ADVERTISEMENT

Would you rather have a great historical legacy or be very rich?

BrianNole09

Starter
May 8, 2005
Here's the choice:

1.) You get to be an American hero. You prevent ISIS from detonating a nuclear bomb in the United States. You die in the process at 55 years old. People remember you as a total hero, on par with George Washington, etc. You will be in the history books forever.

OR:

2.) You're given 10 billion USD today and live your life however you want to until you die.

What do you choose?

Be remembered in the history books as a legend. My home country of Armenia is run by a corrupt albeit wealthy gangster and my people struggle, many of whom are leaving the land at an alarming rate. If it were up to me, i'd insure my people live happy and prosper instead of gouging them for money via illegal taxation and strongarming businesses.

Be remembered in the history books as a legend. My home country of Armenia is run by a corrupt albeit wealthy gangster and my people struggle, many of whom are leaving the land at an alarming rate. If it were up to me, i'd insure my people live happy and prosper instead of gouging them for money via illegal taxation and strongarming businesses.

What about the Kardashians? Do you count them as "your people?" :)

2 and would do it in a blink of an eye.

With that kind of coin you can make 1 happen....

Dead serious. What does a legacy do for me? I'm dead.

I'm not saying I wouldn't want to help others and make the world a better place. I just don't care if I get credit.

On top of that, people who are known to have been great ... Well, I don't know who those people really were. History books are all slanted anyway.

Might have a lot to do with how the question is worded. It didn't ask if you'd like to save a lot of people as much as it asked would you like to be remembered as a hero.

The question is typical narcissist thinking, it's not about saving people, it's about the narcissist being a hero or being rich enough to do whatever he wants.

The question is typical narcissist thinking, it's not about saving people, it's about the narcissist being a hero or being rich enough to do whatever he wants.
Is t that pretty much what I said?

I'm sure the results would be different if you asked:

If you were offered 100 million dollars to let thousands of people die, and if you refused, you would be killed, but no one else would; what would you do?

The generations to come don't care about or respect history so give me the money. With that kind of cash I can become a legend in the 'hookers and blow' world.

10 Billion? I'll take the cash. If I want to be remembered in history I'm pretty sure I could come up with something, with my 10 BILLION DOLLARS!

10 Billion? I'll take the cash. If I want to be remembered in history I'm pretty sure I could come up with something, with my 10 BILLION DOLLARS!

You could buy a whole building for FSU and put your name on it and still have 9.75 billion dollars to play with.

Reactions: BrianNole09
I have to change it up just a tad:

1. Eradicate ISIS and all other similar jackass groups...never to return to the face of the earth
2. take the money

I will take #1.

SHOW ME THE MONEY $$$$$$$$$$$$

I could care less if future generations know who I am, I won't be here to know about it anyhow.

I'd take the money and like others have said do something to enhance my legacy.

Might have a lot to do with how the question is worded. It didn't ask if you'd like to save a lot of people as much as it asked would you like to be remembered as a hero.
Fair enough, I missed that subtlety.

I don't care about the credit, but would rather save lives than get 10b

Fair enough, I missed that subtlety.

I don't care about the credit, but would rather save lives than get 10b

That kind of reminds me of the short story and Twilight zone "Button, Button". Would you allow a random person who you don't know and will never meet to die for X amount of money?

Here's the choice:

1.) You get to be an American hero. You prevent ISIS from detonating a nuclear bomb in the United States. You die in the process at 55 years old. People remember you as a total hero, on par with George Washington, etc. You will be in the history books forever.

OR:

2.) You're given 10 billion USD today and live your life however you want to until you die.

What do you choose?

Do we get 72 virgins in heaven with option 1?

I'm not interested in legacies. While it would be nice for my family to be proud that they're related to someone who was famous, it does me no good. A more interesting question is what you actually proposed however. Would you prefer to be rich, or be able to save thousands of lives (and be the only person who can) but die trying. That's much more difficult. I wish I could say that I would choose saving lives as any life is far more valuable than whatever money you can throw my way, but dying is kind of a big deal. You don't get to go back and re-do it.

What if I take the 10 billion and build a community for homeless veterans, fund children's education, donate to FSU athletics, donate to St. Judes and Big Bend Hospice? vs. you know, dying and leaving another regime to come up and be the new ISIS? Would that not be enough to be done with my money?

Reactions: MathisJones
What if I take the 10 billion and build a community for homeless veterans, fund children's education, donate to FSU athletics, donate to St. Judes and Big Bend Hospice? vs. you know, dying and leaving another regime to come up and be the new ISIS? Would that not be enough to be done with my money?

With 10B you could probably do all that and start a small underground mercenary faction to fight new regimes.

Or just start your own regime.....

I would take the money. Put some aside in a fund to help certain people in need or with cancer or something like that, and live off the interest of the rest.

Money, it's a hit.
Don't give me that do goody-good bullshit.

Gimme the money, I'll buy the entire University of Hogtown campus, and convert it into a nuclear testing facility.
And we'll only test on Homecoming weekend so we get all their old fart alumni as well.
See, money and legacy all rolled into one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT