ADVERTISEMENT

Costco advice

They will often times rotate who makes their Kirkland products, based on who gives them the best price. I will agree that it is always of good quality; Costco isn't going to put their name on something below par.
I agree that they rotate who manufactures their products. I don't think it is that easy with liquor, especially considering there aren't any other TBB labels for either whiskey other than those linked above which would be required if they switched distillers.

They will often times rotate who makes their Kirkland products, based on who gives them the best price.

That I don't doubt.

At one time rumor had it that Kirkland brand diapers and wipes were made by Huggies, their detergent by Tide and their paper towels by Bounty. I was once told their "craft beer" was made by Gordon Biersch.

I forgot about the lunch. I will throw down on a slice of pizza quickly while at Costco.

Lol, I did the same thing today. Grabbed a quick cheese slice while I stopped off to pick up a computer for an employee.

Love Costco, always get a rotisserie chicken for $5. One trick that has worked very well for me is to but Staples (coffee, TP, detergent, protein powder, etc.) When they are on sale, regardless if you need them at that moment or not. For example, kirkland coffee doesn't go on sale often,so when it does, I buy two boxes.

Kirkland wine is bottled at the Coppola winery.

Wish we could buy booze at Costco here. But their beer prices are unbeatable.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Correct me if I'm wrong (might be an OK thing) but Costco alcohol doesn't require a memevership.

In the State of Florida, you are correct that you do not need a membership to buy liquor at Costco or Sam's or any membership club that sells it. They'll ask you for your membership card but that's only to track members purchases etc. Just tell them you're not member and you can purchase your liquor.

Love Costco, always get a rotisserie chicken for $5. One trick that has worked very well for me is to but Staples (coffee, TP, detergent, protein powder, etc.) When they are on sale, regardless if you need them at that moment or not. For example, kirkland coffee doesn't go on sale often,so when it does, I buy two boxes.
Have memberships at both Sam's and Costco. Sam's for about 20 years and Costco just opened about a year ago. I thought about dropping Sam's for Costco but they are different enough to use both IMH. I must say that Sam's rotisserie chicken beats Costco's, Publix, Kroger or any other in our area. My wife agrees and she was in the FSU circus so don't disagree with her.

LOL, yeah, I got the membership. But the store's so damn big, wondering where to focus first.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm mainly excited about the meat, although I'm down to three meat eaters in the house, so I'm guessing I may have to start freezing some? Assuming they all come in huge packages?

I think a lot of people that join Costco make the mistake of just going crazy buying stuff when they first join. I'd strongly recommend taking inventory and comparing prices to online or your other local grocery stores.

Based on my experience:
  • Take quick inventory of items you use frequently or are likely to get and note prices. You also want to get used to the monthly coupon book that comes in. Sales prices are applied automatically without the coupon book, but the prices are only good on certain dates so be sure to keep track of the windows. My wife has gotten very good about knowing what products go on sale every month and when they do. Stuff like paper towels, toilet paper, pampers, coffee, etc and the sales can range from $2/off to $10/off on items. After a few months, you pick up the trends for what is always on sale and what goes on sale a couple times a year. One of best sales is dish washer pods. Sams sells them $11 for 90 pods. Costco sale price is around $8 for 115 pods, which usually lasts us about 6 months or so.
  • If you buy something that goes on sale after you buy it, you can take the receipt to customer service and let them know, they'll price match the coupon book sale price and refund you the difference.
  • Electronics costs are so-so, but the warranty and no-questions-asked 90 day return policy are huge. I had a waterproof camera break on vacation, took it in and they swapped it out without question about 2 months after I bought it, no receipt or box needed. They've also started offering this new deal where if you buy the devices with your Costco Visa (highly recommend if you spend a lot there, annual rewards can save a boatload), they automatically give you an additional 2 years of warranty coverage for free:
    pdp-sm-ad-services-2+2.jpg
  • Side note: Their online selection does not match their in-store selection. I've generally found their online store prices and selection to be quite lacking compared to store. This is one area where Sam's is much better.Same with Sam's in-store pick-up options.
  • Their cell phone deals through Wireless Advocates are the best in the business. Many times, they offer $200 costco gift cards and a bundle of accessories (car charger, portable battery charger, case, screen protector) as well as waiving upgrade fee from your carrier ($25 to $50 savings). I have not found another service that rivals this. They also offer 90 day return/exchange policy and price match. I've used this many times, it works flawlessly. They also offer good insurance plans for much cheaper than regular carriers as well (does not cover lost or stolen devices though).
  • Chicken prices are generally good (especially chicken drums at $0.79/lb). Chicken breast prices can be beat on sale at regular grocery store, but the individual packaging is very convenient.
  • Contacts, eyewear and prescriptions can be much cheaper at Costco than other options.
  • While the produce are good at Costco, the quantity is so high that we often end up throwing stuff away before we can finish them off.
  • While most of their prices are good, not everything is a good deal there.
  • Last tip, if you see something there that you like, you should get it. A lot of their stuff is either seasonal or limited production. Once it sells out, it's gone. I've waited on many things and forgot to go back to get it later, only to see it gone by the time I went back.

I think a lot of people that join Costco make the mistake of just going crazy buying stuff when they first join. I'd strongly recommend taking inventory and comparing prices to online or your other local grocery stores.

Based on my experience:
  • Take quick inventory of items you use frequently or are likely to get and note prices. You also want to get used to the monthly coupon book that comes in. Sales prices are applied automatically without the coupon book, but the prices are only good on certain dates so be sure to keep track of the windows. My wife has gotten very good about knowing what products go on sale every month and when they do. Stuff like paper towels, toilet paper, pampers, coffee, etc and the sales can range from $2/off to $10/off on items. After a few months, you pick up the trends for what is always on sale and what goes on sale a couple times a year. One of best sales is dish washer pods. Sams sells them $11 for 90 pods. Costco sale price is around $8 for 115 pods, which usually lasts us about 6 months or so.
  • If you buy something that goes on sale after you buy it, you can take the receipt to customer service and let them know, they'll price match the coupon book sale price and refund you the difference.
  • Electronics costs are so-so, but the warranty and no-questions-asked 90 day return policy are huge. I had a waterproof camera break on vacation, took it in and they swapped it out without question about 2 months after I bought it, no receipt or box needed. They've also started offering this new deal where if you buy the devices with your Costco Visa (highly recommend if you spend a lot there, annual rewards can save a boatload), they automatically give you an additional 2 years of warranty coverage for free:
    pdp-sm-ad-services-2+2.jpg
  • Side note: Their online selection does not match their in-store selection. I've generally found their online store prices and selection to be quite lacking compared to store. This is one area where Sam's is much better.Same with Sam's in-store pick-up options.
  • Their cell phone deals through Wireless Advocates are the best in the business. Many times, they offer $200 costco gift cards and a bundle of accessories (car charger, portable battery charger, case, screen protector) as well as waiving upgrade fee from your carrier ($25 to $50 savings). I have not found another service that rivals this. They also offer 90 day return/exchange policy and price match. I've used this many times, it works flawlessly. They also offer good insurance plans for much cheaper than regular carriers as well (does not cover lost or stolen devices though).
  • Chicken prices are generally good (especially chicken drums at $0.79/lb). Chicken breast prices can be beat on sale at regular grocery store, but the individual packaging is very convenient.
  • Contacts, eyewear and prescriptions can be much cheaper at Costco than other options.
  • While the produce are good at Costco, the quantity is so high that we often end up throwing stuff away before we can finish them off.
  • While most of their prices are good, not everything is a good deal there.
  • Last tip, if you see something there that you like, you should get it. A lot of their stuff is either seasonal or limited production. Once it sells out, it's gone. I've waited on many things and forgot to go back to get it later, only to see it gone by the time I went back.

What an impressive write up. Are you on commission? You should be.

Reactions: 62Nole
I can't argue with his assessment of Costco all all, but I found a picture of Trip, taking his bike on a stroll through the city...

19662271-hipster-young-man-on-bike-in-the-city-Stock-Photo-fashion.jpg

Beard - check
Backpack - check
Flamboyantly colored Chuck Taylors - check
Bike - check
Douchey hat - check

Yep...he's a city dweller.
Exactly what I was thinking.

I can't argue with his assessment of Costco all all, but I found a picture of Trip, taking his bike on a stroll through the city...

19662271-hipster-young-man-on-bike-in-the-city-Stock-Photo-fashion.jpg

Beard - check
Backpack - check
Flamboyantly colored Chuck Taylors - check
Bike - check
Douchey hat - check

Yep...he's a city dweller.
Actual Costco shoppers:
070226_Costco_returns_hmedium_3p.grid-6x2.jpg

li-us-consumer-620-cp950781.jpg

MW-DF461_COST_s_20150212131408_ZH.jpg

2981699600_07fc6fffc8.jpg

I'm normally in Jacksonville but have been in the New Orleans Costco a couple of times recently and they periodically have a USDA Prime meat case similar to their seafood roadshow. They sell individual steaks like tomahawk ribeyes and other cuts not normally carried in the meat case. Plus, they are individual steaks and you don't have to buy the "three nice ones, one crappy one" prepackaged meat. Haven't seen that in Jax yet.

It is quite the phenomenon. You put a $120 membership on Walmart, market the f out of it, and suddenly it's 2 pages+ every f'n time. And most posters here try act like they are better than the pleebs of the world, but when it comes to pounds of processed meats wrapped in saran wrap and jugs of cheap vodka, all washed down with a fountain drink and a day old slice of pizza (for a $1.50! omfg!), they can't quite hide the tent in their pants. I find it all quite fascinating. A case study of Costco's marketing strategy would be an interesting read. That team must be brilliant to gull upper middle class white guys into their 'value-add' around quality.

Reactions: 89nole and MIKE_G
It is quite the phenomenon. You put a $120 membership on Walmart, market the f out of it, and suddenly it's 2 pages+ every f'n time. And most posters here try act like they are better than the pleebs of the world, but when it comes to pounds of processed meats wrapped in saran wrap and jugs of cheap vodka, all washed down with a fountain drink and a day old slice of pizza (for a $1.50! omfg!), they can't quite hide the tent in their pants. I find it all quite fascinating. A case study of Costco's marketing strategy would be an interesting read. That team must be brilliant to gull upper middle class white guys into their 'value-add' around quality.
Trip is on a roll! :Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy:Face with Tears of Joy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT