ADVERTISEMENT

City's NAACP leader accused of falsifying race

Actually dogs are a good example. Most if not all dogs are not a single species but a manmade hybrid of three or four other species I believe.
Modern science and mitochondrial DNA has proven that the dog came from the wolf.

"They found that all dogs belong to one lineage, which indicates that domestication occurred just one time. (If wolves were domesticated several times in various regions, the team would expect to find more than one lineage among modern dogs."

Actually dogs are a good example. Most if not all dogs are not a single species but a manmade hybrid of three or four other species I believe.

I couldn't remember, but yeah after looking it up the modern "dog" depending upon breed is a blend of an ancient shared ancestor wolf of the modern gray wolf and the dog, the actual modern gray wolf, the extinct "Taimyr Wolf", the extinct "Altai Dog", the extinct "Goyet Dog", the extinct "Black Dog of Tumat". The latter two may just be the earliest domestication hybrids and not truly separate species. But the Paleolithic ancient gray wolf-dog ancestor, modern gray wolf, Taimyr/Megafaunal wolf are all separate species and the Altai Dog is likely different as well.

And speaking of hybrids, all of the wolves (domesticated dogs, modern gray wolves (obviously), dingos, cape hunting dogs, singing dogs, red wolves etc....) are interfertile.

I couldn't remember, but yeah after looking it up the modern "dog" depending upon breed is a blend of an ancient shared ancestor wolf of the modern gray wolf and the dog, the actual modern gray wolf, the extinct "Taimyr Wolf", the extinct "Altai Dog", the extinct "Goyet Dog", the extinct "Black Dog of Tumat". The latter two may just be the earliest domestication hybrids and not truly separate species. But the Paleolithic ancient gray wolf-dog ancestor, modern gray wolf, Taimyr/Megafaunal wolf are all separate species and the Altai Dog is likely different as well.

And speaking of hybrids, all of the wolves (domesticated dogs, modern gray wolves (obviously), dingos, cape hunting dogs, singing dogs, red wolves etc....) are interfertile.
Whatever genetic ancestor made the wolf where domestication occurred, all breeds of dogs now resulted from that domestication. That's the awe of it. There is ~.003% variance in DNA between a mastiff and chihuahua all created by human selection, all the same species, and the vast majority of breeds resulted in the last 150 years. If you could get the Chihuahua to throw the hot dog in the hallway of a mastiff, you would get fertile offspring.

Whatever genetic ancestor made the wolf where domestication occurred, all breeds of dogs now resulted from that domestication. That's the awe of it. There is ~.003% variance in DNA between a mastiff and chihuahua all created by human selection, all the same species, and the vast majority of breeds resulted in the last 150 years. If you could get the Chihuahua to throw the hot dog in the hallway of a mastiff, you would get fertile offspring.
Your trying to hard man. Theses things you are looking up while interesting are insignificant according to biologists. Domestic dogs are all part of one species and humans are all part of one species. Trivial amounts of mixing eons ago means nearly nothing. It's like saying my pool isn't filled with water because there is chlorine in it.

You have some neat stories there, but they do not refute my original point that race is an entirely social construct. There are far more genetic differences within races than between them. Scientists don't acknowladge race, unless they are political scientists.

A great video for dog lovers or science lovers. "The longest running eugenics experiment in history."

A great video for dog lovers or science lovers. "The longest running eugenics experiment in history."

Is that the one that talks about the Soviet era silver fox breeding program? Maybe that was called Dogs Decoded? Saw it on netflix...
From a population of something like 1000 silver foxes they observed about 1% that were indifferent to human approach. Didn't snarl at the cage, and didn't retreat. They bred them together and in two generations had a tame silver fox. Weird part was that breeding specifically for the temperament resulted in them developing other 'doggy' looking features not typical with the silver fox.

I think of that segment when people try to tell me that all dog breeds are equally safe.

Is that the one that talks about the Soviet era silver fox breeding program? Maybe that was called Dogs Decoded? Saw it on netflix...
From a population of something like 1000 silver foxes they observed about 1% that were indifferent to human approach. Didn't snarl at the cage, and didn't retreat. They bred them together and in two generations had a tame silver fox. Weird part was that breeding specifically for the temperament resulted in them developing other 'doggy' looking features not typical with the silver fox.

I think of that segment when people try to tell me that all dog breeds are equally safe.

That's not too surprising. I saw an article that basically said dogs came from....I'm not sure what word to use so I'll use my nonPC term retarded wolves. Apparently when comparing dogs to the archaic wolves and moder Gray wolf they originated from that the domesticated dog had similar DNA patterns as a human suffering from Williams-Beuren disease. That extended down into similar physical feature deformity. Humans with it are described as "characterized by elfin features, a shortened nose bridge, and "exceptional gregariousness"—its sufferers are often overly friendly and trusting of strangers."

So you find two foxes with a similar genetic disorder and viola...fox dogs.

How odd....a society that produces people eager to be a victim.

You just don't know how bad she had it man........this professor at UPenn gets it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-michael/i-sometimes-dont-want-to-be-white-either_b_7595852.html

"There was a time in my 20s when everything I learned about the history of racism made me hate myself, my Whiteness, my ancestors... and my descendants. I remember deciding that I couldn't have biological children because I didn't want to propagate my privilege biologically. If I was going to pass on my privilege, I wanted to pass it on to someone who doesn't have racial privilege; so I planned to adopt. I disliked my Whiteness, but I disliked the Whiteness of other White people more. I felt like the way to really end racism was to feel guilty for it, and to make other White people feel guilty for it too. And then, like Dolezal, I wanted to take on Africanness. Living in South Africa during my junior year abroad, I lived with a Black family, wore my hair in head wraps, shaved my head. I didn't want to be White, but if I had to be, I wanted to be White in a way that was different from other White people I knew. I wanted to be a special, different White person. The one and only.

I'm not sure what happened with Rachel Dolezal. Maybe it was mental illness. Maybe it was a desire to connect to her adopted brothers. Maybe she felt safer and more loved in Black communities. Maybe it felt good to distance herself from the overwhelming oppressiveness of Whiteness -- her own and that of her country and of her ancestors. But the lesson for me is remembering how deep the pain is, the pain of realizing I'm White, and that I and my ancestors are responsible for the incredible racialized mess we find ourselves in today. The pain of facing that honestly is blinding.

.........being White -- and facing the truth of what that means historically and systemically -- can drive you to do the weird and unthinkable that we see in Dolezal today. It seems like a good warning. Rachel Dolezal's actions are a potential pitfall for any White people on the journey towards recognizing the truth of what it means to be White and accepting responsibility for it. But we cannot not be White. And we cannot undo what Whiteness has done. We can only start from where we are and who we are."

What's the big deal? Black is a state of mind...

Nontheless, I'm impressed by her attention to detail

http://nypost.com/2015/06/16/black-or-white-no-doubt-rachel-dolezals-photos-are-red-hot/

polaris05190315.jpg

Reactions: -OB1-
That's actually a great business idea. She should start a line of "Aunt Jemima" Tanning Products for the melanin-ally challenged

Did she sing the song in '90's "If God was One of Us"?

You just don't know how bad she had it man........this professor at UPenn gets it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ali-michael/i-sometimes-dont-want-to-be-white-either_b_7595852.html

"There was a time in my 20s when everything I learned about the history of racism made me hate myself, my Whiteness, my ancestors... and my descendants. I remember deciding that I couldn't have biological children because I didn't want to propagate my privilege biologically. If I was going to pass on my privilege, I wanted to pass it on to someone who doesn't have racial privilege; so I planned to adopt. I disliked my Whiteness, but I disliked the Whiteness of other White people more. I felt like the way to really end racism was to feel guilty for it, and to make other White people feel guilty for it too. And then, like Dolezal, I wanted to take on Africanness. Living in South Africa during my junior year abroad, I lived with a Black family, wore my hair in head wraps, shaved my head. I didn't want to be White, but if I had to be, I wanted to be White in a way that was different from other White people I knew. I wanted to be a special, different White person. The one and only.

I'm not sure what happened with Rachel Dolezal. Maybe it was mental illness. Maybe it was a desire to connect to her adopted brothers. Maybe she felt safer and more loved in Black communities. Maybe it felt good to distance herself from the overwhelming oppressiveness of Whiteness -- her own and that of her country and of her ancestors. But the lesson for me is remembering how deep the pain is, the pain of realizing I'm White, and that I and my ancestors are responsible for the incredible racialized mess we find ourselves in today. The pain of facing that honestly is blinding.

.........being White -- and facing the truth of what that means historically and systemically -- can drive you to do the weird and unthinkable that we see in Dolezal today. It seems like a good warning. Rachel Dolezal's actions are a potential pitfall for any White people on the journey towards recognizing the truth of what it means to be White and accepting responsibility for it. But we cannot not be White. And we cannot undo what Whiteness has done. We can only start from where we are and who we are."
What...in...the...hell??

"I remember deciding that I couldn't have biological children because I didn't want to propagate my privilege biologically."

"But the lesson for me is remembering how deep the pain is, the pain of realizing I'm White..."

Dumbest thing I might have ever read in this whole, entire world.

What...in...the...hell??

"I remember deciding that I couldn't have biological children because I didn't want to propagate my privilege biologically."

"But the lesson for me is remembering how deep the pain is, the pain of realizing I'm White..."

Dumbest thing I might have ever read in this whole, entire world.
To expound a little. This professor went to:

Williams College (USN&WR #1 National Liberal Arts College)

Columbia University (USN&WR #4 National University)

U Penn (USN&WR #8 National University)

To me, that screams privilege - the same privilege that she later wants to completely turn her back on? "My goal is to walk through the door, and then close the door behind me."

It also shows the by-product of being completely insulated in an academic environment your whole life - living everything through the lens of theses, focus groups, and no practical "real world" experience at all.

You want to abandon your white privilege? Then quit your job and go live amongst the people. Drop all that fancy book-learning from your resume and go get an actual job where you have to work for a living. See how much privilege there is amongst whites in lower half of the income brackets. But you can't be a 1%-er and then complain about the privilege that people have that could never aspire to be where you're at.

Oh, and t seems she overcame her fear of bringing more privileged white kids into the world:

"She and her partner, Michael, live in Philadelphia and consider questions of race and education on a daily basis in the raising of their two children."

Screw her!

I heard her brother's interview on the radio - a replay of his appearance on Megyn Kelly last night - he thinks his sister is disturbed. I feel almost sorry for her because I agree, unless she thinks she is playing this to the hilt.
How do you sue Howard University for discrimination as a white person but now you are a black person?

Aside from that I don't care what she does. It's NOMB.

If you wanna be my baby,
it don't matter if you're black or white.

The Artist formerly known as FSU_UCLA (now just UCLA) has weighed in on the political board with what I think is a pretty representative opinion of a large wing of the professional psychological treatment community. I don't believe he's a member here, so I pass along his comments:

"This story irritates me. I am irritated with liberals for denying this woman's right to self-identify and attempting to invalidate and undermine her identity. I am irritated with conservatives for attempting to use this story to deny Jenner's right to self-identify and to invalidate and undermine her identity."

To expound a little. This professor went to:

Williams College (USN&WR #1 National Liberal Arts College)
Columbia University (USN&WR #4 National University)
U Penn (USN&WR #8 National University)

To me, that screams privilege - the same privilege that she later wants to completely turn her back on? "My goal is to walk through the door, and then close the door behind me."

It also shows the by-product of being completely insulated in an academic environment your whole life - living everything through the lens of theses, focus groups, and no practical "real world" experience at all.

Heard she landed a tenured spot at UCLA. She'll fit right in....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT