ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking Bad is brutal-- 2 episodes left (No Spoliers please)

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
***Warning-- if you are watching the show I'm discussing what has happened up to the final two episodes (which I haven't watched yet).****

I have to post on this topic again after watching the third to last episode. Hank and Steve just died in the shootout, Jessie is getting beaten by the Uncles gang/ being forced to help Todd cook and Walt kidnaps the kid after fighting with Skyler (thus having junior call the cops on his dad). Walt has now left to get a new identity after leaving Holly at the firestation.

This show is so dang gripping and engaging but at the same time VERY DEPRESSING!

So many lives destroyed in this series... thus the title is fitting.

Can't wait to see what the last two episodes have in store--- no spoliers please.

Just a question with out giving anything away for the last two--- what is everyone's take on Hank? He seems almost as skrewed up as Walt.... The constant comments about flushing Hank out, even if it involves getting Jessie killed, is proof that Hank is a scumbag as well.

The funny thing is about the show-- everyone Walt tries to help ends up dead. LOL...

The only decent people in this show were Steve and Junior
laugh.r191677.gif

So I guess you watched all the seasons and only have the last 2 episodes left? I was like you that I did not start watching the series until it was over, but it did not disappoint. To me Breaking Bad is the best show I have ever seen,surpassing favorites of mine like Mash, Sopranos, and Saint Elsewhere.

I don't think badly of Hank like you do, but either way that character was written and acted so perfect.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yes Hank suffered from hubris as much as Walt did. To them the ends justified the means.

I can't wait for you to watch the final episode where Walter kills his family and escapes to Aruba. ; )

Yes Hank had his issues. It is another example of what I liked about the show. There is so much depth to every character. Too many movies or TV shows spend time on character development on the main character and the supporters become caricatures or have no depth. BB is great because you get a sense of the duality in everyone in the show. Frustrating at times to watch when it would go slow but then after you finish it you have a good appreciation for the show in it's entirety. Would not have been as good overall without some of the slow, prodding episodes. And without spoiling it, I think the show ended perfectly.

Originally posted by Nole Daddy:
So I guess you watched all the seasons and only have the last 2 episodes left? I was like you that I did not start watching the series until it was over, but it did not disappoint. To me Breaking Bad is the best show I have ever seen,surpassing favorites of mine like Mash, Sopranos, and Saint Elsewhere.

I don't think badly of Hank like you do, but either way that character was written and acted so perfect.

Yeah I'm watching on Netflix. This show is fantastic-- the acting, story, etc. But it is brutally depressing.

My point about Hank is: he was driven to what he wanted no matter who stands in his way... every bit as much as Walt.

I can't wait for you to watch the final episode where Walter kills his family and escapes to Aruba. ; )

If it involves killing Marie (and Skyler of course) then I might be ok with that
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by GwinnettNole:

Yeah I'm watching on Netflix. This show is fantastic-- the acting, story, etc. But it is brutally depressing.

My point about Hank is: he was driven to what he wanted no matter who stands in his way... every bit as much as Walt.

It is not a fairytale for sure. This show got better and better, and just was fantastic. I was completely addicted watching episode after episode, and I barely watch TV anymore. It was like I was addicted to the blue stuff.

I'm also impressed you held off from watching the last 2-3 episodes back to back. I remembering watching the last 5 in two nights.

Originally posted by SoddyNole:
I'm also impressed you held off from watching the last 2-3 episodes back to back. I remembering watching the last 5 in two nights.
Trust me I wanted to. But life, kids, wife, responsibilities all got in the way.....

This show is fantastic-- the acting, story, etc. But it is brutally depressing.
It's depressing because it HAS TO BE. Gilligan sums it up:

"My girlfriend says this great thing that's become my philosophy as
well. 'I want to believe there's a heaven. But I can't not believe
there's a hell.' "

Good NYT writeup

Yeah, I don't think Hank was a bad guy or a scumbag. I think he started off the series as a dick though, and a guy who kind of coasted on his big shot status, probably earned at one time, but for a long time fueled mainly by bravado and attitude. He was a guy that didn't have to be very smart to be a lot smarter than the idiots he was busting (aka Jesse's "Cap'n Cook" persona) and let that go to his head.

However, I thought as the series progressed, and particularly being humbled by his accident, brought out the real cop in him, either for the first time, but probably brought it back out. The existence of Heisenberg challenged everything he thought about himself and the mythos he had built up around himself, and he responded. Maybe overly obsessed, but I would never thought of him as a scumbag.

It's funny, I thought Breaking Bad actually originally did a pretty bad job fleshing out it's secondary characters early on. I didn't really respond to any of them besides Jesse, who was more like the co-lead. I thought Hank was a caricature at best.

However, at some point they managed to totally turn the corner on that big time, maybe with the addition of Gus and Saul and Mike. They did finally start to flush out the secondary characters in a more exciting way, including Hank, although I'm not sure they were every really able to do much with Skyler, Marie and Walt Jr. They did manage some interesting stuff with Skylar, and tried to give Marie that shoplifting thing, but I just don't think they were completely successful writing Skylar, Marie and Walt Jr into something much more than basically the furniture they were at the beginning of the series.

I watched all but the last season on Netflix and failed to set my DVR for the last season. I had to watch the last few episodes, up to where you are now, on the AMC web site. At that point I had no choice.

Probably the most painful thing to watch (aside from Hank getting shot) was probably when Junior found out. His reaction was very well done.

Originally posted by dbwdcw:
Yes Hank had his issues. It is another example of what I liked about the show. There is so much depth to every character. Too many movies or TV shows spend time on character development on the main character and the supporters become caricatures or have no depth. BB is great because you get a sense of the duality in everyone in the show. Frustrating at times to watch when it would go slow but then after you finish it you have a good appreciation for the show in it's entirety. Would not have been as good overall without some of the slow, prodding episodes. And without spoiling it, I think the show ended perfectly.
Good stuff, you should be a critic. Perfectly said.

I got so addicted to this show after about season that I used a weeks vacation with my girl friend and we watched the rest. Epic Netflix binge! I then moved on to Lost and thought it was wonderful for the first two seasons. Then it became to sci fi.

Great show, I loved the black kingpin's character, gus I think. Great scene how he died but wanted more of him. The way he killed the cartel was awesome

the most disturbing scene was Walt letting the heroin addict choke on her puke. Also the scumbag that killed the cute hispanic chick. pissed me off !

Originally posted by grady327:
I got so addicted to this show after about season that I used a weeks vacation with my girl friend and we watched the rest. Epic Netflix binge! I then moved on to Lost and thought it was wonderful for the first two seasons. Then it became to sci fi.

Lost and Breaking Bad are fantastic

I waited to watch the last episode until about a month or two after it ended when I started seeing people post about it with spoilers on Facebook. They didn't spoil it for me. Single greatest ending to a TV show that I ever saw.

Originally posted by ShaolinNole:
I waited to watch the last episode until about a month or two after it ended when I started seeing people post about it with spoilers on Facebook. They didn't spoil it for me. Single greatest ending to a TV show that I ever saw.
Sure was.

Finished watching--- that was a lot crammed into the last episode but ended perfectly. Started watching the Saul spinoff a little on AMC last night...

Leave everyone with this quote from a previous season-- Heisenberg....

"Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears! It ceases to exist without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Great show. I'm historically guilty of coming to shows long after they are popular. Did it with the Sapranos, SOA, etc. Last month I watched all the BB seasons over a two week period. Loved every episode. Now I'm watching Californication. Was laughing so hard the other day...my two boxers were looking at me like I was crazy. Love the Saul spin off as well.

Finished watching--- that was a lot crammed into the last episode but ended perfectly. Started watching the Saul spinoff a little on AMC last night...

Leave everyone with this quote from a previous season-- Heisenberg....

"Who are you talking to right now? Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn't believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going into work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly up. Disappears! It ceases to exist without me. No, you clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"
i_am_the_one_who_knocks__by_brandon91995-d54ilzx.png
[/URL]

Originally posted by Bartdog:

Originally posted by EveryoneBleedsGarnet:
Breaking Bad is the best finished series of all time. Game of Thrones has potential to be better... I hope it is.
roll.r191677.gif

good one.
I don't care if the book series finishes. They will finish the show one way or another no matter what, even when the timeline passes the books, which... yes... will happen. GRRM knows the ending and so do the creators of the show.

Single greatest ending to a TV show that I ever saw.

The part with him looking over the equipment one last time, yeah.

The deus ex machina with the trunk mounted machine gun... not so much.

Great show though, enjoyed the ride.

Originally posted by ShaolinNole:

Originally posted by EveryoneBleedsGarnet:
Game of Thrones has potential to be better... I hope it is.
Everyone is killed. The End.
Well no doubt a lot of major characters will die, I think Jon Snow's true identity makes him the one true king somehow. Stannis dies. Daenarys lives but doesn't become queen of Westeros, maybe she'll end up ruling the East. Bran lives and becomes a badass dragon warg or something. Arya lives and becomes a faceless assassin. All of the Lannisters except for Tyrion die. Littlefinger dies. Varys lives. Jorah dies. I'm not sure what major characters I missed, up to the TV timeline, I have no book spoilers at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT