ADVERTISEMENT

Daylight savings

That kind of crime happens in the hours of darkness. It doesn't care what time that is.
Most serious crimes take place at night (Murder, rape, DUI, robberies and assaults) but as the severity of the crime goes down so do the percentage of them taking place at night. Crimes like drug offenses, simple assault ect take place more during daylight hours but its not a significant difference. Most juveniles commit crimes in the late afternoon versus at night. The article was from 2019 but I couldn't link.

No friend, it's not exaggerated at all haha. It's very proven and it happens across a wide variety of species. Well documented. Pretty close to indisputable, in fact.

I'm personally a fan of the longer days we see in summer so I would prefer that.
For now I will take your word for it. My personal observation is that the people who struggle to sleep at night do so because they sleep during the day. I know a lot of people who claim insomnia and they simply have terrible sleep habits. I also cannot reconcile the evil of Day Light Saving time when much of the world goes from 12 hours of sunlight to 17 hours of sunlight simply due to geography. If daylight savings time causes so much problems places like London should have significantly more problems than we do. Give me daylight in the afternoon. It is dark for the same number of hours no matter what time it is. I agree that sleep impacts health but I bet in many instances countries with much more daylight than us have better markers in several of the health areas you attribute to sleep. In England summer days are 17 hours long but they probably have less cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity than we do.

Reactions: Dhersh
Is this fact, or your opinion? It seems reasonable. Just curious if studies have been done here.
It is a fact, but I'm too lazy to look it up. This was documented several years ago and not necessarily recently.

Reactions: mjpwooo
You would be surprised how much that small shift twice a year can make a large difference on overall health. Especially when added over the span of a lifetime can lead to chemical imbalances for effectively half your life.

I urge you to reread comment #8 and see the issues many experience that can be helped by sticking to one standard time. For instance, our bodies go through a biological process called the sleep-wake cycle, and long term disruption to this cycle can be problematic. Everyone understands this, its why people have used CPAP machines for decades and why we all value the quality of our sleep. Cortisol is a hormone in the human body and is one of a few hormones involved in the sleep-wake cycle. Cortisol is released with a diurnal (circadian) cycle and its release is also increased in response to stress and low blood-glucose concentration. Thing is, increased cortisol levels can have many health risks associated with it which makes sense considering it is the stress hormone. It is not something you want your body releasing outside of its intended uses, one of those being a release roughly one hour before waking up as the body prepares itself during the sleep-wake cycle. If you are already awake when your body's biological clock is ready to do its thing and release cortisol, it will not have its intended effect, and could instead take a toll on our bodies over the span of a lifetime. I hope this helps clear up why time shifts have a more significant effect than you realize.
I agree that the changing the clocks twice a year has a negative effect on health. I just want the permanent time to be daylight savings time. I get up at 4AM. It is dark then regardless of what time we are on. I just want to have some daylight left when I get home.

Interesting that permanent DST would mean the December sun would rise over Tallahassee between 8:30 and 9.

dcovuadjw0o81.jpg

Reactions: Dhersh
Is this fact, or your opinion? It seems reasonable. Just curious if studies have been done here.
enddaylightsavingtime. org/daylight-saving-time

Although its true it ends up being the same time in hours of darkness; it would let sunlight squeeze the window so to speak during the window/context of the "prime time" crimes and accidents (i.e. 8pm - 2am).
Example, there would be more crimes in the 8pm-2am slot than the 2-8am slot.
So although there's still the same number of hours of darkness; that one hour lowers crime in the 8pm-2am slot; as the 2-8am slot becomes less relevant anyway; in where most people are sleeping during that time or are listening to Journey's Greatest Hits! Hope that makes some sense.

I would as well. Kids should never have to go to school in the dark. And don't get me started about mid summer when it's going to be tough putting the little kids to bed at 8.... "Mommy, Daddy, why do I have to go to bed?? The sun is still out!!"
Kids should should be driven or walked through underground tunnels to get to school and back, so no need for daylight. Plus they get home early enough that it is still light out, while us working adults that pay for all the things kids have come home to darkness and no outdoor fun. Kids do not get a say in anything, and if I tell them to go to bed at 8pm and it's still light out, tough $***!

Kids should should be driven or walked through underground tunnels to get to school and back, so no need for daylight. Plus they get home early enough that it is still light out, while us working adults that pay for all the things kids have come home to darkness and no outdoor fun. Kids do not get a say in anything, and if I tell them to go to bed at 8pm and it's still light out, tough $***!
^^^^Someone is going to live in soiled diapers in his later years. 😀

Would prefer standard... I'm a morning person and early sunrises are preferable
I get up at 4AM and it is dark then regardless of whether you are a morning person or not. I would think most morning people prefer DLS. The benefit of standard time is you wake up to sunlight. In other words you miss sunrise.

I am in favor of ending the time change, regardless of whether it is standard time or daylight savings time.

I also wish Florida was all in one time zone but that is sacrilege in the Panhandle counties west of the river. The original bill to end the time change in Florida had language to move the western counties to Eastern time, but there was huge push back and those provisions were removed from the bill.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT