ADVERTISEMENT

Best used truck under 30k

Originally posted by 62Nole:
All I can say is that over the last few years at auto auctions in S. Carolina, when trucks are equal in miles and trim levels, Chevy/GMC bring the most money, then Ford and Dodge last. Tundras can be all over the place. True crew or quad cabs are the most desired by far. (as opposed to extended cabs).
And I'm looking for an extended cab.
ohwell.r191677.gif

Originally posted by 62Nole:
All I can say is that over the last few years at auto auctions in S. Carolina, when trucks are equal in miles and trim levels, Chevy/GMC bring the most money, then Ford and Dodge last. Tundras can be all over the place. True crew or quad cabs are the most desired by far. (as opposed to extended cabs).
Toyota Tundras and Tacomas hold their value so well it's actually unbelievable.

Another vote for the Titan. I have a 2005 and am waiting to see the Cummins diesels that are coming out. I have also heard good things regarding the 1/2 ton Dodge Eco Diesel. As in 30+ mpg. Un heard of in a 4x4 truck.
Originally posted by jamnolfin:
My Titan will be 10 years old next month, never had anythinggo wrong on it. Might check out the new 1/2 ton diesels coming out. I'm all about towing. Chris Craft will hook me up if I get anotherTitan
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Just an update for anyone who cares I just left the Ford dealership empty handed after several hours of negotiations over a 2013 lariat. Very nice truck but didn't like the color and ultimately felt like I would be overpaying for a truck that will be worth a lot less soon (due to the 2015 coming soon). They had it at 36k on the lot and we got down to 32k but I wanted it at 30k plus a back up camera installed.

Originally posted by ghostofsyracusezone:
Another vote for the Titan. I have a 2005 and am waiting to see the Cummins diesels that are coming out. I have also heard good things regarding the 1/2 ton Dodge Eco Diesel. As in 30+ mpg. Un heard of in a 4x4 truck.

My Titan will be 10 years old next month, never had anythinggo wrong on it. Might check out the new 1/2 ton diesels coming out. I'm all about towing. Chris Craft will hook me up if I get anotherTitan

I saw the dodge diesel at the expo and someone said it would get 37!!???

Originally posted by Bartdog:

Does that matter now that diesel is double the cost of unleaded??? So it's equivalent to 18.5?

Dodge says 28.

Originally posted by ncnole1975:

Does that matter now that diesel is double the cost of unleaded??? So it's equivalent to 18.5?
Reg = $2.32, ethanol is $2.09 and diesel is $2.84 where I live. It's not double.

Originally posted by ghosto...sezone:

Reg = $2.32, ethanol is $2.09 and diesel is $2.84 where I live. It's not double.
Regular is 2.19 and Diesel is 3.89 at the station by my house. Not quite double but damn close. Ethanol or E85 is garbage. Your mileage will go down significantly with that crap.

By the way, the Ford dealership had a barely used 2014 Silverado they were trying to blow out for around 40k. The sticker on the truck new was like 55k and it only had about 9k miles on it, it was extremely nice on the inside and basically looked like an Escalade. It did briefly make me want to consider a Chevy. I'll tell you what though, that Ecoboost F150 drives NICE. It might be faster than my Acura TL-S...

Just got a 09 Chevy Silverado. Grabbed it for under 20K with 60K in miles. Love the truck and it was very well maintained by previous owner. Silverado gets my vote.

Originally posted by Everyo...Garnet:
By the way, the Ford dealership had a barely used 2014 Silverado they were trying to blow out for around 40k. The sticker on the truck new was like 55k and it only had about 9k miles on it, it was extremely nice on the inside and basically looked like an Escalade. It did briefly make me want to consider a Chevy. I'll tell you what though, that Ecoboost F150 drives NICE. It might be faster than my Acura TL-S...
The eco boost is an over hyped 6cyl that gets worse gas mileage than I do with a 5.3l v8. Why would anyone by a full size truck with a 6cyl??

That v6 has more HP and is a half second faster to 60 than your 5.3 v8. The only thing the v8 does better is make a nicer sound, which unless you have exhaust is barely noticed.

Originally posted by Everyo...Garnet:
That v6 has more HP and is a half second faster to 60 than your 5.3 v8. The only thing the v8 does better is make a nicer sound, which unless you have exhaust is barely noticed.
And gets better mileage ;-)

The unbiased comparison I read had them getting the exact same milage. I'm not bashing Chevy, I might even end up with one, but I definitely think that EcoBoost is a fantastic engine. Not really fair to call it overhyped just because it's a v6.

Originally posted by EveryoneBleedsGarnet:
The unbiased comparison I read had them getting the exact same milage. I'm not bashing Chevy, I might even end up with one, but I definitely think that EcoBoost is a fantastic engine. Not really fair to call it overhyped just because it's a v6.
It still sounds like a V6 Mustang, which sucks.

Any update?

I'm still shopping. I'm really leaning towards a 2014 F150 xlt crew cab 4x4 but the ones in my price range (keeping it under $30k) have the bench seat up front. I'd really like to find one with bucket seats and the console. I know it seems petty but I like the upgrades with that model and if I'm dropping $30k, I feel it should have some amenities.

Originally posted by nolesincebirth:
Any update?

I'm still shopping. I'm really leaning towards a 2014 F150 xlt crew cab 4x4 but the ones in my price range (keeping it under $30k) have the bench seat up front. I'd really like to find one with bucket seats and the console. I know it seems petty but I like the upgrades with that model and if I'm dropping $30k, I feel it should have some amenities.

I feel the same way. I'm going to go to the Chevy dealership soon and give the Silverado a fair shot since I've never driven one, then I'm going to go check out the 2015 F150s and see if it's either A) worth waiting a year for a used one or B) spending more than I wanted to but getting a new truck or C) scooping up a 2013 or 2014 at a reduced rate since the trade ins are about to come piling in. Also I heard that the 2015 F150 XLT (starting MSRP of 31k) will have standard navigation which will be a big plus so you don't have to spring for a Lariat or higher to get a nice dash console...

The USAA car buying app (True Car) has the 2015 xlt super crew 4x4 with the 5 1/2 foot box for a little over my budget but it's making me hesitant to drop $30k on a used that doesn't have everything I want if I could get a new for slightly more.

Let me know what you think of the Chevy. I haven't even considered them.

EDIT: disregard that 2015 price. The incentives Ford was offering expired today. I saw it listed through USAA for $35,300. It is now over $37k. Out of my budget.

This post was edited on 1/1 3:14 PM by nolesincebirth

Originally posted by ghosto...sezone:

Regular is 2.19 and Diesel is 3.89 at the station by my house. Not quite double but damn close. Ethanol or E85 is garbage. Your mileage will go down significantly with that crap.
Very true about the ethonal. However, regular is more expensive than ethanol and is only $.52 cheaper than diesel making it very worth it where I live. I am not going to drive to where you live to fill up.

Any update?

I feel the same way. I'm going to go to the Chevy dealership soon and give the Silverado a fair shot since I've never driven one, then I'm going to go check out the 2015 F150s and see if it's either A) worth waiting a year for a used one or B) spending more than I wanted to but getting a new truck or C) scooping up a 2013 or 2014 at a reduced rate since the trade ins are about to come piling in. Also I heard that the 2015 F150 XLT (starting MSRP of 31k) will have standard navigation which will be a big plus so you don't have to spring for a Lariat or higher to get a nice dash console...
Built in Nav is overrated. Garmin and Magellan give you free map updates. The factory ones don't.

Originally posted by F4Gary:

Any update?

Built in Nav is overrated. Garmin and Magellan give you free map updates. The factory ones don't.
Garmin? What is this 2005? Maybe I'll go buy a Tom Tom so I can go all the way back in time.

WTH? Either you use your phone or you use a nav unit. Garmin is a better deal than a factory built-in nav.

Originally posted by F4Gary:
WTH? Either you use your phone or you use a nav unit. Garmin is a better deal than a factory built-in nav.
Truth is I don't care about the built in Nav nearly as much as I like having a screen in the dash for aesthetics and also back up camera...

So another update. Just went to the Chevy dealership and drove a new 2014 Silverado. Personally I thought it was a dog. It felt very underpowered and sluggish. It didn't even sound good. I expected much more from the 5.3 everyone brags about. After reading a few comparisons I also thought it would ride much smoother than the F150 and that simply is not the case. The only good thing I will say is the interior on the higher end models are better than Ford though. Couple that with terrible Chevy reliability and I'll be getting an F 150. Just not sure which one yet.

I was at Jim Barkley Toyota in Asheville today for some service on a car. They have multiple used Tacoma trucks for under $30k...which was the originlal thought for this thread. Google Jim Barkley...

I have mine for sale for $35k Firm, but it will not win any MPG awards at an average of 13 in town and 15 on the highway.
2013 with 24k miles 4x4 Leather LT Z71 Lift and all accessories (6" procomp lift, 35" mT tires and so forth) were dealer installed and covered. Has the 5.3L and has been dealer maintained as required. I love the truck, but I am looking to move into a new F250 with the new 6.7L diesel for pulling my travel trailer.

truck2.jpg

Originally posted by FSU_jeep:
I have mine for sale for $35k Firm, but it will not win any MPG awards at an average of 13 in town and 15 on the highway.
2013 with 24k miles 4x4 Leather LT Z71 Lift and all accessories (6" procomp lift, 35" mT tires and so forth) were dealer installed and covered. Has the 5.3L and has been dealer maintained as required. I love the truck, but I am looking to move into a new F250 with the new 6.7L diesel for pulling my travel trailer.

truck2.jpg
What size are those rims?? Not a ton of sidewall for 35's!

ec
Nice truck, but doesn't fit what I'm looking for (I want better gas milage)

truck2.jpg

What size are those rims?? Not a ton of sidewall for 35's!

Those are 20's.

Nice! What's your required clearance now with the life and tires?

6" suspension lift on the truck gives these tires plenty of clearance. I would guess at least another 40k miles of tread left on them.
Sorry- I meant overhead clearance. I have to deal with parking garages from time to time and trying to figure out how high I can go...

Nice! What's your required clearance now with the life and tires?

6" suspension lift on the truck gives these tires plenty of clearance. I would guess at least another 40k miles of tread left on them.
Sorry- I meant overhead clearance. I have to deal with parking garages from time to time and trying to figure out how high I can go...
With my setup my truck fits in a normal 7' garage door with 1/2 of clearance. Still fits through supersuds for detailing. However at 6' 11.5"'s it does limit me on parking garages.

FYI, car and driver just broke down the four new 2015 full size models (ford, chevy, dodge, toyo). pretty solid write-up with some interesting bits (chevy is only 81 lbs heavier than the ford with all that aluminum).

I found a 2013 F150 xlt super crew 4x4 with 22k miles. It has the captains chairs as opposed to the bench seat, the fixed center console, and the nicer entertainment center/full screen. I plan on driving and seeing in person today. I've seen 20 plus pictures and it appears to be in great condition.

I've been negotiating with the seller via phone and we've agreed on a price of $27,500. Assuming I like it in person, I'm going to buy it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT