ADVERTISEMENT

Best used truck under 30k

Originally posted by timbo37059:
Jeep why not consider the duramax if going to the diesel?

I got a GMC 1500 bought it brand new in 06 now has 310000 on it. Never had a problem. Only replaced brakes and few front end parts. The 5.3 is the best motor in the business IMO. Classic motor that chevy has dialed in. I feel ford has had to tweak things to keep up. My dad has one for work and he feels it's gutless.

I went truck shopping his weekend actually I'm going to trade up and get diesel. They are expense but I am planning to buy a tractor so I need it to haul.
The duramax is the most expensive diesel on the market in the 3/4 ton class.

I can get a pretty decked out Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins or Ford F250 4x4 6.7L in the $45k range, same features in the GMC/Chevy are Are 55k and up.

One of the things that bothers me most about spending the extra money on a 2500 GMC or Chevey is that if you debadge those trucks you can't tell the difference in them and a 1500 going down the road.

I agree on the 5.3L it is a great motor with plenty of power for its class.

I've had all of the Diesel pickups. The DuraMax/Allison transmission is a combination that can't be beat. The Cummins in the Dodge is a great engine, but the transmission won't hold up as long as the engine.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by FSU_jeep:
Jeep why not consider the duramax if going to the diesel?

I got a GMC 1500 bought it brand new in 06 now has 310000 on it. Never had a problem. Only replaced brakes and few front end parts. The 5.3 is the best motor in the business IMO. Classic motor that chevy has dialed in. I feel ford has had to tweak things to keep up. My dad has one for work and he feels it's gutless.

I went truck shopping his weekend actually I'm going to trade up and get diesel. They are expense but I am planning to buy a tractor so I need it to haul.

I can get a pretty decked out Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 Cummins or Ford F250 4x4 6.7L in the $45k range, same features in the GMC/Chevy are Are 55k and up.

One of the things that bothers me most about spending the extra money on a 2500 GMC or Chevey is that if you debadge those trucks you can't tell the difference in them and a 1500 going down the road.

do you have much experience with a Ram? if so, whats you opinion vs. ford/chevy (sticker price not considered)?

Originally posted by EveryoneBleedsGarnet:

Originally posted by Noleguy06:
Originally posted by EveryoneBleedsGarnet:
So after about a month on the hunt I just bought a 2013 FX2 v8, fully loaded, factory 20" wheels, charcoal gray exterior and black leather interior. It was listed at 31k and after trade and everything I ended up financing 20k so it's not going to break the bank. After being in the market for a while I definitely think I got the best deal on the particular truck I wanted. I ended up being happy with the 5.0 V8 because I was a bit worried about the reliability of the ecoboost long term and also the v8 sounds great, even without exhaust.
If it was listed at $31k, how much did you pay including finance on just the vehicle (not including taxes/fees)?
It was already listed very low, comparables in a 500 mile radius were like 34k average, so they genuinely didn't have much room, which I believe 100% after looking at a bunch of similar trucks. That said, they took $500 off the top, then basically over-allowed on my trade by 2k. So if it was a cash deal I would've been getting it for like 28.5k. Then of course you gotta add in tax, tag title and dealer fee which in this case ended up being about 2500. (I think the dealer fee was 800 or so)
Ha Ha Dealer Fee.

Dealer Fees: Some dealers write other fees into the
contract and give them official-sounding names: "S&H" or "Dealer
Prep" or even "Shipping." Find out early what fees you will be charged
and negotiate accordingly. Before you sign the contract, ensure that no
additional dealer fees have been added.

I find someone paying a dealer fee on a used car even more funny.

With that said:

I am glad you got the truck you wanted and hope you enjoy it for many years.
I did go into the negotiations knowing the dealer fee, we negotiated on "out the door" price, not pre-dealer fee price. After talking to a bunch of dealerships and looking at hundreds of trucks online and in person I am very satisfied with my out the door price. You do realize that every dealership has a dealer fee right? If it's not obviously shown then you can bet that there is at least an extra $500 added into their bottom line. It is what it is, you just have to play the game.

Here's the truck I ended up with. Did a few mods to it so far, more to come... Definitely going to swap out the grill with a smittybilt custom black mesh

Stage_1_5b.jpg

This post was edited on 3/6 1:28 PM by EveryoneBleedsGarnet

do you have much experience with a Ram? if so, whats you opinion vs. ford/chevy (sticker price not considered)?
If you purchase a Ram 2500 I would lean toward the manual tranny if you are going to work it or tow. The dodge is notorious for bad tranny/transfer case. The cummins might be the best motor on the market though. I am a GMC homer but the ford 250/350 is a good work truck. Solid axle front end is stiffer but carries a load well. Better if you plow than the chevy. Don't buy a used ford from 04 to 08 with the 6.0 that is not a good motor lots of problems. The Allison tranny is the best money can buy IMO.

Beautiful truck Garnet. Nothing better than having a new Rig.
Thanks man, I'm 27 and it's my first non-Japanese made vehicle. I really like it so far, Americans definitely know how to make great full size trucks.

Just picked up a 2013 F-150 super crew cab, 3.5L V6 with ecoboost, towing package, all the normal bells and whistles, sidesteps, chromed out, sirius, sync, backup camera, cruise, all power with 10,500 miles on it for 27500 out the door after 3k trade on the 2001 F150 he had.

I bought the wife a 2014 Ram 1500 with the V-6 a year ago. Great truck and will get 26 mpg on non interest open road driving. Interstate driving is no so great, at 75-80 mph it will only do about 22 mpg. Unbelievable power for a v-6. It is fully loaded and rides great and no road noise. This summer I am going to order a new Ram 2500 with the hemi for myself. One thing I would recommend regardless of what any one buys is to go full high quality synthetic fluids throughout. My current truck is an 01 2500 dodge with the cummins and auto trans. I use amsoil oils throughout the truck and have over 425,000 miles on it with no transmission or engine issues. In fact I pulled the valve covers off to adjust the valves at 400K miles and there was no sludge buildup at all. I do a lot of heavy hauling so the tranny has been worked hard.

Originally posted by divinnole:

I bought the wife a 2014 Ram 1500 with the V-6 a year ago. Great truck and will get 26 mpg on non interest open road driving. Interstate driving is no so great, at 75-80 mph it will only do about 22 mpg. Unbelievable power for a v-6. It is fully loaded and rides great and no road noise. This summer I am going to order a new Ram 2500 with the hemi for myself. One thing I would recommend regardless of what any one buys is to go full high quality synthetic fluids throughout. My current truck is an 01 2500 dodge with the cummins and auto trans. I use amsoil oils throughout the truck and have over 425,000 miles on it with no transmission or engine issues. In fact I pulled the valve covers off to adjust the valves at 400K miles and there was no sludge buildup at all. I do a lot of heavy hauling so the tranny has been worked hard.
Think this is going to be my first option. I don't tow jack but miss driving a truck and need to have a bunch of space as I'm tall. The '15 Ram Big Horn V-6 Crew Cab is my #1 option right now with the '15 F-150 #2. Thinking about the Hemi but I don't want pay for premium gas and better horsepower/towing if I'm not going to be using it.

Think this is going to be my first option. I don't tow jack but miss driving a truck and need to have a bunch of space as I'm tall. The '15 Ram Big Horn V-6 Crew Cab is my #1 option right now with the '15 F-150 #2. Thinking about the Hemi but I don't want pay for premium gas and better horsepower/towing if I'm not going to be using it.
I wish I knew what day to tell you to go buy it on because I bought hers for $12K including taxes under sticker price. Apparently the day we bought it they had to sell 6 more when we went in to keep from having to pay a big floor plain fee on every new car on the lot. The financial officer told us we would not have got the same deal the next day. I asked him if there was a certain day each month were that came into to play and he said it was a quarterly deal but the date changed each quarter.

You don't have to use premium gas in a hemi unless it's a Hellcat.

Originally posted by F4Gary:

Let me clarify, you have to use mid-grade (89) per what I've read in the manuals on a new Dodge Ram /w Hemi. That's on average .20 cents higher than regular unleaded (87) here in AZ.

Let me clarify, you have to use mid-grade (89) per what I've read in the manuals on a new Dodge Ram /w Hemi. That's on average .20 cents higher than regular unleaded (87) here in AZ.
No you don't. I probably says recommended (vs required), which means you can burn 87 octane. They use premium octane when they rate the horsepower and mileage because the computer can advance the timing with the higher octane. It will run just fine on regular.

Most of the earlier turbo and supercharged engined required premium to avoid detonation. Now even the turbos can run regular, the computer will compensate.

No you don't. I probably says recommended (vs required), which means you can burn 87 octane. They use premium octane when they rate the horsepower and mileage because the computer can advance the timing with the higher octane. It will run just fine on regular.

Most of the earlier turbo and supercharged engined required premium to avoid detonation. Now even the turbos can run regular, the computer will compensate.
You probably know more about autos than I do. What is the performance slip on these engines then if I were to use strictly 87? Long term effects?

You probably know more about autos than I do. What is the performance slip on these engines then if I were to use strictly 87? Long term effects?
Zero effects. Performance slip will be unnoticeable unless you are in dyno or running against a clock for some reason. You may lose .5 mpg. Maybe drop .02-.05 second son 0-60

Originally posted by ncnole1975:

Zero effects. Performance slip will be unnoticeable unless you are in dyno or running against a clock for some reason. You may lose .5 mpg. Maybe drop .02-.05 second son 0-60
Yep, you may be down 5 hp at the top end, which you never use.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT