ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone own an EV?

littleitch1

Seminole Insider
Nov 26, 2008
Not to be political about it, I rode in a Tesla the other day and the young lady stomped on the pedal and almost threw my back out, twice

I couldn’t believe how quick it was!

I also saw some EV dirt bikes and they were flying!

Kinda weird not hearing the roar of an engine!

Reactions: BrianNole777
Beware of fire caused by wet or overheated batteries! Had a friend/neighbor that had a fire caused by an overheated Lithium battery in their car and it destroyed the total garage and 2 vehicles as well as all contents within the garage! These fires are difficult to fight and burn extremely hot.

Mrs. Ed had a Kia Soul electric; biggest lemon we ever owned, especially when winter came and the battery wouldn't charge up enough to get her commute in. Big rip-off. They may be better now, but would never buy another one.

Bought a Nissan Aryia and love it. Good to not pay gas costs and avoiding air pollution. In the coming years they will be the vehicles of choice.

What does your electric bill look like now? A noticeable jump or no?

I was wondering about this

? With less use of carbon fuels used to run Conventional vehicles, and the demand for electricity increasing, won’t they have to ramp up power plants to supply the increased electricity demands?

Of course I’m just a simple man , but it doesn’t make sense to me

Side question:

I noticed recently in Delray Beach Florida they have a fleet of brand new natural gas burning garbage trucks

Now they want to get rid of natural gas as well so what becomes of all these trucks nationwide wide that we’re changed over from petroleum to natural at the bequests of climate change folks?

Just money, money and more money being thrown away

Don't forget the pollution creating producing the electricity to charge.
Don’t forget the pollution from exploration, to drilling/fracking, to pipeline/transport, to refining, to distribution/transport, to fuel stations, to burning in an ICE…
Or, the cleanup costs associated with hiccups in every step along the way.

EVs often average 80 plus MPG equivalent. That equals less pollution, no?

I’m all in favor of improving our energy options and sources and I’m mindful of the technology catching up but we have a ways to go before we find the optimal solution.

Reactions: littleitch1
Don't forget the pollution creating producing the electricity to charge.
Overwrought...............few places get their electricity only from fossil fuel burning.........almost all places have some renewable energy feeding their grids. Fossil fuel plants have a series of pollution mitigating systems on them now. The big issue is coal burning plants which still pollute a lot. Here in New Hampshire 82% of our electricity comes from renewables (Nuclear, Hydroelectric, etc.)
Florida gets around 20% from renewables (Solar, Nuclear and a little hydroelectric/biamass). Got there coal down to around 7%, which is way less than where it was 20 years ago. Majority is natural gas (74%). Each state/region is a little different. Florida has 2 nuclear plants on the drawing board, but on hold. Hopefully, they will take advantage of the new modular technology now that it is coming on board.

My point was....electric cars still have a carbon footprint. May be small, but it still exists.
I am sure the carbon footprint with EVs will be smaller than with pertro vehicles, however from what I have read and heard the environmental impact will be far worse. This will be because of the huge mining operations necessary to get compounds needed for the lithium batteries and disposal of the batteries.

I am sure the carbon footprint with EVs will be smaller than with pertro vehicles, however from what I have read and heard the environmental impact will be far worse. This will be because of the huge mining operations necessary to get compounds needed for the lithium batteries and disposal of the batteries.
The question is from where did you hear this. While I don't question there will be impacts, I do question the severity. The fossil fuel industry will do any and everything to protect their market share.

@fsufool, not sure nuclear is considered renewable. It definitely has waste.
Let's call it carbon free then....................its the future and going to be a game changer around the world with modular and micro nuclear. FYI...........all types of energy has waste............biomass which is considered renewable is burning wood and leaves waste including air pollutants.

The batteries, just like the old school lead ones that you return for a core charge at the parts store, are recycled. I got close to $900 “core” when replacing a hybrid battery.
Don’t forget the “huge mining operations“ that bring us carbon fuels.

Is air pollution really an issue for America?

The rest of the world by comparison

Interesting article...........doubt they can say the same thing about water pollution but would like to read a corollary with the history of water pollution as a focus. Happy that water pollution seemed to peak in the 1970s and has been receding since, but bet government action is a large component.

I don't have one. Have some friends who love the performance of theirs.
I believe we're at the beginning of what will be a rapidly evolving technology in the batteries and in the recycling of the materials.
Like many other technologies, entrepreneurs will develop better mousetraps... or they won't and the ICEs will remain the prevailing power source I do think the EVs are challenging the norm and traditional manufacturers will try to compete by increasing MPGs in their products.
Every journey begins with a first step.

I do not have one. While I like the performance aspects of a EV they are not enough to overcome a well performing ICE vehicle. Currently there aren't enough pro's of owning a EV that outweigh the cons as compared to a ICE vehicle. Pollution aspects to me are a wash all things considered. TOC seems to be in favor of the ICE vehicles currently if you consider insurance, maintenance over the long term and initial cost outlay. Fuel costs to me are a wash due to how new the charging networks are, long distance travel and home charging availability. Once more EV's get on the road electricity costs to charge thee vehicles will surly rise to the level of gas prices so I see no real advantage there either. My biggest issues are the batteries and how they are produced and disposed of. Due to the mining of lithium, cobalt and magnesium required and the surrounding issues I don't really see a upside over oil production.

The question is from where did you hear this. While I don't question there will be impacts, I do question the severity. The fossil fuel industry will do any and everything to protect their market share.
As will any industry.

Reactions: F4Gary
Google is your friend.

Funny. Smartass.

What I meant is your specific example or are you speaking in generalities? All big business lies about the impacts of their products from big oil, NRA, lithium battery manufacturers, Teflon, plastics ect... They are protecting their investments. Is it right? Nope, but it happens everywhere.

How much of the climate impact has been overstated as well? Just in this thread there is back and forth about that.

Funny. Smartass.

What I meant is your specific example or are you speaking in generalities? All big business lies about the impacts of their products from big oil, NRA, lithium battery manufacturers, Teflon, plastics ect... They are protecting their investments. Is it right? Nope, but it happens everywhere.

How much of the climate impact has been overstated as well? Just in this thread there is back and forth about that.
Generally.

I fully understand protecting your investment but lying to do it isn't right. The saddest thing is, too much of this has become political. It's not hard to predict who is going to be on which side of most any issue.

Generally.

I fully understand protecting your investment but lying to do it isn't right. The saddest thing is, too much of this has become political. It's not hard to predict who is going to be on which side of most any issue.
I don't see it as political at all, it becomes that way once reported. Everyone does it about almost every issue and its equally wrong in any form. Just as wrong is the media reporting those lies in a way to back their position thereby making it political.

Reactions: F4Gary
I don't see it as political at all, it becomes that way once reported. Everyone does it about almost every issue and its equally wrong in any form. Just as wrong is the media reporting those lies in a way to back their position thereby making it political.
Always been for the environment and electric vehicles until disturbing facts were found and are being ignored by the MSM.

Reactions: noletaire
Heres why I made the switch…

• I really don’t care about saving the environment as much as I do saving money. My new car gets 4x the distance for the same amount of fuel cost. And if it helps the environment, it’s a plus.
  • It is peppy as all heck! 0-30 in 2 seconds. My old 600 hp ICE sports car is barely off the line in 2 seconds.
  • It has nothing to take care of but tires.
  • It takes LESS effort to recharge than to get gas refills. I just plug it in every few days and it’s full again. (my initial range anxiety quickly vanished as it never was a real world issue as I’m always full).

While I do miss the sizzle of my ICE, it in no way overcomes all of the other inferiorities of this outdated, inefficient propulsion system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT