ADVERTISEMENT

Any Apple Watch experts in here?

Bud Fox

Seminole Insider
May 3, 2002
I am going to buy the wife an Apple Watch today. What are the differences between the gps and non gps one, pros and cons, etc.

And any advice or thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.

I don't think there is a non GPS watch anymore. There is one with cellular and one without. The one with has to have service on your cell phone plan. You can take it out without your phone and still receive calls, texts, etc. The one without cellular, you have to keep your phone with you for that stuff.

Edit: Apparently they are still selling the series 1 which does not have GPS. So you'd need your phone with you to track runs, bikes, etc.

I don't think there is a non GPS watch anymore. There is one with cellular and one without. The one with has to have service on your cell phone plan. You can take it out without your phone and still receive calls, texts, etc. The one without cellular, you have to keep your phone with you for that stuff.

Edit: Apparently they are still selling the series 1 which does not have GPS. So you'd need your phone with you to track runs, bikes, etc.
This is what I meant. There is a GPS only watch that needs the watch to be within 30-40 feet of your phone, or the cellular + gps one where the phone can be home or wherever, and you can use the watch functions anywhere.

Anyone have either one, and any thoughts or opinions?

I'd avoid the first gen, it has some shortcomings and is much less responsive than the current gen 3 apple watches. To throw a wrench in the works, apple is set to release a gen 4 watch pretty soon.

From an everyday smartwatch standpoint, for me personally, I tend to lean more toward the garmin watches. Function for function the apple watch just isn't as accurate or long lasting as its garmin equivalent. Of course the ace up apples sleeve is the eco system and ability to make and receive calls without lugging your phone around if you have the LTE version.

PS. I don't personally have a series 3 LTE but we did get my dad one so that he would be regularly available provided he remembers to charge the damn thing!

Reactions: Bud Fox
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT