ADVERTISEMENT

Your phone is ringing, but

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
if you are like me, you may not answer it.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/spam-robocalls-will-soon-account-almost-50-calls-183157916.html No, it’s not your imagination: the amount of spam phone calls is getting worse.
According to new data from First Orion, a call protection company, the amount of junk calls will reach 46% by mid-year 2019. And by the end of that year, the amount is projected to finally cross the halfway point, meaning that half of all calls will be spam. " data-reactid="23" style="margin-bottom: 1em; caret-color: rgb(38, 40, 42); color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">According to new data from First Orion, a call protection company, the amount of junk calls will reach 46% by mid-year 2019. And by the end of that year, the amount is projected to finally cross the halfway point, meaning that half of all calls will be spam.

Collecting data from 50 billion calls over the past 18 months, the company was able to shed light on a phenomenon that many people have noticed and lamented: a severe uptick in calls, many of which use “neighborhood spoofing” techniques to entice people to pick up by having a fake caller ID that resembles the caller’s number." data-reactid="24" style="margin-bottom: 1em; caret-color: rgb(38, 40, 42); color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;">Collecting data from 50 billion calls over the past 18 months, the company was able to shed light on a phenomenon that many people have noticed and lamented: a severe uptick in calls, many of which use “neighborhood spoofing” techniques to entice people to pick up by having a fake caller ID that resembles the caller’s number.

Bastages!

Occasionally, I will answer a call if it has my local area code.

I always know if it's anyone calling that's not a scammer that they will leave a message.

I don't know how people have landlines these days because I assume at least half the calls are scammers.

I had the same telemarketer call me 3 times in the span of an hour. On the last call I told the lady I had my wife's best friend here and had her about 1/2 undress and if she kept interrupting me I was going to lose out on the chance. . She hung up with a word and as far as I know that company has never called back.

Another dreadful result of technology..
I usually mess with the same people that call wanting to lower my interest rate. They've told me they were going to kill me, come over and rape my wife, burn my house down and some other colorful deeds.
There's one outfit that uses Chase Bank's number as their number. fyi
Lately I've been getting hit with masked local numbers.
It would be nice if the FCC could get these people under control. Oh that's right, the do not call list.

Last edited:
Seems like the NSA would have a real good handle on the nature and source of these calls.
Too bad we can't get something useful like this out them spying on us.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I like the auto-dialers that just spoof the area code and first three of my phone number. "Oh, that looks like MY number!! I'm sure I have something riveting to tell myself."

Reactions: Lurker1999
I still have a New Hampshire phone number, so if I get a call from back home and it's not on my contact list, I know it's junk. Unfortunately, I have resumes out there and I tend to answer the calls from Florida, and most of the time it's spam.

I like the auto-dialers that just spoof the area code and first three of my phone number. "Oh, that looks like MY number!! I'm sure I have something riveting to tell myself."
LOL

I kept my FL cell phone number when I moved to TN. When I see a 321 area code, 99.9% of the time, it's spam.

My wife got a call one time and the guy was irate, saying he worked nights and she’d woken him up and he was going to come over and beat her a**, etc etc.
Turns out some marketer was spoofing using my wife’s number to call this guy, and then he returned the call to my wife via caller ID. He was super pissed and absolutely convinced she’d called him.

I hate the robocallers, spammers, virus writers and similar POSs - they all suck.

Apparently, my number called my lawyer's personal cell. He call me to ask if I had been arrested. Happily I was not.

I basically get no real phone calls (so 1999) so close to 80% of my calls are spam.

Can't wait till they start spamming my text messages.

I normally don't answer unless I know who it is. I do like the Name ID feature that tells me if it is a telemarketer, political group, survey, etc. so I know it is not important.

It is probably just coincidence, but since this thread was posted, I have been getting several calls a day from spoofed numbers starting with my area code and first 3 digits. It is a different last 4 digits each time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT