 'all that' and not ranked accordingly!
May she prove me wrong!

Reactions: ranger43

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
I'll have to wait and see. Most stud pitchers are identified early and the rankings acknowledge it.
The last few takes of pitchers for Lonni have given rise to us just not accepting that "She took her, she must be a stud" mantra. Her stud pitcher recruiting was last evident with Herzog and Sandercock!
I truly hope Makenna is all that, but find it unlikely that she is 'all that' and not ranked accordingly!
May she prove me wrong!
All current pitchers have been pitching since they were 7 or so. They have had multiple pitching coaches. Usually they have one from 7-14 that teaches mainly location and movement. Later (about 14 or so) they have a coach who helps with velocity. They have multiple iterations of this as they play age tournaments, travel ball and high school teams. All of these pitcher’s are viewed repeatedly. So the ones who have shown the most performance rise to the top. Every state has at least one top 20 type and the softball states (Western and South) have more. The very cream comes along every 10 years or so (someone like Monica Abbot or Cat Osterman). I believe we can and should have one of the very best (top10) every year. AND YES they are well known. This is what I believe Tom is saying. I know we are transitioning from recruiting 12-14 year olds (Herzog/ Sandercock) to recruiting 16 and 17 year olds who are very productive and evident. We are in a transition year- next year will be the true test. If we don’t get one next year I will be very worried.

roadtrip72

Starter
Apr 24, 2021
Anyone know if the game today will be streamed? Checked the Florida site and they do not show any coverage.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Gator twitter reports we lost 17-4 in 10 innings. I would be interested in hearing from someone who may have seen it.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Thanks. Too bad the article did not include the FSU stats - especially the pitching. Lonnie seems to give a variety of pitchers a chance instead of going for the win. I think our hitting will be competitive with them during the regular season (assuming our hitting instruction comes thru) because we have some hitters. I'm more interested in the new pitchers that have come into the program and how they have faired.

ranger43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
"Freshman Lexie Delbrey followed up to throw 4.0 shutout innings and produced eight strikeouts, while allowing only one hit."

I know we have no control over where young girls go to school. But I have to admit today I'm thinking what could have been this year with this freshman from Bainbridge who now pitches for the Gators. One day Kat will be gone . . . then who will we have to be dominant in the circle? I have to admit, Townole seems to have a point with regard to our lackluster pitching recruits since Kat and Herzog. It seems like we could be doing better after (in a 4 year time period) winning the World Series and coming up one game short last year.

townole

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Apr 1, 2002
"Freshman Lexie Delbrey followed up to throw 4.0 shutout innings and produced eight strikeouts, while allowing only one hit."

I know we have no control over where young girls go to school. But I have to admit today I'm thinking what could have been this year with this freshman from Bainbridge who now pitches for the Gators. One day Kat will be gone . . . then who will we have to be dominant in the circle? I have to admit, Townole seems to have a point with regard to our lackluster pitching recruits since Kat and Herzog. It seems like we could be doing better after (in a 4 year time period) winning the World Series and coming up one game short last year.
Part of this is the recruiting change. Delbrey was recruited under the old rules i.e. offering scholarships to 13 year olds (as was the three we just signed-- I think). Next year will be the test . The new rules will be in play for several years and we will need to compete for the 17 -18 year old players (much more difficult as they have shown prior performance). The good news is we have a good track record and should be able to compete for one of the top 10 or so every year. Pitchers can now see who will be coming back from top programs and seek playing time elsewhere (we are in bad need next year to get some shutdown arms) I say again (and I know I harp on it ) Pitching recruits next year will tell the future of the program. There are some great arms in this state (we have one here in my town who might be the best we ever had --and we have won the state many times and finished in the top 2 many more and have had many D-1 Pitchers --some have gone to UF. -- I am hopeful we are recruiting her as she has major location and velocity-she is what we need to be bringing in every year) JMHO