ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone own an EV?

It’s about 4x more efficient.
https://electrek.co/2021/07/27/ev-vs-ice-how-far-can-you-travel-in-each-state-for-100/
In this article, in Florida, for $100, you can travel 1,009.2 miles on gas, or 3,846.2 miles on electric power.

So 3.811x

That is about right based upon my experience with our two EVs.
They run on peanuts compared to a gas car.

As for pollution output, it’s 3.811x better due to efficiency BEFORE factoring in the efficiencies of a power plant scrubbing for carbon output etc. So, much, much cleaner.
From the article:

• Level 1 AC (120V outlet at home): 20-40 hours
  • AC Level 2 (Third party chargers/Tesla chargers/Tesla home charger): 8-12 hours
  • Level 3 DCFC (Tesla Supercharger): 15-25 minutes
As you may have guessed by now, Tesla’s Supercharger network is the way to go, especially in a pinch. However, due to their massive direct current, Superchargers are not recommended for daily charging.

Questions? Where does the electricity come from and at what carbon cost?

Impact on the environment from materials used to make the batteries? Actual shelf life on batteries replacement? cost?

How long to charge from a solar powered home?
How much efficiency lost by ethanol in gasoline?
How much electricity needed to power an ICE vehicle?

Let’s address a concern that keeps being brought up that does not exist.

There is no strain on the electric grid from EV charging.

There is ample availability to charge the EV cars. IF there is a problem, it is solved by telling the car to begin charging at off peak hours. An EV car only charges for a small portion of the week. You can pick and choose the hours in which it charges.

Again, this is not a problem. There was one instance where I think it was in California that the governor asked EV cars not to charge during peak hours during a crisis period. The alt right media ran with that screaming, aha see?? The alt right media was also the one screaming when we took away the ridiculously inefficient incandescent lightbulb.

There is ample availability to charge the EV cars. IF there is a problem, it is solved by telling the car to begin charging at off peak hours. An EV car only charges for a small portion of the week. You can pick and choose the hours in which it charges.

Again, this is not a problem. There was one instance where I think it was in California that the governor asked EV cars not to charge during peak hours during a crisis period. The alt right media ran with that screaming, aha see?? The alt right media was also the one screaming when we took away the ridiculously inefficient incandescent lightbulb.

" Settled Science"?

I don’t exactly know what “settled science” means here, but here’s the solution IF the grid begins to have a problem…

You cut the cost of a kw during off peak hours.

Problems with the grid really mean problems during peak time. Push the usage to off peak time where production is readily available and the problem is solved.

Every EV owner will tell their car to start charging when the price drops

Again, there is no problem today. But if there is, this is the simple solution.

I don’t exactly know what “settled science” means here, but here’s the solution IF the grid begins to have a problem…

Problems with the grid really mean problems during peak time. Push the usage to off peak time where production is readily available and the problem is solved.

So energy is not problem and will never be problem as long as we continue the (cough) Green new deal? steal?

This is a developing technology and pushing those who manufacture ICE tecnology. Both will improve as a result.

As I read the debate on this thread -- both making cogent points -- I am reminded of my junior and high school years in Brevard County during the sixties when we watched a lot of test shots fail before the investment began to pay off with Gemini and Apollo and later the Space Shuttle.

There were those who were dead against space exploration; calling it a waste of tax-payer dollars. Maybe someone here can point to the overall economic impact of that investment over the past 60 years. I can't.

My dad taught science and my mother worked at NASA so those of us who lived there paid attention to the developing aeronautic technology and numerous spin off technologies that would have a major impact on a number of American innovations in defense and in other industries. My dad also talked about the inspiration the space program instilled in his students, many of whom went on to be rocket scientists, doctors or sportswriters who were more open to the wonder of science and what we humans are capable of accomplishing than we would have otherwise been.

I think we are witnessing the same thing happening in automotive technology where the EVs have become disruptors, challenging ICE manufacturers to develop more-efficient modes of transportation. In the process both are spinning off technologies that'll likely benefit other industries: Capitalism in action.

I suspect we'll see the competition push next-gen technology of EVs, batteries, power sources not yet imagined as well as improved ICEs as innovators seek to build the better mousetrap and survive competition.

This is a developing technology and pushing those who manufacture ICE tecnology. Both will improve as a result.

As I read the debate on this thread -- both making cogent points -- I am reminded of my junior and high school years in Brevard County during the sixties when we watched a lot of test shots fail before the investment began to pay off with Gemini and Apollo and later the Space Shuttle.

There were those who were dead against space exploration; calling it a waste of tax-payer dollars. Maybe someone here can point to the overall economic impact of that investment over the past 60 years. I can't.

My dad taught science and my mother worked at NASA so those of us who lived there paid attention to the developing aeronautic technology and numerous spin off technologies that would have a major impact on a number of American innovations in defense and in other industries. My dad also talked about the inspiration the space program instilled in his students, many of whom went on to be rocket scientists, doctors or sportswriters who were more open to the wonder of science and what we humans are capable of accomplishing than we would have otherwise been.

I think we are witnessing the same thing happening in automotive technology where the EVs have become disruptors, challenging ICE manufacturers to develop more-efficient modes of transportation. In the process both are spinning off technologies that'll likely benefit other industries: Capitalism in action.

I suspect we'll see the competition push next-gen technology of EVs, batteries, power sources not yet imagined as well as improved ICEs as innovators seek to build the better mousetrap and survive competition.
Excellent!

The problem comes when 80% of cars are EV, not when less than 2% are. It will require more electricity production.

You should post on this board more. Very insightful perspective.

If you have children and/or grandchildren you need to do everything you can to reduce air and water pollution for their future if not your own. Climate change is real and our weather issues are going to get worse until our leaders wise up and address it

If you have children and/or grandchildren you need to do everything you can to reduce air and water pollution for their future if not your own. Climate change is real and our weather issues are going to get worse until our leaders wise up and address it

I believe God put mankind as stewards of the Earth, it’s air, it’s water, it’s creatures, and All of his Creations!

So I don’t disagree with our responsibilities to do just that

What I don’t understand is how China,India,the Amazon nations get a free pass

All I hear about is Americans being called on to make drastic changes

So let’s say America did make the changes, would one country make a difference if other countries don’t make changes?

If China, India and the Amazon countries that burn off the rain forests don’t get on board how will it make a difference?

If America and other countries are truly serious about this where’s the pressure to get these countries on board?

At the end of the day the polluters will pollute, the war machines will do their thing, politicians will spew lies and more lies to enrich themselves, and man will continue to disregard Almighty God and his mandate of Stewardship and pursue their evil ways in the pursuit of power and wealth!

Man can only destroy Gods Creation if God allows it!

This is my belief and I stand by it!

Cant Look GIF by Katelyn Tarver

Right. Because all of our climate data for the last 150 years or so (part of which is reliable) gives us a good indication of what the climate patterns on Earth look like over the course of 4.5 billion years.

Reactions: trunole1 and F4Gary
Good article.

If people emit only a tenth as much CO2 as nature does, then why are scientists so concerned about our emissions driving climate change? It is because our extra chunk of carbon emissions has tipped out of equilibrium what was once a balanced cycle. “What's being taken out by natural processes is more or less equal to what's being put in—other than the extent to which we've disturbed it,” Rothman says. This is why the atmospheric level of CO2 continues to creep up as humans keep burning fossil fuels: Human activities tip the scales by adding carbon to the air faster than the planet’s sinks can absorb it.

Reactions: Semmi202

So if there isn't a problem why would there need to be a solution? You stated earlier "Let’s address a concern that keeps being brought up that does not exist." They have already asked people in California to scale back EV charging during peak hours. How many will actually do that without being forced to? Half? If its a nothing burger why ask?

The US electric grid is already strained in many places as evidenced by rolling black outs and brown outs during peak usage in summer and winter. Right now with EV's accounting for less than 5% of vehicles its not an issue but what about in 2025 when its projected to be 10% or in 2030 when it could be 30%? The US electric grid has a capacity of around 1250 GW with a small percent in reserve. Another almost 2000 GW are waiting to be connected but cant due to constraints with the grid. Production in the US has only exceeded demand since 2019. These numbers will improve but will they at the pace of EV's coming onto the market?

On the pollution side C02 emissions for vehicles in the US is around 3 billion metric tons. Power plants producing electricity creates around 1.5 billion metric tons. Based on the projection of 30% of vehicles becoming EV by 2030 will these numbers offset? what about 50% EV's? Unless the added electricity is renewable that emissions number will rise.

Good article.

If people emit only a tenth as much CO2 as nature does, then why are scientists so concerned about our emissions driving climate change? It is because our extra chunk of carbon emissions has tipped out of equilibrium what was once a balanced cycle. “What's being taken out by natural processes is more or less equal to what's being put in—other than the extent to which we've disturbed it,” Rothman says. This is why the atmospheric level of CO2 continues to creep up as humans keep burning fossil fuels: Human activities tip the scales by adding carbon to the air faster than the planet’s sinks can absorb it.
Exactly. There is a balance here. If we decrease ICE vehicles and the C02 emissions there will be an increase in EV's and electricity production. Unless we increase that capacity through renewable energy we will still be out of balance. Or decrease the number of vehicles in general.

Exactly. There is a balance here. If we decrease ICE vehicles and the C02 emissions there will be an increase in EV's and electricity production. Unless we increase that capacity through renewable energy we will still be out of balance. Or decrease the number of vehicles in general.
It's been demonstrated in this thread that the production of electricity to charge EVs produces less pollution than a comparable number of ICE vehicles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT