ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Hernandez suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. Imagine a friend you've known since you were kids who goes off the rails and winds up in Hernandez' shoes. I'm not sure how I'd react. I can't honestly say that I'd turn my back on him, nor can I definitively say that I wouldn't.

I have a childhood friend that is on death row right now. I was closer to his brother than him and we all 3 at one time cut grass for money. He moved out of the neighborhood right around the time I started high school and we rarely hung out, but if we saw each other around we were cool. I have never went to visit him in jail nor do I consider him a friend at this point but I guess I really considered him more of an acquaintance starting in high school. I am still friends with his brother and sister on FB, but would still consider them acquaintances. Haven't seen them in person for over 20 years. But based on the circumstances of the crime he committed. It was pretty cold blooded, yeah I would say I would no longer be friends with him. Of course, if I was still friends with him at the time with the lifestyle he lived, then I probably would have been thuggish as well and who knows if I would have remained friends. I think it depends how close of friends you were at the time it happened and the circumstances of the crime.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Not at all. Imagine a friend you've known since you were kids who goes off the rails and winds up in Hernandez' shoes. I'm not sure how I'd react. I can't honestly say that I'd turn my back on him, nor can I definitively say that I wouldn't.
Fair enough. I couldn't tell from your post.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Absolutely no chance he took his own life. Chico was not a saint, but my family and I loved him and he would never take his own life.

— Brian Murphy (@A1Murph) April 19, 2017

(Hernandez's agent)

Several ex teammates saying same. It is interesting. One would think a 6'4" 240 pound dude would have a hard time hanging himself with his prison sheets. I would assume those things are super thin and tear easy for just that reason and roofs are low with nothing to hang from.

Here is some contrast for you.

Bad Decisions in off season got him here

Jail and now dead (hard for me to believe it was sucide btw)

aaron-hernandez-arrested.jpg

When good decision during off season could have got him here.

Co-host for a Nickelodeon kids show.
CLT_118_0101.jpg

Talk about two different paths in life when both had the same opportunities.

Tragic

Several ex teammates saying same. It is interesting. One would think a 6'4" 240 pound dude would have a hard time hanging himself with his prison sheets. I would assume those things are super thin and tear easy for just that reason and roofs are low with nothing to hang from.
News reports say the cell door had objects blocking it from the inside. I suppose anything can be staged.....

News reports say the cell door had objects blocking it from the inside. I suppose anything can be staged.....

Why we would have put objects there? Looks like an alibi to me.

Not that it matters.

Why is it so hard to believe that someone as cowardly and weak as Hernandez, a man who couldn't handle having a drink spilled on him without killing the "offenders," wouldn't kill himself when faced w/having to do hard time the rest of his life?

Fits him perfectly I'd say.

The problem was AH has been entitled his entire life. He's used to breaking the law & always getting away with it. Never suffering any type of consequence. Had he been kicked of UFs team & ever been to jail it more than likely would have changed the outcome of all of this. The first time ever being locked up & thats for life. Thats a long hard dose of reality that would break anyone!. Even tho he beat those murder charges he knew he was guilty. Even tho he got away with, he didnt because the gilt wouldn't let him. Then throw in the fact he knows he doing life in prison & he gets to think all day long about what could have been. Had he not been so easily influenced. He realized he allowed the opinions & influences of his choices to dictate his life. Once the consequences came he realized he had been manipulated, lied to & duped. That he shouldn't have been so easily influenced by others words, music, lifestyles or the "social lifestyles". Think about having to live with the voices & visions of those victims every night you lay down to sleep. Even the nightmares.

I pray God has mercy on your soul Mr. Hernandez.

Well when you have a police department in essence cover it up instead of aggressively pursue football players from your town, then many teams probably didn't have a clue about it. And it isn't like Urban was going to provide that kind of info. I do wonder now though if football teams no longer trust info given by Urbie about his players off field issues.

It is well known how both the local campus, city PD's even the Alachua SA Cervone sweep things under the rug when it comes to fu athletes. Cervone once said something to the extent he was going to give fu athletes beyond the benefit of the doubt since people were out to get them

That is why the NFL and teams hire law firms who employ retired law enforcement professionals to conduct investigations on all the potential higher round draft pics. In JW's case he was investigated and surveiled months before the draft (don't know if he even knew) . In the last several years the league and teams seem to be doing much more in depth risk analysis of potential players. Makes sense to expend the effort and $$ on the front end instead of after a pick is made and the turn out to be a PR or other liability

I have the feeling the league and teams back in 2010 did not conduct the extensive background investigations they do now. We know the sports media certainly did not scratch the surface in questions about AH when he was up to be drafted. Even had they ask questions they would not have cared case it was the $$EC.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
I have a hard time believing that a 6 4, muscular athlete would end up hung dead of someone else's doing if he didn't want it to happen. That is much tougher to believe than believing g that his weight would tear the sheets.

Reactions: Mugsy101

It may be theoretically possible it was staged, but I just don't go for conspiracy theories. If it was an inside job, I seriously doubt it was done by the DOC or prison staff. Maybe another con wanted him dead, still, without an shred of proof, I don't buy it. We'll see what turns up after they conduct a thorough investigation. I suspect though the conclusion will remain what it has been initially determined, a suicide.

I would love to know if AH received the same attention, observation and background investigation from NFL team investigators that Jameis or Dalvin did. I wonder if anything negative was said about AH on sEcSPN or the other football prognosticating media outlets before the draft like has been said about JW or DC.

I suspect not.
Well he plummeted down the draft boards, so I'd suspect yes.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
It may be theoretically possible it was staged, but I just don't go for conspiracy theories. If it was an inside job, I seriously doubt it was done by the DOC or prison staff. Maybe another con wanted him dead, still, without an shred of proof, I don't buy it. We'll see what turns up after they conduct a thorough investigation. I suspect though the conclusion will remain what it has been initially determined, a suicide.
Agreed. If he had been found in a general area of the prison it would be much more believable. Otherwise the guards would have had to been in on it and even then wouldn't there be surveillance video 24h/day to see who went in and out of the cell?

I wouldn't be surprised if seeing his daughter in court the other day caused this. Reality may have finally hit him. She could either visit him in jail for the rest of his life or he ends it now to not put her through that.
...or it could be the realization, since he was acquitted on the double murder charge, that he killed Oden Loyd for no reason. Recall that it was suggested the he killed Loyd because he was running his mouth about the prior double murder.

Well when you have a police department in essence cover it up instead of aggressively pursue football players from your town, then many teams probably didn't have a clue about it. And it isn't like Urban was going to provide that kind of info. I do wonder now though if football teams no longer trust info given by Urbie about his players off field issues.

One of the issues we have is that people in Tallahassee's law enforcement and prosecutorial agencies are gators. The inverse is generally not true in Gainesville. So the point is that FSU -- unlike uf -- has few "secrets."

We also have Bull Gators -- who are businessmen in Tallahassee -- leasing sky boxes at Doak, and who are also "Golden Chiefs." I know this because I work with one such person. I am not sure FSU even realizes, or cares, who they are. But some of our dreaded enemies have some pretty close connections to our own program.

Reactions: LesClaypool
I know some folks are upset that the Gators never get heat for their players actions. Hounding UF for a tight end committing crimes isn't as click baity as a charismatic Heisman candidate QB. It's about clicks. In essence, UF does not garner the clicks. Now if Tebow had been accused of such a thing I can promise you the entire weight of the media would have dropped on UF like it did with Duke.

"Hernandez was a murderer who happened to play football.

And on Wednesday, he murdered yet again.

Except this time he finally killed somebody who deserved to die.

Himself."

BOOM! Roasted.

Reactions: West Duval Nole

Agree that virtually all of his points (here, only) are well-taken. But his overarching reason for making those points is to further trash Urban Meyer. Dude is still butt-hurt that Urbie treated him the same way he treats everyone else.....poorly. I don't have a problem with Bianchi blasting Urbie, or vice versa.....to me, it's another Iran/Iraq situation....everyone is a winner.

Here is some contrast for you.

Bad Decisions in off season got him here

Jail and now dead (hard for me to believe it was sucide btw)

When good decision during off season could have got him here.

Co-host for a Nickelodeon kids show.

Talk about two different paths in life when both had the same opportunities.

Tragic

Ehh, tragic is a player being paralyzed on the field, a kid dying of cancer, a family getting demolished by a drunk driver, etc etc.

I don't know him of course, but I see nothing good in this guy.

Ehh, tragic is a player being paralyzed on the field, a kid dying of cancer, a family getting demolished by a drunk driver, etc etc.

I don't know him of course, but I see nothing good in this guy.

True, but I think you missed the point to my post.

Instead of tragic, maybe amazing, or unreal, or sad, or crazy.

The two were both at the exact same point in life with the same job, say team, same position, same town, lots of money and one ends up dead in jail and the other on a nickalodean show.

Bianchi better watch his back. Print the truth about the gatas and watch what happens.

In the old days, gata honchos would likely get him fired. Today, there is no one in the pipeline even eligible to take his place, so he gets a bit more latitude. I mean, at least for a few more years, the Slantinel has to fill the sports page with SOMETHING. Being a newspaper columnist is a bit like being a phone booth designer.....both are dying avocations.

Bianchi is so pathetic. Will always remember his malicious trashings of Bobby.....all while Spurrier -- his hero -- literally patted him on the head like the small uf lap dog that he is.

It is a shame Bianchi did not call out Meyer and his thuggish program while Meyer was at UF. He turned a blind eye to everything that was going on with that program while Meyer was coach. He could not praise him enough, often referring to him at "the next Bear Bryant." It was only after Meyer left that Bianchi spoke out.

It is a shame Bianchi did not call out Meyer and his thuggish program while Meyer was at UF. He turned a blind eye to everything that was going on with that program while Meyer was coach. He could not praise him enough, often referring to him at "the next Bear Bryant." It was only after Meyer left that Bianchi spoke out.

Yep. Notice he always focuses on Meyer and not UF itself.

To tag on to some of the earlier comments about being born this way. We're still in the infancy stages of brain science, but we have learned over the last few decades where certain facilities come from.

Anger, Fear, Revenge, etc... are all born within the Amygdala. It's one of the oldest parts of the brain, and it acts without our pre-frontal cortex even being aware of it's actions until they've completed often. The Amygdala isn't all bad, it helps to keep us alive when snap judgments are required. When you look up to see a baseball flying at your head, when you snatch a child from the path of a car, when you immediately run when something dangerous comes your way; that's your limbic system acting as it has evolved to do. It's job is to recognize danger and respond quickly. If we waited for the pre-frontal cortex to make those decisions, we'd die. It's slow, it has to think through, and it takes a lot of energy to run. So we've learned that the pre-frontal cortex actually shuts down while the Amygdala is in play, and then when it wakes up, becomes aware of the actions taken and you think that "you" chose to do that.

Connected to the Amygdala and acting as a bridge to the pre-frontal cortex is a newer part of the brain evolutionary speaking called the Anterior Cingulate Cortex. This portion of the brain is responsible for managing the Amygdala and is where things such as empathy, compassion, and love come from. It's often referenced as being the "heart" of the brain.

Interestingly enough, we've discovered that they react like working out a muscle does, except that they tend to have an effect on each other. If you give in to the amygdala, allow yourself to give into anger and fear (For example, listening to Infowars ridiculous rants about how the world is falling apart every day, or pray to a God who is extremely angry) then the Amygdala becomes larger, almost immediately. FMRI's have actually shown someone being shown an image that makes them angry and then immediately seeing new dendrites and neurons mapping as an immediate reaction. As the Amygdala grows stronger, fear and anger begin to grow more powerful and difficult to control.

At the same time, feeding the amygdala deprives the anterior cingulate cortex of bloodflow, which results in it's shrinking. The good news is that we can alter this process. Meditating and focusing on love, compassion, praying to a God who loves everyone, focusing and contemplating beauty, and art all has the opposite result. The amygdala will begin to be deprived of blood flow and shrink while the anterior cingulate cortex begins to grow. The problem is that it doesn't grow nearly as immediately as the amygdala. Research shows that you have to contemplate or meditate on an idea of love, beauty, compassion, etc... for at least 15 seconds before you'll see the brain begin to map these new brain cells. As a result, you have to intentionally choose to engage in the type of activities that make you more compassionate while anger is like a drive by shooting that hits you and sticks immediately. It's why politicians who focus on making you angry and afraid do better in elections. People hear a soundbite and it immediately maps where they have to listen to the politician with another message, think about, contemplate on, and believe the message before it has the same results.

So in Aaron Hernandez's case and others like it, I imagine they came from extremely tough backgrounds where violence was a daily thing. Children who are surrounded by violence and fear from a young age, especially if they feel unsafe, develop very unhealthy brain matter and are far more prone to becoming violent, angry, and creating an internal feedback loop that continues that process. It's why our prison system sucks at reforming criminals. We're simply throwing them into societies full of dangerous, angry people where they have to fight to survive while also using extremely degrading punishments like solitary confinement that ramp this brain development up.

We need to treat criminals more like sick people and work to hack and reprogram their brains. Make them feel safe, secure. Give them the ability to have time to safely contemplate and appreciate love, beauty, friendship, family and over time reprogram their brains to not fall into a default mode of violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT