ADVERTISEMENT

Do you spank your kids?

Do you beat your kids?

• Yes I beat them like redheaded stepchildren...

Votes: 15 45.5%
  • No, they are precious little angels....

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • I used to, but now they will whip my old butt....

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
Sarcasm, I read it as if spanking doesn't work don't spank. Or spank harder either way. FTR, we have not hit our kids, doesn't work for them. Losing technology or outside time is the punishment they hate.

Yeah, that is definitely the route we go as well. But there have been times that still didn't do it.

The 8 year old is done with his spankings. Gives him too much anxiety. He doesn't know this though, but the thought of him receiving one exist...winning!

Yes I did, but I think every parent has a moment when they wish they didn't. It will haunt them for the rest of their life. This particularly applies to the oldest child who when young does something innocent and you give them a swat on the butt. Like splashing water out of the bathtub every night when you continually tell them not too... After several nights I pulled him out of the tub and gave him a swat.

I never got out the belt, but there were a few spankings. My youngest has had none, but he is the most compliant.

One of the funniest stories was my daughter who is very strong willed and who had a stuffed animal rabbit called "Lala". She used to play a game about three years old at bed time to get out of bed. "I need to go to the bathroom"..."I need a drink of water"...." I need to tell you something"....the bedtime ritual would last an hour. My wife and I were watching TV and I told her that if she came out of her room again she would get a spanking. She came out...and I gave her a couple of butt swats and told here to get back to bed. 15 minutes she came out again, and I gave her a few butt swats and sent her back to bed. She came out again, and I realized my methods weren't working, and I could beat the crap out of her and she wouldn't care. I told her that I was taking "Lala" for the night and leaving her on the kitchen table. She went ballistic and went back to bed. 15 minutes later, she came out of her room with tears and snot streaming down her face, fists balled up and head forward and yelled "I am taking Lala back!".

It was all my wife and I could do to keep from bursting out laughing. I told her she was not taking "Lala" back and for punishment for coming out of her room again, I took another of her stuffed animals for the night.

Find the right motivation, preferably not swats.

We never had a problem with bedtime after that.

Reactions: BelemNole
Spankings taught me fear not respect. Do wrong and you will feel pain. I got to a point where right and wrong were separated by fear and pain. I also didn't have a good relationship with my father for a long time. It wasn't until he was dying of cancer that we really started to get along. I don't have a problem with spankings mind you. I just don't think they should be used as a first resort. Teach your kids why what they did was wrong and don't teach them to have an unhealthy fear of you.

Spankings taught me fear not respect. Do wrong and you will feel pain. I got to a point where right and wrong were separated by fear and pain. I also didn't have a good relationship with my father for a long time. It wasn't until he was dying of cancer that we really started to get along. I don't have a problem with spankings mind you. I just don't think they should be used as a first resort. Teach your kids why what they did was wrong and don't teach them to have an unhealthy fear of you.

Like any other form of discipline, spanking has to be used in only appropriate situations and after other forms of discipline and explanation have failed. For example, oldest girl, while riding bike or scooter on sidewalk, sees person walking dog on other side of street. She jumps off bike and starts to run across street. We are literally within 20 feet of her the entire time. That is a "don't" or "die" situation. Spanked. Never happened again. Or trying to ride our 20 lb cat. None of my kids feared me, but knew when a line was drawn, stay away from the line and all is well.

I'm not fundamentally opposed to it, but in the case of my kids...it just wasn't very effective. The amount of pain required to actually effect behavioral change is beyond where I was willing to go. I tried more spanking with my oldest, but found it kind of disturbing fairly early.

What did work however, was the THREAT of violence. We did have a wooden spoon handy to brandish in times of need, and that did get real compliance, even though we never really used it. We did take a couple "swing and a miss", but that's about it. But we grabbed it pretty frequently.

But also, public shaming. The most effective for our kids was public shaming...far more than any corporal punishment I could inflict.

In my opinion and experience, it's a losing proposition long term. I would only use it for kids who do dangerous life threatening things, like grabbing a pot of water off the stove, or running into the street, or running away from parents in a crowd, AND are too young to understand other forms of punishment.

If your 3 year old is running into the street, I think there are times when you might have to give them a real spanking, with real pain, to make that connection. To me, that's the kind of thing you might do once or twice at most, or maybe never, in their childhood.

Reactions: BelemNole
What I would do, if I were dealing with this particular issue, is go to the store and buy the largest size diaper (not training pants) and take away his underwear. Make him start wearing a diaper again, maybe even a diaper without pants. See how that goes over.

You did it right imo and suspect the kid will not pull that move again. Trying some form of latent mental embarrassment post event is just weird imo.

What I would do, if I were dealing with this particular issue, is go to the store and buy the largest size diaper (not training pants) and take away his underwear. Make him start wearing a diaper again, maybe even a diaper without pants. See how that goes over.

If you go this route, you can't punish him if he tries to start breastfeeding again.

Reactions: BarryB1081
fat_guy_in_diapers.jpg

Reactions: BarryB1081
My son (5), for the most part is well behaved. At school, he is usually at the top level colors (never in the problematic ones) and his report cards have lots of positive feedback regarding behavior (same with his after school program). He has a rebellious streak and definitely does not like to listen all of the time and he has a tendency to try to negotiate or redo bad events or consequences. He will push something until a consequence happens and then completely melt down. What we try to do is use positive reinforcement more often than not. He responds well to it. Likes to be a “good boy.” When he has bad behavior, it is basically not listening the first time. Ask him to come inside. . . nothing. Tell him to go to the bathroom to take a shower. . . nothing. Get your clothes on. . . nothing. This sort of behavior was evident very young. At his day care, if someone was doing something wrong or that admin wouldn’t have thought of, he was leading it. He is very hard headed. As far as aversive stimuli that produces results, we take away, or he does not earn, TV time (we do a 22 minute cartoon in the evenings where we all sit and watch it together when he has a really good day, which is most days). If he is not listening and playing with a specific toy (e.g., time for dinner, doesn’t stop playing), we take away the toy in question and he has to earn it back. This used to result in him blocking doorways to prevent us from putting it away or grabbing chairs to climb on to get the toy back. Our solution to that was take more toys. That behavior has stopped. We don’t hit him. I don’t think I want to teach him that hitting is a good solution. We try to use words. For us, a negative to that, are his attempts to negotiate when we don’t want him to negotiate.

My daughter (1), has a completely different disposition. Don't know how she'll turn out. But, she is far less likely to cry/scream than our son was. Much "easier" baby.

If you go this route, you can't punish him if he tries to start breastfeeding again.

Yep, it's totally possible it goes over just great with him. Then I've got no answer at all. If he likes being back in a diaper, then you're screwed.

Something like that, not having to wear a diaper again but something with a similar embarrassment quotient, ended my son wetting his pants instantly. He wasn't doing it belligerently, but he would hold it because he didn't want to stop what he was doing, until it was too late.

My mom stopped whipping me around 2nd grade. My dad whipped my ass until about 12. After that age he told me I was too big for a belt, he said, " If you want to show your ass like a grown man, u are going to fight me like one. One man run this house and since I pay for this one I run it." I am about to have my first child and it time for some payback, I would suggest she mind her parents.

My mom stopped whipping me around 2nd grade. My dad whipped my ass until about 12. After that age he told me I was too big for a belt, he said, " If you want to show your ass like a grown man, u are going to fight me like one. One man run this house and since I pay for this one I run it." I am about to have my first child and it time for some payback, I would suggest she mind her parents.

Same here. We found that if my wife and I took turns doing the whipping, and did it randomly, our kid didn't know what to expect and it kept him on his toes. It's important not to coddle them.

Your dad sounds like the trailer trash antagonist from a poorly written coming of age movie.

Have never spanked/slapped my kids. They are seven now. I have grabbed or squeezed a little harder on the arm for emphasis a few times, particularly with one who is the more strong-willed type. I usually felt awful afterwards, because I realized I was letting my anger out on him in the heat of the moment. Either I'm just lucky that I haven't felt the need to use corporal punishment, or the approach my wife and I have taken has been the correct one.

Your dad sounds like the trailer trash antagonist from a poorly written coming of age movie.

No I think how my parents raised me made me the person I am, and I honestly wouldn't change any of it. Its not like I was abused, but there were clear consequences for not making good grades or not listening to my parents in their house. If I did what I was supposed to do I got most anything I could want as a child. If I didn't I got my ass kicked and didn't get toys/fun/etc. Pretty much like the real world.

No, rarely if ever. Coming from a dad who used to get slapped in the face, ear pulled and hit with my dad's belt when I was a kid. Ouch! I deserved it but think there is better ways to discipline kids. Each to their own.

My wife would spank them more when they were younger but not anymore...

Nope. Never. She's now 27 and always feared letting us down because we had mutual respect. When she did slip we disciplined without us ever taking out our frustrations on her. She's made it very clear she will do the same with her kids.

Reactions: phillienole
I didnt vote. I had girls, if I had a boy and he was like me I would have probably beat his ass. Ass beatings was the only thing that kept me from getting in trouble when I was a kid

I spanked my two girls 3 times each, my son once. The girls were far more strong-willed as youngsters.

Nope. Never. She's now 27 and always feared letting us down because we had mutual respect. When she did slip we disciplined without us ever taking out our frustrations on her. She's made it very clear she will do the same with her kids.

That's great. My kids failed to demonstrate mutual respect when they were trying to run into the street when they were 4; trying to ride our poor tabby cat at 3; and going to a neighborhood friend's house without telling us when she was 6. All examples where they were warned repeatedly and other forms of correction failed. All are imminent safety issues, and were never repeated after spankings.

This is really confusing, who exactly is going to get "some payback"? Your unborn child?

No I think how my parents raised me made me the person I am, and I honestly wouldn't change any of it. Its not like I was abused, but there were clear consequences for not making good grades or not listening to my parents in their house. If I did what I was supposed to do I got most anything I could want as a child. If I didn't I got my ass kicked and didn't get toys/fun/etc. Pretty much like the real world.

And "the person you are" is anxiously awaiting the birth of his first child...so he can beat her.

Sounds like they did a bang up job!

You guys are hysterical. Some parents spank their kids some don't. You do what you feel is necessary to raise YOUR own children.

I have a 5 and a 3 year old. I have spanked my 5 year old. I use it as a last resort. All kids are different though. My 5 year old is VERY stubborn and strong-willed. Also very, very smart. Sometimes there really isn't anything left to do but threaten to spank and then actually spank if he intentionally disobeys.

My 3 year old will cry if I just raise my voice, so it hasn't even gotten close to a situation where I would even consider spanking him.

I was spanked as a child, and I consider it a tool to use to correct/model the behavior of a young child. I am all for having mutual respect and reasoning things out with my young kids, but at some point, they just simply need to listen and do what they are told to do. The tail will not wag the dog in my house. Just like in society, there are rules and there are consequences if the rules are broken. Continue to break them intentionally, and the consequences will get more severe. Like I said though, spanking is a last resort. My wife and I will first go to taking away toys and time-outs.

We have found that positive reinforcement works best though. We use a behavior chart in our house for our oldest child. He doesn't have to be perfect, but if he has enough good days at the end of the week, we will reward him with an ice cream or something. Makes him feel good about himself and usually keeps him actively trying to behave rather than just looking to avoid trouble.

You guys are hysterical. Some parents spank their kids some don't. You do what you feel is necessary to raise YOUR own children.

Yeah, that's not the issue. I've spanked my kid and I still find your comment about payback to be bizarre. Unless you believe your child will be the reincarnation of your parent - then it makes a kind of sense.

Yeah, that's not the issue. I've spanked my kid and I still find your comment about payback to be bizarre. Unless you believe your child will be the reincarnation of your parent - then it makes a kind of sense.

It was a bit of sarcasm I don't think anyone takes delight in having to spank their kid.

Funny that today is my first time back in the LR since I responded to this thread a week or so ago. Since then my little turd has decided that proper decorum in school is for kids not named him, and cannot seem to keep his hands to himself (funny enough he has taken to "spanking" other kids at school). My wife and I have tried a few things to get to understand, from taking toys, to running laps around the house, to a bar of soap in the mouth, but I have withheld spanking and that may end tonight. I am tossing around the idea of just giving him the silent treatment/ignoring him. I know he does most of what he does as attention seeking behavior, so maybe taking away the attention will help.

Also I think I am going to write a note to his teacher and tell her to sit him out of recess for the next couple of days, and seeing as how my wife works at the school I may have her reinforce this with having him sit outside her classroom in the morning while the other kids play. The next step, if this continues, is to get the principal involved (he is a college friend of my wife's and has 4 of his own) mainly because of the spanking thing. In this day an age it takes one parent to get upset and he would be kicked out of school for "sexual harassment", it is a point I have tried to make to him but falls on deaf ears apparently.

I might have whacked both my sons on the butt a total of 2 or 3 times in their lives.

If I had to regularly beat my sons to make them behave or do what was necessary then I failed as
a father.

Reactions: RunRonnieRun
Public shaming can be worse than a spanking that may be quickly forgotten. Shame can be a burden carried for a lifetime. I don't know the situation, so I can't comment. However if you wouldn't shame your wife in public or your employee in public, then why shame your kids in public unless they committed a public offense.

Your kids need to know that you are their biggest fan and supporter regardless of their actions. This does not mean that "Every child gets a trophy". You want them to be able to come to you when the crap hits the fan in their life. For a rebellious child like I was, this would not have been effective, but my mom said stuff to me outside the bounds of my behavior. Go after the behavior and not the child.

I found the "Spock Grip" particularly effective when my kids were acting up. That and a firm whisper in the ear.

On the flip side, you also need to pay attention to the compliant child who is a people pleaser. At heart, they may be rebellious, hold things deep down, never tell anybody and stew in anger. On the other hand, they may get ignored because they don't cause problems. They still need the same love and attention and affirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the soap in mouth thing. That's very aversive/mean

Like anything else, it is about usage and timing. It is not a "go to" punishment, but it is in the group to be selected from. Also like anything else, it has diminishing returns.

But as to it being aversive, that is the whole point. To make the kid stop and think about his behavior so as to avoid that punishment in the future. The reverse is also true, to make the kid stop and think about his behavior so that he makes a better choice and behaves properly in the setting. That positive choice is reinforced as well, but the OP did not come in here looking for ways to positively reinforce his kid pissing on the rug, he wanted to figure out a punishment. This is not a carrot OR stick world, it is a carrot AND stick. They are two sides of the same coin, and must each be used in appropriate scope and in moderation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT