ADVERTISEMENT

Backing In

Back into parking spot

• Total voters

GeddyLee09

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 10, 2005
I was at Publix yesterday and watched a guy trying to back into a diagonal parking spot. The lot was crowded and it took him a number of tries while others impatiently waited to go by. How many of you actually do this and why? What's the point in backing in? In many European countries you don't see it too much but in some Asian countries its almost universal.

Reactions: BrianNole777
In an angled parking space there is no reason other than the driver was afraid of losing that space if they looped around to go in nose first.

In parallel spaces, it's often easier to back in my truck (Tundra Crew Max) than it is to pull in nose first. If I'm in my wife's car, it's always nose in first.

In an angled parking space there is no reason other than the driver was afraid of losing that space if they looped around to go in nose first.

In parallel spaces, it's often easier to back in my truck (Tundra Crew Max) than it is to pull in nose first. If I'm in my wife's car, it's always nose in first.
That's the thing it was one way so he could have just pulled in but instead he did a 97 point back in job that probably took 5 minutes.

I used to occasionally, but hell, at my age it's hard enough to drive in a parking lot, much less do some fancy-ass parking deal. I WILL pull through if it's straight, however. It makes getting out of the parking spot so much easier, and I truly do hate backing up for anything, anywhere.

Reactions: fsufool
I only back in at a parking garage where I do not need to access my lift gate.

GO NOLES!!!

I only back in at a parking garage where I do not need to access my lift gate.

GO NOLES!!!

Just re-thought it. I also back in when my tailgate spot is against a sidewalk or green area as well which would allow unfettered access to the lift gate.

GO NOLES!!!

If I am getting together with some of my car buddies or at a car show, I always back in. Otherwise it is only sometimes.
To parallel park, I don't see any other way if there are cars ahead and behind you.

If I am getting together with some of my car buddies or at a car show, I always back in. Otherwise it is only sometimes.
To parallel park, I don't see any other way if there are cars ahead and behind you.
Obviously to parallel park. Luckily alot of folks dont know how so many of them stay open.

• Haha
Reactions: BeamerJB
For angled parking I never back in. For perpendicular, I either pull through or back almost all the time because it is safer and it doesn't take me long.
Safer? Isn't there risk in hitting the cars while backing in? It would seem to me you have a better view while pulling in. Or do you mean safer to pull out? I don't think there's a right or wrong way but I have seen parking lots with signs saying pull in parking only.

I was at Publix yesterday and watched a guy trying to back into a diagonal parking spot. The lot was crowded and it took him a number of tries while others impatiently waited to go by. How many of you actually do this and why? What's the point in backing in? In many European countries you don't see it too much but in some Asian countries its almost universal.
Soooo, depending on the lot aren’t you going the wrong way when leave said parking spot!

Safer? Isn't there risk in hitting the cars while backing in? It would seem to me you have a better view while pulling in. Or do you mean safer to pull out? I don't think there's a right or wrong way but I have seen parking lots with signs saying pull in parking only.
It's safer compared to pulling in front and then backing out. Because cars and pedestrians are more likely to see you when you are in the aisle way and backing in, than when backing out of a spot. Additionally, when pulling out of your spot going forward you are more likely to see pedestrians and other cars on the aisle way, than if you were backing out. The more dangerous part is when pulling out of the spot, therefore it is safer to pull out of the spot going forward, rather than backing out.

Honestly, I never really thought about it until my best friend who got his CDL quite some time ago, pretty much always did it. I asked him why and he said that he learned it was safer when he got his CDL and explained it.

Here is one of many articles that talks about it as well.

Last edited:
5a36d127-d89e-4434-aa59-372b8d4f2653.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT