ADVERTISEMENT

Bulletproof Coffee

EveryoneBleedsGarnet

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2010
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Yes it sounds crazy on the surface, putting grass fed butter and MCT (coconut) oil in your morning coffee... but it's backed up by some interesting "evidence" and countless testimonials. I've had it 4 straight days and I must say... I love it. I feel alert and full until lunch. I'm in Vegas on business right now and really missing it already. Anyone else on it? Most people haven't even heard of it.

I don't drink coffee, but I've been doing this for about a year with tea. It's good.

I used to make them. They are good if you mix them up right . Using a spare French press to plunge the coffee makes for a nice froth. Brew some coffee, than pour it over some butter and coconut oil in a separate French Press. Plunge up and down really fast and you create a really frothy BPC. It's basically a good way to get some healthy fat into your diet without having to make a meal. Nothing earth-shattering about it, but can give you a nice buzz and hold your appetite at bay between meals.

I've never heard of this before. I thought it was some brand of coffee until I googled it. I love coffee, but I think I'll pass on putting butter in my coffee.

I've never heard of this before. I thought it was some brand of coffee until I googled it. I love coffee, but I think I'll pass on putting butter in my coffee.
It doesn't taste bad. It's really just a thicker version of cream. Coconut oil has some flavor to it, which can be off-putting if you don't like the taste of coconut, obviously. I usually don't like the taste of coconut, but as long as you mix it up well and get it nice and frothy, it actually tastes pretty good.

Some people swear by it, but it sounds like a huge pain in the ass. For example, it can't be just any butter, it has to be butter from grass-fed cows. I think it's a special type of coffee and brewing process, too.

Some people swear by it, but it sounds like a huge pain in the ass. For example, it can't be just any butter, it has to be butter from grass-fed cows. I think it's a special type of coffee and brewing process, too.
BPC falls generally goes with the grain-free diet umbrella, so grass-fed butter is kind of a given. You do have to froth it up somehow, or it is kind of gross if you don't blend the oils from the butter/cc oil well. You could use crap butter and coffee, but it's like anything else you eat--the better quality you put in, the better results.

I've done it a couple of times just to see what it tastes like. Not bad but not something I'd want to do every day.

I have a friend that swears by this...he's absolutely crazy, but he is getting shredded up on this stuff.
I've already noticed some small health benefits to go along with increase mental clarity... To anyone worried about the taste I can see where you are coming from, but I haven't met anyone that doesn't like it after they've tried it. Or at least they can tolerate it. It doesn't taste as weird as it sounds.

Tribe's shortest contribution to a food/beverage thread, ever.

Fine, I'll say what I was actually thinking. Salted butter in coffee isn't that uncommon worldwide and is in fact the preferred way of serving it in Ethiopia where coffee as a drink very likely originated (and not the Middle East). I've had a full Ethiopian coffee ceremony with salted butter and it was...ok. I still prefer it either as a cold press black version, with cream and sugar or with pecan praline liqueur.

But to add coconut oil on top of it? Sounds pretty awful and dense.

I make mine the easiest way possible, I cut off a 1tbs portion from the butter stick, pour 2tbs of MCT oil in a blender ball, and brew the coffee from my Keurig right into the blender ball and shake it. Done. Takes about 60 seconds start to finish.

Fine, I'll say what I was actually thinking. Salted butter in coffee isn't that uncommon worldwide and is in fact the preferred way of serving it in Ethiopia where coffee as a drink very likely originated (and not the Middle East). I've had a full Ethiopian coffee ceremony with salted butter and it was...ok. I still prefer it either as a cold press black version, with cream and sugar or with pecan praline liqueur.

But to add coconut oil on top of it? Sounds pretty awful and dense.
BPC uses strictly unsalted butter. Not sure how much that would change the flavor, but it's not dense, just more frothy.

I make mine the easiest way possible, I cut off a 1tbs portion from the butter stick, pour 2tbs of MCT oil in a blender ball, and brew the coffee from my Keurig right into the blender ball and shake it. Done. Takes about 60 seconds start to finish.

that's how my crazy friend does it too.... Assumed it would only make me fatter, but maybe I'll have to try it

This doesn't sound too bad. Do you use regular unsalted butter?

This doesn't sound too bad. Do you use regular unsalted butter?
Gotta be unsalted. Telling you, get it nice and frothy however you can and you think you're drinking a less sweet version of a frappaccino. I find it pretty simple using the french press as a plunger method. Takes about 10 seconds of vigorous pumping and you got a nice frothy blend.

I personally think the science behind its weight loss claims is crap. If you're eating at caloric maintenance, adding a 460 calorie cup of coffee will not make you suddenly start to burn fat. The only way to burn fat is to be in a caloric deficit.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
You can get organic coconut oil, sans smell and taste, if you don't like that. Conversely, you can buy MCT oil, but that stuff tastes awful!

I personally think the science behind its weight loss claims is crap. If you're eating at caloric maintenance, adding a 460 calorie cup of coffee will not make you suddenly start to burn fat. The only way to burn fat is to be in a caloric deficit.
The only purpose for bpc is to add some good healthy fat to your diet. It's not supposed to be a fat burning elixir. At least I've never heard it described that way.

having a high fat breakfast curbs your appetite for the rest of the day and will help you not to backload on calories at the end of the day, which most people that skip breakfast end up doing. It helps jump start your metabolic rate. This is just an easier way of getting that fat rather than making an egg, avocado, bacon breakfast. Plus, the MCT oil helps fuel your mental sharpness for the day, the caffeine helps deliver it into your bloodstream.

I didn't know about this Bulletproof coffee, but i think it's interesting that some guy "came up with this" I have been using coconut oil as a natural sweetener in my coffee for years. Never gonna put butter in my coffee though.

having a high fat breakfast curbs your appetite for the rest of the day and will help you not to backload on calories at the end of the day, which most people that skip breakfast end up doing. It helps jump start your metabolic rate. This is just an easier way of getting that fat rather than making an egg, avocado, bacon breakfast. Plus, the MCT oil helps fuel your mental sharpness for the day, the caffeine helps deliver it into your bloodstream.

Lol. Ugh. Most of the claims Asprey makes were confirmed through confirmation bias. Bullet proof coffee won't help you lose weight.
Eating less calories (a deficit) will.

But, if you like it, by all means drink it.

Lol. Ugh. Most of the claims Asprey makes were confirmed through confirmation bias. Bullet proof coffee won't help you lose weight.
Eating less calories (a deficit) will.

But, if you like it, by all means drink it.
I don't put butter in my coffee and don't plan on it. Coconut oil, yes, but not butter.

Also, I heard the eating a high in fat - low carb breakfast is the healthiest way to boost your metabolism...also paired with small snacks throughout the day, like healthy fruits and veggies, almonds, etc. get your carbs for lunch and eat a high protein, low carb dinner to finish the day is the best way to lose weight...paired with exercise as well. haha. this is what a doctor at the CDC told me in my running group.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT