ADVERTISEMENT

Charleston Church Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never been able to figure out if I am "happier" if they catch these animals alive or they kill themselves/get killed by the police.

Reactions: peezy28
The best thing to do when reading stories like this is to steadfastly resist any urge to click on the comments section.

Boy oh boy do I wish I could have the last few minutes of my life back.

There are some truly hateful people in this world...and without fail, they all "comment" on stories online.

I've never been able to figure out if I am "happier" if they catch these animals alive or they kill themselves/get killed by the police.

Better for us AND him really if he had been man enough to not go out like a %*^+y. Do you know how much 24-7 security the prisons and jails are going to have to keep on him so that he doesn't get raped then shanked or vice versa in jail/prison? He's probably target #1 in the US.

Better for us AND him really if he had been man enough to not go out like a %*^+y. Do you know how much 24-7 security the prisons and jails are going to have to keep on him so that he doesn't get raped then shanked or vice versa in jail/prison? He's probably target #1 in the US.

Not sure I agree. He'll be a target for sure, but not to the entire jail/prison population (there are likely other white supremacists in lockup who wouldn't harm him). Someone who is a child killer/rapist is a much more likely target in my opinion from dealing with jails. Like in my neck of the woods, Justin Ross Harris. Oddly enough, today is the 1 year mark for the death of his son from being left in the car for 7 hours. Harris has been in medical isolation since his arrest and cannot go into general population because he'd be dead. Child killers are target 1 in jails/prisons.

Reactions: NoleDiesel
very true, the average prison has enough white supremacists to keep him safe.

BTW, that reminds me, anyone else see the Jeff Ross special recently? Jeff Ross Roasts Prisoners? Pretty dang good.

Somebody forgot to tell that guy that churches are 'gun free' zones.

UVtF8p8.jpg

Yeah but a scrawny white kid that shoots up a black church will have a tough go of it In prison...let's not kid ourselves.

On a much much lighter prison note, did anyone see Jeffrey Ross's comedy special at the Brazsos county jail? It was pretty funny.

very true, the average prison has enough white supremacists to keep him safe.

BTW, that reminds me, anyone else see the Jeff Ross special recently? Jeff Ross Roasts Prisoners? Pretty dang good.
Saw it advertised, definitely wanted to check it out.

IMO, the ideal result with shootings like these is for the perp to be apprehended alive, given a fair trial, and if found guilty, spend the rest of their natural born life in jail.

I would be more apt to agree with that if the entire sentence was in a relatively small cell with no sunlight coming in at all with no visitors allowed and the 3 meals being something like PB&J everyday. No TV. No weight room or getting to go out in the yard or anything like that. Entire time in the cell.

IMO, the ideal result with shootings like these is for the perp to be apprehended alive, given a fair trial, and if found guilty, spend the rest of their natural born life in jail.

I would not be looking for retribution or revenge and nor would I attempt rehabilitation. With psychopaths such as this they simply need to be removed from existence in the most expedient fashion.

I would not be looking for retribution or revenge and nor would I attempt rehabilitation. With psychopaths such as this they simply need to be removed from existence in the most expedient fashion.

I agree. To me execution is not about retribution or a pound of flesh. It is simply that these are horribly defective and dangerous human beings which cannot be safely on their own. And it's much cheaper and truthfully probably more humane to simply end them.

Saw where some news outlets were spinning this to an attack on "faith" since it happened in a church. Guess his statement about wanting to kill black people isn't as important.

Got to point me where they are saying this is an attack on faith. Most are showing that he was a racist and the usual suspect (Lindsey Graham for one) are saying he was just a messed up kid..probably on drugs...just a whack job....without referencing his overt racism.

Saw where some news outlets were spinning this to an attack on "faith" since it happened in a church. Guess his statement about wanting to kill black people isn't as important.
Link?

Though w/or w/out a link, I think you can safely assume that this ("attack on faith") will be said at every Evangelical church in America this Sunday.

Got to point me where they are saying this is an attack on faith. Most are showing that he was a racist and the usual suspect (Lindsey Graham for one) are saying he was just a messed up kid..probably on drugs...just a whack job....without referencing his overt racism.
Can't copy it from my phone. Will when I get to my laptop.

Fox had a segment this morning where they went on about how this was an attack on faith and they couldn't believe people were calling it a hate crime. Also thought churches should be armed to defend themselves against further attacks.

Fox had a segment this morning where they went on about how this was an attack on faith and they couldn't believe people were calling it a hate crime. Also thought churches should be armed to defend themselves against further attacks.

Bless their hearts.

What difference does it really make?

What difference does it really make?

Regarding whether the media/politicians/talking heads say this was a racist hate crime or just a whacked out/troubled white kid that may or may not have been on drugs?

For the victims, their family and friends: nothing.

For a national discussion, I find how this shooter was characterized (i.e., "whacked out" "troubled") bothersome.

Reactions: peezy28
Well....I thought you meant news. There is a reason the headline editor went with that heading.

Haha. Now that is for sure an example of "confirmation bias". I can only hope that the folks on Fox had simply not yet heard about his statements of "Raping our women" and "taking over the country". There are plenty of affronts to faith in this country, but this is appearing to be nothing but a racial hate crime.

Ironic and doubly evil to me that instead of at least going to where "bad guys" hang out so that he had some better likelihood of taking out his supposed potential rapists, he goes to people who preach against violence to their black Christian flock, and takes them out. And Geeez.....shooting an 87 year old woman???

Reactions: shakane and goldmom
Whether someone intentionally murders you for your shoes, car or other possession or because you are of a particular race, religion or for any other reason for that matter, should the punishment be any different? Pretty much all pre-meditated murders would have to be based on hate? So aren't all murders pretty much hate crimes? Why does it matter that it gets labeled a hate crime? It was pre-meditated murder. It doesn't get much worse than that. Whether it is a white on black or black on black or white on white or black on cop or cop on black any other combination, wouldn't all these murders be crimes based on hate? Why do we need a special label for murders?

Reactions: AdNole
Haha. Now that is for sure an example of "confirmation bias". I can only hope that the folks on Fox had simply not yet heard about his statements of "Raping our women" and "taking over the country". There are plenty of affronts to faith in this country, but this is appearing to be nothing but a racial hate crime.

Ironic and doubly evil to me that instead of at least going to where "bad guys" hang out so that he had some better likelihood of taking out his supposed potential rapists, he goes to people who preach against violence to their black Christian flock, and takes them out. And Geeez.....shooting an 87 year old woman???

Ha ha ha. Almost all media has bias one way or the other. All the major media outlets are biased. Really sad. So you almost have to listen to both and realize the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Reactions: shakane
Ha ha ha. Almost all media has bias one way or the other. All the major media outlets are biased. Really sad. So you almost have to listen to both and realize the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Yep. Problem is most people realize the main guys on CNN, FoxNews and MSNBC are hacks and there for entertainment but unfortunately many people take them as be all end all and take in what they say as fact.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom

Ditto. The more I realize this the more cautious I am. Fox is probably closer to my own philosophical inclinations, but when I do get to listen to cable (rare) I go back and forth. I know a lot people like to hear their inclinations reinforced.....I prefer to have mine challenged, at least with some regularity, to keep me on my toes.

Reactions: West Duval Nole
Whether someone intentionally murders you for your shoes, car or other possession or because you are of a particular race, religion or for any other reason for that matter, should the punishment be any different? Pretty much all pre-meditated murders would have to be based on hate? So aren't all murders pretty much hate crimes? Why does it matter that it gets labeled a hate crime? It was pre-meditated murder. It doesn't get much worse than that. Whether it is a white on black or black on black or white on white or black on cop or cop on black any other combination, wouldn't all these murders be crimes based on hate? Why do we need a special label for murders?

I do think some murders are more "hateful", but don't understand why the motivation makes a murder better or worse. Used to be a great mystery series, Columbo, where many of the murders were commited after cold, hard calculation; to get cash, or to be in line for a promotion.......but with no emotional 'hatred'. I don't think hate should come into play legally except to the extent it caused you to torture someone unnecessily. But then I would still gauge the severity of your crime by your behavior, not what made you tick.

Last edited:
So, riddle me this. There is not monumental uproar about taking away someone's right to drive on public roads...whether because they age out and are deemed incompetent, violate certain standards, etc...
Why are gun owners given a lifetime pass? Why does this 21 year old get to carry in public places without passing muster? He did not have to pass a test or show ID in order to carry a .45 in a public place.
If folks like the NRA and others want to promote the right to carry, why don't they have to self police the carriers?
Why does what used to be considered an enlightened and modern society settle for this kind of crap?
Are we really all right with the concept, as a lady at work told me today, that the worshipers should have protected themselves? This lady leads the choir at her church and she thinks that it is OK for her to have to pull out her piece in the middle of practice to protect herself...

So, riddle me this. There is not monumental uproar about taking away someone's right to drive on public roads...whether because they age out and are deemed incompetent, violate certain standards, etc...
Why are gun owners given a lifetime pass? Why does this 21 year old get to carry in public places without passing muster? He did not have to pass a test or show ID in order to carry a .45 in a public place.
If folks like the NRA and others want to promote the right to carry, why don't they have to self police the carriers?
Why does what used to be considered an enlightened and modern society settle for this kind of crap?
Are we really all right with the concept, as a lady at work told me today, that the worshipers should have protected themselves? This lady leads the choir at her church and she thinks that it is OK for her to have to pull out her piece in the middle of practice to protect herself...

And here we have a tragedy being used to promote a political agenda. A discussion is fine but why must a tragedy be used to have the discussion.

And here we have a tragedy being used to promote a political agenda. A discussion is fine but why must a tragedy be used to have the discussion.

Not only a political agenda, but the media is using it to promote further violence. Every headline cites race, color, and hate. That will only fuel further animosity and hate. This was a terrible tragedy, but the guy will face justice. A murderer is a murder is a murderer…regardless of the reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT