ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

While in the long run it shouldn't matter, but that extra breathing room that United gets with Fellaini's goal to go up 3-1 is huge. Perhaps United will rest a few first teamers then. I was surprised to see the same 11 start the UCL game on Tues. Playing twice a week this early can't be easy especially since most EPL teams have had shorter than normal training camps (I'm assuming United did as well). Most surprised to see Carrick start, I thought for sure he'd be rested and Herrera would start next to Schneiderlin.

I'm sure Manch and the rest of the United supporters were happy to see Memphis open his United account. Mata looks like he could have a huge year numbers wise as they are running the O through him, even though he's not playing in the 10 hole.

Memphis two great goals. I think United will rest guys in epl Saturday, the CL leg 2 is way more important they must make Group Stage. Huge goal by Fellaini. brugges doesnt have much offensively so id be surprised if they score more than one at home.

Eager for CL draw next week after this round over

So glad we don't have to go through CL qualifying this year. Nice to be a watcher instead of a participant for once.

Why are United being so outlandish on the de Gea transfer? First they wanted Ramos, now they want Madrids best teenage striker, plus 30 million. Are u serious? De Gea goes to Madrid for nothing next summer. United are holding nothing in their deck, and acting like its a royal flush. I really dont understand this, madrid should walk away and just go with Navas who is better than Casillas anyway for a year.

€30 mil for Pedro
£15 mil for Rahman
£30 mil (offered) for Stones

Yeah...OTHER TEAMS are trying to buy the title, Jose.

That said, I wish Arsenal would be one of those damn teams! Buy Benzema or buy someone else AW...dammit man!

Chelsea just upped Stones offer to 40, for Everton to go with 1 centerback. At that price i have to believe Stones would start at Chelsea if they found a bunch replacements at Goodison.

I wish Arsenal would do something too but they are paying the likes of arteta, wilshere, walcott etc all 80-120/week, money no one else was close to offering. Their weekly payroll is actually just behind United and City and on par with Chelsea, who's money produces epl titles. Arsenal have been way too generous at contract renewal tine they need to let some overpaid weight go

Why are United being so outlandish on the de Gea transfer? First they wanted Ramos, now they want Madrids best teenage striker, plus 30 million. Are u serious? De Gea goes to Madrid for nothing next summer. United are holding nothing in their deck, and acting like its a royal flush. I really dont understand this, madrid should walk away and just go with Navas who is better than Casillas anyway for a year.

United is asking a lot because Real only offered €13 million, which is a joke, maybe United is trying to get Real to meet halfway. I read that Real offered De Gea €18 million as a bonus to sign with Real next year instead of Real paying a transfer fee this year. United would rather De Gea walk at the end of this year rather than get raped. If Real is going to pay De Gea that bonus, then I would let De Gea sit all year, not even practice and miss Euro 2016. De Gea has balked at a one year extension and even £300,000 a week, but he has not put in a transfer request nor given United his intentions on next year. United has asked Real to place a formal, respectable bid, which Real has not.

United is asking a lot because Real only offered €13 million, which is a joke, maybe United is trying to get Real to meet halfway. I read that Real offered De Gea €18 million as a bonus to sign with Real next year instead of Real paying a transfer fee this year. United would rather De Gea walk at the end of this year rather than get raped. If Real is going to pay De Gea that bonus, then I would let De Gea sit all year, not even practice and miss Euro 2016. De Gea has balked at a one year extension and even £300,000 a week, but he has not put in a transfer request nor given United his intentions on next year. United has asked Real to place a formal, respectable bid, which Real has not.

This really pisses me off especially after we paid a ransom for DiMaria last summer.

With one year left on his deal, I wouldn't expect United to get much more. I do consider that a "respectable" bid for a player in the last year of his deal. It happens every year when a team holds on to a player for an extra year and they lose money hoping for that player to sign an extension with 2 years left on a deal. In hindsight, United probably should have sold last summer. May not have got €30M, but probably would've got >€20M.

€30 mil for Pedro
£15 mil for Rahman
£30 mil (offered) for Stones

Yeah...OTHER TEAMS are trying to buy the title, Jose.

That said, I wish Arsenal would be one of those damn teams! Buy Benzema or buy someone else AW...dammit man!

Pedro was officially €27M plus €3M in add ons based on performance bonuses. Which is only €1M than United offered up front (26 and 4). Felt good to be on the Guzzumping end rather than getting Gazzumped this time.

Rahman, cost so much because Ausberg got in a great position when we sold Luis before we had the Rahman sale wrapped up and they were able to up the price.

As for the rumour that shall not be mentioned, I hope it happens.

EDIT: last comment is NOT in reference to Stones. I want a CB this window, but £40M is too much for Stones IMO. Especially since we only got £28 for Lukaku (still irks me that we didn't get £40M for him for a sale in England).

I agree 40 too high for Stones. Everton just signed s CB from River for 6 mill, more needed.

If reports in Spain and xm 94 true, Madrid came way up offered United 30 mill for De Gea and United laughed. Which is why this has become ridiculous. And 300k week for any keeper is crazy. Imho only Messi and Ronaldo worth 300

Just read this on a Chelsea blog.

"If you meet a Chelsea fan this week, listen to what they’re saying. They have a point."

Made me chuckle.

United one probably bad offside call away from a win. Barcodes one selfish player on a 3 on 1 break away from a win/draw. Both sides should be disappointed in that result.

I can't watch the game on Monday. Going to be in appointments all afternoon. Can't stand missing this match as I LOATHE the Scouse filth (though strangely not quite as much now that the fraud known as Stevie G is gone).

Will be checking the score in between meetings.

COYG!!

The champs finally record a W. I vote for Pedro...for motm!

Two disastrous coaching performances today from Everton and Madrid. Tactically couldnt had a worse plan, Everton with their ultra defensive midfield and Kone in again, and Everton looked afraid to bring offense on though down. Martinez would rather lose close than risk going for a win at home.

Madrid was just wow. Bale has gotten worse, and had a joyless display with James coming off the bench. Cr7 tried to find a winner and he was it. Benitez gonna have a bried stint if that happens a few more times.

That's the Petr Cech I remember. Gabriel looked pretty good as well. If Arsenal decide to bench Mertesacker for Gabriel, I'd be a bit worried about them being a true contender.

Cech was great i agree. Didnt miss either center back.

Offensively though shut out for 5th of last 7 epl games!

As an Arsenal supporter that game was tough to watch at times.

Defensively I was happy to see Cech back to the form I was expecting. I was also pleasantly surprised by Gabriel, and I think he should get more playing time. As for Chambers, I think there were times Arsenal would have been better off with a back 3 and another midfielder on the pitch.

In the midfield Coquelin played great. If it weren't for him, Pool probably would have scored 2 or 3 in the first half. Cazorla didn't have a great game, and Ozil didn't really do much for me. He was steady, but nothing spectacular. However, I could see the frustration from Ozil, Ramsey & Sanchez towards the end of the first half as they kept going all the way back to the defenders to pickup the ball because others (Chambers & Cazorla) couldn't get it up the pitch.

As for the offense, it looked stale. I still cannot believe Wenger hasn't gone out to get a world class striker. Giroud is good but he isn't going to lead this team against top quality opponents. The Ramsey goal/no goal should have counted as he was not offsides.

Otherwise it turned out to be a typical Arsenal game at The Emirates. At this point I would rather see them play on the road.

So Stones finally cracks after the 4th offer, how is that not tampering? But eith cup game today and league games Everston still cant field sny centerbackd so he cant go anywhere.

cL today too United need not choke.

La Liga 5 teamd in CL group stage. That league is widening the gap over Epl.

Champions League Draw:

GROUP A

Paris(FRA)
Real Madrid(ESP)
Shakhtar Donetsk(UKR)
Malmö(SWE)

GROUP B
PSV(NED)
Man. United(ENG)
CSKA Moskva(RUS)
Wolfsburg(GER)

GROUP C
Benfica(POR)
Atlético(ESP)
Galatasaray(TUR)
Astana(KAZ)

GROUP D
Juventus(ITA)
Man. City(ENG)
Sevilla(ESP)
Mönchengladbach(GER)

GROUP E
Barcelona(ESP)
Leverkusen(GER)
Roma(ITA)
BATE(BLR)

GROUP F
Bayern(GER)
Arsenal(ENG)
Olympiacos(GRE)
Dinamo Zagreb(CRO)

GROUP G
Chelsea(ENG)
Porto(POR)
Dynamo Kyiv(UKR)
M. Tel-Aviv(ISR)

GROUP H
Zenit(RUS)
Valencia(ESP)
Lyon(FRA)
Gent(BEL)

Thoughts...

There is no group of death.

Man United got the 2nd easiest draw it looks like to me.

Zenit & PSV both in Pot 1 were bound to produce easy groups.

Zenit's group is laughable.

Doesn't Man City play Juve in every group stage? Sure seems that way.

Not thrilled w/a Bayern Munich draw. Virtually assures Arsenal of a 2nd place group finish, and thus, likely another tough round of 16 matchup. Oh well. Could've been worse.

Pretty much agree that Zenit one yuck, weakest spanish side wont even make up for it.

Man city and Juve got Sevilla, good luck thats as close as a group death i see.

Barcelona B team would win that group its abysmal.

On united, psv rebuidling but i actually think Wolsburg may be a contender for that group.

Chelsea easy draw too.

My Blues do look to have an "easy" draw...But unless they pick up their level of play so far this season, nothing's going to be easy.

Chelsea's draw is "easy", but we do have close to 10000 miles in UCL travel which is almost double the closest PL team (5400). Could effect the way we line up in the game before/after the long flights. Hopefully, we'll get some Sat/Wed/Sun type schedules rather than Sun/Wed/Sat.

EDIT:

Chelsea's UCL schedule:

Wednesday September 16: Maccabi Tel-Aviv (H)
Tuesday September 29: FC Porto (A)
Tuesday October 20: Dynamo Kiev (A)
Wednesday November 4: Dynamo Kiev (H)
Tuesday November 24: Maccabi Tel-Aviv (A)
Wednesday December 9: FC Porto (H)

Sa Everton (A) -- W Maccabi Tel-Aviv (H) -- Sa Arsenal (H)
Sa Newcastle United (A) -- T FC Porto (A) -- Sa Southampton (H)
Sa Aston Villa (H) -- T Dynamo Kiev (A) -- Sa West Ham United (A)
Sa Liverpool (H) -- W Dynamo Kiev (H) -- Sa Stoke City (A)
Sa Norwich City (H) -- T Maccabi Tel-Aviv (A) -- S Tottenham Hotspur (A)
Sa Bournemouth (H) -- W FC Porto (H) -- Sa Leicester City (A)

The game with the huge travel (Kiev) is fortunately between 2 games without a Sky 7 opponent.

Last edited:
Rishi, that schedule looks pretty manageable, with MTA coming to Stamford Bridge with sandwich games against at Everton and home against Arse. The home tie against Kiev could be the trap game playing Liverpool at home and then at Stoke on a Wednesday/Saturday schedule.

Nice job with the schedule, I will throw United's up in a bit.

United got a decent draw. PSV lost two of their top players and Wolfsburg should lose De Bruyne.

United UCL schedule:

Tuesday September 15: PSV (A)
Wednesday September 30: Wolfsburg (H)
Wednesday October 21: CSKA (A)
Tuesday November 3: CSKA(H)
Wednesday November 25: PSV (H)
Tuesday December 8: Wolfsburg (A)

Sa Liverpool (H)-- T PSV (A)-- Su Southampton (A)
Sa Sunderland (H)-- W Wolfsburg (H)-- Su Arsenal (A)
Sa Everton (A)-- W CSKA (A)-- Su Manchester City (H)
Sa Crystal Palace (A)-- T CSKA (H)-- Sa West Brom (H)
Sa Watford (A)-- T PSV (H)-- Sa Leicester (A)
Sa West Ham(H)-- W Wolfsburg (A)-- Sa Bournemouth (A)

MUFC gets Liverpool on Saturday, then travels to play the Dutch champions on a Tuesday, then they travel to the south coast to face Southampton, it would have been nice to see Southampton go on to the Europa group stage because they would have played on Thursday, giving United a huge edge, but the edge goes to Southampton. Liverpool travels to Bordeaux on Thursday, but will play a top flight team against United the Saturday before.
Home for a Saturday/Wednesday setup against the German runner ups and the EPL 3rd place team, Arsenal, in London on a Sunday. Arsenal plays at home on Tuesday against Olympiakos, edge goes to Arsenal.

The group might be easy, but it's not that easy with the EPL thrown into the mix for the first 3 UCL matches.

A Sat-Wed.-Sun at Everton, at Moscow to face the Russian runner-ups and then home for the darby against City. Three tough matches with the long midweek flight. City is at home on Wednesday against the Europa Champions, Sevilla. Will the long midweek flight to Moscow negate the home field at Old Trafford? Edge: even.

The remaining three UCL matches look to be manageable with United playing 5 or 6 of the bottom division teams.

Rishi,
Ibteresting on the schedule. Def an underrated part of CL.

Gotta root for Kazakhstan, this years Cyprus

Btw, Europa draw;
Pool has Rubin Kazan, bordeaux, sion
Tottenham has Anderlecht, Monaco, Qaranag(azerbaijan)

Rishi,
Ibteresting on the schedule. Def an underrated part of CL.

Gotta root for Kazakhstan, this years Cyprus

Btw, Europa draw;
Pool has Rubin Kazan, bordeaux, sion
Tottenham has Anderlecht, Monaco, Qaranag(azerbaijan)
Tottenham w/the Azerbaijani draw w/Qarabag. If you've never heard of them, they're a shyte little team from North London.

Haha

Have to say really impressed by Newcastle today. Amazing effort and heart but never gonna do much down a man for 75. Arsenal, yuck. They have massive final third issues and im not sure this personnel can solve them.

Didnt have issue with the red but i thought other calls were heavy against the home side.

Agree with everything you said kooter.

Walcott not the answer up front.

No Ozil hurt our flow big time.

Ox and Ramsey were terrible today.

A win is a win but that was a helluva lackluster effort by the Goons.

West Ham up 2-0 on Liverpool at home at the half and Chelsea and Man City both scoreless at the half. Could be some serious dropped points today. (That said, I fully expect both of them to win. But I can hope.)

Palace up 1-0 on Chelsea. Awesome! 25 minutes to go.

I love Crystal Palace. I think I've said it before here but they would absolutely be my favorite team if not for Arsenal. Their fans are phenomenal.

go Palace!
anyone seen all these reds today? Killing my fantasy team, i think Stoke has 2 reds and there are at least 4 today overall maybe more.

City up 2-0 and Chelsea is down 1-0 with Falcao on with 16+ minutes to play.

City, with De Bruyne on the way can wrap this thing up by XMAS if the table holds it's current form/pace.

Newcastle has basically played back to back nil-nil games against United and Arse, their inability to score, like last year, is gonna hurt them.

I was talking to my son yesterday that I don't want this to happen, United offering De Gea and $60 million for Bale, and today I read it might be De Gea and £65 million ($100 million USD). Bleh, unless Bale can score 20-25, and even then it's still too much cash. (Real paid $123 million for Bale, so Real will recoup $100 million of that and get De Gea as a bonus). If Bale does come to United, I friggin pray that the transfer price drops dramatically!

Last edited:
if i were Madrid i'd add Bale in for whatever United wanted. He's awful on field and really hasn't gotten along with his teammates in training either, he's not well liked and it shows. There is no reason to keep Bale, it failed move on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT