ADVERTISEMENT

$201 Million.. Now $228 Million

DFSNOLE

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
DeFuniak Springs Country Club
You'll never hear me say an athlete is overpaid because the person writing the check is worth even more and you know he's making money on his investment. Pays and pays very well to be one of the best basketball players in the world.

Stephen Curry's supermax deal becomes richest in NBA history

• Adrian WojnarowskiESPN
Two-time NBA MVP Stephen Curry has agreed to a five-year, $201 million extension -- the richest contract in league history -- with the Golden State Warriors, his agent Jeff Austin of Octagon told ESPN.

Curry is the first NBA star who will sign a supermax contract, the crossing of a $200 million threshold that eventually will become the norm for the NBA's biggest superstars.

Golden State general manager Bob Myers said Friday that the Warriors will finalize the contract once the free-agency moratorium ends Thursday

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...nks-super-max-contract-five-years-201-million

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
Professional athletes do a pretty good job these days of monetizing their market value, and I don't blame any of them for getting whatever they can. The players are the ones who are attracting the fans, not the fat cat owners sitting in their luxury boxes, so all power to the guys who are suiting up.

The cash flow at the college level, however, doesn't trickle down so nicely. The many millions of dollars that come in from television, ticket sales and booster contributions go largely to facilities and the mega-bucks head coaches, and while the very best collegiate players will get their money one day (if they don't get injured), the large majority of these guys will never get to eat at the big table. If someone wants to believe that a college education is worth all the risk, I think they need to look deeper into how many of these guys ever get a degree.

As much as we all love to see our favorite college team doing well, the underbelly of this business has to cause a thinking person pause.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
The cash flow at the college level, however, doesn't trickle down so nicely. The many millions of dollars that come in from television, ticket sales and booster contributions go largely to facilities and the mega-bucks head coaches, and while the very best collegiate players will get their money one day (if they don't get injured), the large majority of these guys will never get to eat at the big table. If someone wants to believe that a college education is worth all the risk, I think they need to look deeper into how many of these guys ever get a degree.

How exactly does the cash flow not trickle down at the college level? There are hundreds of thousands of kids every year that place value in the chance to complete, much less be educated, so please explain how that has no value. Does the inequity only lie with the top 10% of the top 10%? Those 10% that get every advantage not afforded the same aged people who place value in other things versus money for playing college sports.
Why is there always this value based system placed on the top level, do DIII kids not matter, does value not trickle down to them?

and school teachers still make 30 grand...

Didn't they know the compensation arrangement before they went down that road? I mean, if the goal is to make a ton of money, stay out of that field. If you want to talk about CHANGING the pay structure to attract better people, that would be a worthwhile topic.

Didn't they know the compensation arrangement before they went down that road? I mean, if the goal is to make a ton of money, stay out of that field. If you want to talk about CHANGING the pay structure to attract better people, that would be a worthwhile topic.
True.

Also I think teachers make more than $30,000. Maybe not much more, but definitely more than $30,000.

Furthermore they have 10 weeks in the summer to work part-time and earn a full year's wages if they want to.

But I certainly am not arguing that they get paid well.

True.

Also I think teachers make more than $30,000. Maybe not much more, but definitely more than $30,000.

Furthermore they have 10 weeks in the summer to work part-time and earn a full year's wages if they want to.

My daughter started in the mid 30's a few years ago fresh out of college. You don't get into teaching for the money. She completes her Masters this summer and will move on to much greener pastures in a related field.

True.

Yea. Summer's in Jersey home from FSU I was a lifeguard. Guy that owned the company was a teacher in the school year. He told me he made more managing those pools he had in the summer then he did teaching the whole year.

I wonder how much that will increase ticket prices.

Players split revenues so if ticket prices go up, the players portion of the pie goes up. Ticket prices aren't the reason for the huge increases in the last two years, it's the moronic 9yr, $24 billion tv deal that ESPN and Turner signed.

Each NBA team only has 15 contracts with the league averaging $5 billion in revenues-tickets included-with a 50/50 split, players are going to get paid.

Crappy baseball players or a turd like Tom Cruise make $20 million and nobody blinks an eye.

These super max deals are great for the league. For far too long, the best players in the league have not been the highest paid. Until last year, Lebron had never been the highest paid player in the league. And at $30 million per year, seems like a steal compared to Curry's considering all parts of the game he contributes to.

Let year's splash for monster contract was Mike Conley and it was 5 years for $153 million. Mike Conley, who isn't even the best player at his position in his division, let alone the league.

The best players should have the biggest contracts to prevent teams from loading up on too many of the best players. Before this contract, there were many mediocre players getting paid more than Curry. There are quite a few head scratchers that make over $20 mill a year right now because they lucked out on market timing.

If the Warriors paid Durant, Thompson and Green what their market value was, the team would be about double the salary cap.

I agree with Lebron that these super max contracts are good for the game. I don't agree that the salary cap is a bad thing. The salary cap lately has been circumvented by players chasing rings and taking less money, but at least they are players later in their careers and have already part their prime years.

Ideally, the salary cap should encourage teams to sign and retain top players for most of their careers on the same team (which is usually does), as well as limit teams from being able to load up too many of the top players on the same team (which it presently doesn't).

The NBA is doing really well right now, certainly going through a revival shadowing the 80s with the Celtics and Lakers. You have player rivalries, teams rewatching in the finals, multiple championship winners, and fan interest is up. Superstars are living up to their hype (except for maybe top other players in the East not named Lebron).

Btw Curry is still well behind Rinaldo for highest base salary. He makes $56 million per year. Curry us now the 2nd highest base salary in all of sports.

These super max deals are great for the league. For far too long, the best players in the league have not been the highest paid. Until last year, Lebron had never been the highest paid player in the league. And at $30 million per year, seems like a steal compared to Curry's considering all parts of the game he contributes to.

Let year's splash for monster contract was Mike Conley and it was 5 years for $153 million. Mike Conley, who isn't even the best player at his position in his division, let alone the league.

The best players should have the biggest contracts to prevent teams from loading up on too many of the best players. Before this contract, there were many mediocre players getting paid more than Curry. There are quite a few head scratchers that make over $20 mill a year right now because they lucked out on market timing.

If the Warriors paid Durant, Thompson and Green what their market value was, the team would be about double the salary cap.

I agree with Lebron that these super max contracts are good for the game. I don't agree that the salary cap is a bad thing. The salary cap lately has been circumvented by players chasing rings and taking less money, but at least they are players later in their careers and have already part their prime years.

Ideally, the salary cap should encourage teams to sign and retain top players for most of their careers on the same team (which is usually does), as well as limit teams from being able to load up too many of the top players on the same team (which it presently doesn't).

The NBA is doing really well right now, certainly going through a revival shadowing the 80s with the Celtics and Lakers. You have player rivalries, teams rewatching in the finals, multiple championship winners, and fan interest is up. Superstars are living up to their hype (except for maybe top other players in the East not named Lebron).

Btw Curry is still well behind Rinaldo for highest base salary. He makes $56 million per year. Curry us now the 2nd highest base salary in all of sports.
Next year will be really interesting to see if people tune out. The Warriors are such a huge favorite if they come out of the gates at 25-2 and winning every game by double digits will fans stop watching? I already care very little about the regular season but this year even the playoffs had a sense of inevitability, and that's not a good thing. If the Cavs can't add some really quality bench players at a minimum why on earth would anyone think they'd have a chance vs GS? LeBron can't possibly play any better and Love and Irving aren't getting any better either at this point in their careers.

Next year will be really interesting to see if people tune out. The Warriors are such a huge favorite if they come out of the gates at 25-2 and winning every game by double digits will fans stop watching? I already care very little about the regular season but this year even the playoffs had a sense of inevitability, and that's not a good thing. If the Cavs can't add some really quality bench players at a minimum why on earth would anyone think they'd have a chance vs GS? LeBron can't possibly play any better and Love and Irving aren't getting any better either at this point in their careers.

Warriors have had good luck overall with injuries, I think that's about the only thing that will keep them from being favorites. This year it took a little bit to gel and Durant did have that injury in regular season.

I agree that regular season is starting to matter even less than it always did. Some of that is due to lack of competitiveness between the players. It used to be that teams didn't want to lose to their rivals, regardless of their standings. Now, it's a business and teams are resting players. The NBA wants it both ways: players to stay healthy and have a quality product while also having players play every game.

I've always felt like the regular season was too long, seasons shortened by lockout have always had a different sense of urgency. It will seem a better schedule would be every team plays each team in the league exactly twice in regular season. That would make for a 58 game season, instead of 82. Players would be more rested for playoffs and every game would matter much more. It'll never happen, of course, because that means less games for TV, ticket sales and concessions, etc.

The NBA needs more teams to move up and play better. Right now, there is a huge disparity between the top and even the middle teams. Hopefully this year doesn't follow the script and stay predictable. I think the NBA needs Lebron to lose and develop a rivalry in the east (and this probably isn't going to happen).

Out West, it would be nice if there were some upsets and if the Warriors didn't just have a cake walk.

What a deal....for Bonilla of course.
Some may not know, but Brett Saberhagen also fleeced the NYM for $250k/yr. through 2029.
So the Mets are paying 2 guys whom haven't played in forever, almost $1.5 mil. a year through 2029 and 2035 respectively....
What some other people might not know is that at the time of those deals, they made financial sense to the Mets owners. Every year this story is repeated and every year, it's done without context.

Dynasties are good for the NBA. Bunch of people said Cavs/Warriors again this year and ratings were quite strong. With a fun offseason I expect strong rating #'s again. NBA is very healthy right now with story lines even though there is really only 2-4 teams that can win a title.

Dynasties are good for the NBA. Bunch of people said Cavs/Warriors again this year and ratings were quite strong. With a fun offseason I expect strong rating #'s again. NBA is very healthy right now with story lines even though there is really only 2-4 teams that can win a title.

Cavs vs Warriors rematches are good but the teams need to at least appear to have some struggles to reach the finals. 5 game finals series is not good for the NBA, besides that the finals were a hit. There are lots of Lebron and Warriors haters so the match up had lots of appeal.

What some other people might not know is that at the time of those deals, they made financial sense to the Mets owners. Every year this story is repeated and every year, it's done without context.

Instead of paying Bonilla a lump sum of $5.9 mil they opted to defer and pay him in installments of $1.19 mil from 2011 thru 2035..Sooo, instead of paying him $5.9 they are paying him $29.8 mil...not to mention, they are giving him 8% interest. Not sure how an organization would ever think that was a 'good deal'...oh wait, it's the Mets, which have sucked for the most part of their existence and the owners were buddies with Bernie Madoff.

NBA has become a fantastic product - the only negative I can think of is the aforementioned lack competitive playoff series this season, from the 1st rd to the finals. With the rockets, spurs, thunder, and celtics all beefing up, I expect that to change next year.

Another thing that's worth noting is for the most part all of the NBA's top players are actually pretty good people who are involved in their communities. Lebron, Steph, KD, CP3, Kyrie, Kawhi, etc etc... all represent the league extremely well.

Reactions: Bartdog and dmm5157
Instead of paying Bonilla a lump sum of $5.9 mil they opted to defer and pay him in installments of $1.19 mil from 2011 thru 2035..Sooo, instead of paying him $5.9 they are paying him $29.8 mil...not to mention, they are giving him 8% interest. Not sure how an organization would ever think that was a 'good deal'...oh wait, it's the Mets, which have sucked for the most part of their existence and the owners were buddies with Bernie Madoff.

Exactly. Wilpon thought he could take that $5.9 million and invest it with Madoff and make more than the $30 million that Bonilla would be paid.

NBA has become a fantastic product - the only negative I can think of is the aforementioned lack competitive playoff series this season, from the 1st rd to the finals. With the rockets, spurs, thunder, and celtics all beefing up, I expect that to change next year.

Another thing that's worth noting is for the most part all of the NBA's top players are actually pretty good people who are involved in their communities. Lebron, Steph, KD, CP3, Kyrie, Kawhi, etc etc... all represent the league extremely well.
I agree with your second paragraph pretty much entirely. Not so much with the first.
It's been said many times that the last place you want to be in the NBA is in the middle. While the other professional leagues seek parity, the NBA rewards teams for falling leading to teams tanking games near the end of season to either get in or improve their position in the lottery. That's bad for both the sport and the league.

I agree with your second paragraph pretty much entirely. Not so much with the first.
It's been said many times that the last place you want to be in the NBA is in the middle. While the other professional leagues seek parity, the NBA rewards teams for falling leading to teams tanking games near the end of season to either get in or improve their position in the lottery. That's bad for both the sport and the league.
It's tough to deny that the accumulation of talent by the top 6-8 in the league should at least lead to some more competitive semifinals (and maybe finals). The 2017 playoffs was one of the most vanilla I can remember. Fortunately GSW plays a brand of basketball that's fun to watch, regardless of score.

Totally agree though that being a middling team in the league is its own type of purgatory. I've long thought that the NBA should chop 12-18 games off the regular season, and match the bottom and middle tier teams up in a format that energizes fans and creates reasonable stakes in terms of draft positioning. All those throwaway games are a waste for the NBA, the players, and the fans -- with a creative mind, they could really do something with that and change the way all sports view the last fifth of the season.

People watch the NBA? Hey everybody, look at me, I scored 3 points. Thump my chest and holler and making more money than you peons will see in a life time.

People watch the NBA? Hey everybody, look at me, I scored 3 points. Thump my chest and holler and making more money than you peons will see in a life time.

Or you could watch college basketball where the coaches dominate the game and the players can't shoot for crap.

Gladly. Can't stand pro-sports. It is all about me. Everyone aren't I great?

Hmmm, plenty of NBA players that aren't like that at all.

Hope you don't watch NFL or college football either. More "me me me" type players there than NBA. Can lump NCAA basketball in there, actually, simply due to shear numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
Frankly I did not watch one regular season game this past season nor did I watch any of the playoff games until the finals. What was the point? It was pretty much a foregone conclusion GS and Cleveland would be in the finals when the season began. And even then they weren't esp great games. At least in the second halves anyway where one team just started blowing away the other. I liked the high scoring aspect to them that displayed a lot of shooting and passing the ball talent. But they were boring games by the time the 4th qtr came around.

Gladly. Can't stand pro-sports. It is all about me. Everyone aren't I great?
The biggest star in pro basketball, LeBron, is one of the most unselfish athletes I've ever seen. He's an absolutely incredible passer and the entire GS team passes the ball exceptionally well. So, in short, you're wrong.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
The biggest star in pro basketball, LeBron, is one of the most unselfish athletes I've ever seen. He's an absolutely incredible passer and the entire GS team passes the ball exceptionally well. So, in short, you're wrong.

It's ironic because we're in one of the least flamboyant and outspoken eras in NBA history right now. The stars are pretty low profile, no character issues, family men. Curry, Durant and Thompson stay out of the Public eye. Lebron is squeaky clean. Even Harden and Westbrook don't appear to like the public eye or show boat. Kawhi Leonard is about as boring and good as they come, dunks with no emotion.

And yet the NBA still faces this categorization that they're a league full of "me first" players. "Team Ball" has been the motto the last 5 years at the very least. Not only that, we're seeing players give up money to try and get their teams better (which is its own problem). But by all means, play the "they're all ball hogs" angle.

Last edited:
It's ironic because we're in one of the least flamboyant and outspoken eras in NBA history right now. The stars are pretty low profile, no character issues, family men. Curry, Durant and Thompson stay out of the Public eye. Lebron is squeaky clean. Even Harden and Westbrook don't appear to like the public eye or show boat. Kawhi Leonard is about as boring and good as they come, dunks with no emotion.

And yet the NBA still faces this categorization that they're a lead full of "me first" players. "Team Ball" has been the motto the last 5 years at the very least. Not only that, we're seeing players give up money to try and get their teams better (which is its own problem). But by all means, play the "they're all ball hogs" angle.
100% on point

No idea how tallynole formed his opinion of the NBA but would love to know.

The top of the NBA is basically filled w role models.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and dmm5157
Hayword to Boston and they still have a bunch of nice assets.

The Summer of 2018 is going to nuts. All signs point to Lebron leaving Cleveland.

Reactions: dmm5157
Hayword to Boston and they still have a bunch of nice assets.

The Summer of 2018 is going to nuts. All signs point to Lebron leaving Cleveland.

No way he leaves again...unless behind the scenes he isn't getting what he wants but up until this point, Gilbert has given him everything he wanted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT