ADVERTISEMENT

WSJHarvard President Resigns After Plagiarism Allegations, Campus Antisemitism Backlash:

surfnole

Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Following up from earlier thread, that got deleted, regarding U Penn President resigning.

'"
Harvard University President Claudine Gay resigned from her leadership role Tuesday, capping a dramatic fall from power fueled by both her response to antisemitism on campus and mounting allegations of plagiarism.

The resignation comes after weeks of criticism over her initial response to Hamas’s Oct. 7 attacks on Israel and early December comments at a House committee hearing that equivocated on whether calling for the genocide of Jewish people violated the campus code of conduct.

Though she had maintained the support of Harvard’s governing body, she also faced escalating external calls to resign over allegations that she failed to properly credit other researchers in her published work."

She’s still on the faculty and I’m willing to wager that a severance package was in the works before her announcement.
Harvard will move on.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Penn fired their president within 48 hours of her appalling congressional testimony, and Penn's prez was not guilty of plagiarism like Harvard's president.

"Never too late to do the right thing." Hard to watch someone so wrong being so smug. Her congressional testimony was tone deaf and appalling.

"Never too late to do the right thing." Hard to watch someone so wrong being so smug. Her congressional testimony was tone deaf and appalling.
I'm sure there was payment made along with other concessions. I doubt she had a sudden morality attack.

She makes 900k a year. Pretty impressive for that lack of academic record.

Living a lie, and being rewarded !

One of the many failings of our society, no responsibility for your actions!

Reactions: trunole1
Living a lie, and being rewarded !

One of the many failings of our society, no responsibility for your actions!
“slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.” Ya mean like this?

Reactions: BrianNole777
Well there goes THIS thread.
🙄
Point taken! Where exactly is the line? And personally I think her statements were completely out of line. As is any kind of plagiarism. This sword cuts in a lot of directions.
And if we’re not supposed to be talking politics, why are there posts about Congress (filled with politicians) using government money to grill presidents of PRIVATE universities?

Last edited:
Point taken! Where exactly is the line? And personally I think her statements were completely out of line. As is any kind of plagiarism. This sword cuts in a lot of directions.
And if we’re not supposed to be talking politics, why are there posts about Congress (filled with politicians) using government money to grill presidents of PRIVATE universities?
context? lol

Reactions: noletaire
“slaves developed skills which, in some instances, could be applied for their personal benefit.” Ya mean like this?

No
I mean she’s a liar and a cheat being paid an enormous salary for a position she didn’t earn!

I would be interested to hear what brain thinks of this!

IMHO I feel that both race and gender played a huge factor in her lofty position!

Not sure what your slavery comment meant?
Didn’t know she had been a slave!

You realize that's a factual statement, which the Left has jumped on to claim the author was saying, "See, slavery was good! (or at least not too bad)" The author meant no such thing, which was made completely clear in the rest of the course. The deliberate misrepresentation of the course is used as a cudgel used against people, even as a total non-sequitur, in debates all over the country, as we just saw demonstrated by rtpnole.

To be clear, again, literally no one, anywhere, believes the statement "slavery was good!" To say that some victims of slavery sometimes gained something from their time as slaves, is not equivalent to saying it was 'good', or 'not that bad.'

By the way, it would be great if more people were against the slavery going on in many countries in the world right now. And I don't mean low wages and a lack of healthcare. I mean literal slavery.

When PRIVATE universities receive billions of dollars in government grants, both to students and directly to the university, the government has a legitimate interest. Particularly when addressing one of the premier, elite universities in the country, and particularly when the activity is 'confusion' over what is 'harassment and bullying' based specifically on someone's race or religion - or both.

Personally, I completely agree with rtp that government has no business investigating plagiarism claims or issues in the student code of conduct, generally.

Reactions: littleitch1
When PRIVATE universities receive billions of dollars in government grants, both to students and directly to the university, the government has a legitimate interest. Particularly when addressing one of the premier, elite universities in the country, and particularly when the activity is 'confusion' over what is 'harassment and bullying' based specifically on someone's race or religion - or both.

Personally, I completely agree with rtp that government has no business investigating plagiarism claims or issues in the student code of conduct, generally.
Yep. I dont think it should be allowed and in no way do I agree with her actions or comments but this isnt really a matter for the government to waste time on. Plenty of other things that could use their attention like the border, inflation, crime, China, Iran, housing, the budget ect... You know governmental stuff.

You realize that's a factual statement, which the Left has jumped on to claim the author was saying, "See, slavery was good! (or at least not too bad)" The author meant no such thing, which was made completely clear in the rest of the course. The deliberate misrepresentation of the course is used as a cudgel used against people, even as a total non-sequitur, in debates all over the country, as we just saw demonstrated by rtpnole.

To be clear, again, literally no one, anywhere, believes the statement "slavery was good!" To say that some victims of slavery sometimes gained something from their time as slaves, is not equivalent to saying it was 'good', or 'not that bad.'

By the way, it would be great if more people were against the slavery going on in many countries in the world right now. And I don't mean low wages and a lack of healthcare. I mean literal slavery.
It’s also a factual statement that the ancestors of slaves were taken from their homes where one might assume they already had the skills needed to live their lives. To even bring up what was done for them over the next couple of centuries kind of sounds like a rationalization. It is also REQUIRED that middle schoolers be taught that concept. At the same time, the teaching of Black history has been devalued it seems. I’m not African American but but if I were, I might find these two things happening at the same time extremely condescending.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
It’s also a factual statement that the ancestors of slaves were taken from their homes where one might assume they already had the skills needed to live their lives. To even bring up what was done for them over the next couple of centuries kind of sounds like a rationalization. It is also REQUIRED that middle schoolers be taught that concept. At the same time, the teaching of Black history has been devalued it seems. I’m not African American but but if I were, I might find these two things happening at the same time extremely condescending.
All schools teach about slavery. And have for a long time. Sadly, they often teach it as if America invented slavery. And almost no school teaches about modern day slavery. I can send you some helpful links if you do the "conversation" thing with me.

Yep. I dont think it should be allowed and in no way do I agree with her actions or comments but this isnt really a matter for the government to waste time on. Plenty of other things that could use their attention like the border, inflation, crime, China, Iran, housing, the budget ect... You know governmental stuff.
All civil governments consider calls for genocide on college campuses "their business." Please re-read the first paragraph of my post.

All civil governments consider calls for genocide on college campuses "their business." Please re-read the first paragraph of my post.
I get that but the school and state can and should address something like this right?

Federal money usually means federal oversight.
True. But oversight can have many forms. You can have federal oversight without a congressional hearing. It happens all the time. Congress got involved for the wrong reasons. Again, I don't agree with what was said or done by the school or the liar in question. However, I do think the government could have let its position be known with less fanfare and taxpayer expenditure. If it was just plagiarism they would not be involved.

True. But oversight can have many forms. You can have federal oversight without a congressional hearing. It happens all the time. Congress got involved for the wrong reasons. Again, I don't agree with what was said or done by the school or the liar in question. However, I do think the government could have let its position be known with less fanfare and taxpayer expenditure. If it was just plagiarism they would not be involved.
We mostly agree, so my last post on this.
1. We agree on their involvement on plagiarism.

2. The Israeli/Hamas War is a big deal, and draws lots of attention.

3. The protestors were calling for genocide against Israel. University presidents and faculty did either nothing, or actively supported the protestors right to call for genocide.

4. With Antifa, BLM, election protests, and now Anti-Israel protests, it was almost impossible for Congress to look the other way on THESE protests. The protests were VERY pubic, with LOTS of media coverage, and Israel is still fighting for it's life

5. I doubt the congressional hearings cost much money. Surely less than one day's expenditure on the customary 'waste, fraud, and abuse.' Not to mention 'general stupidity.'

We mostly agree, so my last post on this.
1. We agree on their involvement on plagiarism.

2. The Israeli/Hamas War is a big deal, and draws lots of attention.

3. The protestors were calling for genocide against Israel. University presidents and faculty did either nothing, or actively supported the protestors right to call for genocide.

4. With Antifa, BLM, election protests, and now Anti-Israel protests, it was almost impossible for Congress to look the other way on THESE protests. The protests were VERY pubic, with LOTS of media coverage, and Israel is still fighting for it's life

5. I doubt the congressional hearings cost much money. Surely less than one day's expenditure on the customary 'waste, fraud, and abuse.' Not to mention 'general stupidity.'
Agree except on number 5. It's expensive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT