ADVERTISEMENT

Dukes of Hazzard Dropped by TV Land

Meh, it was a California packaged product anyway. Filmed just outside of LA.

And what's with the door open behind Daisy? I thought those things were welded shut!

Does the PGA Tour ask Bubba Watson to ditch his General Lee??

Sign of the times.... and the changing of the good 'ol USA continues.

I know this is kind of off topic and I'm not doubting this story at all but does anyone else think social media has basically made being able to trust any source at all anymore nearly impossible.
Between conflicting reports and spinning any news item in any way it's nearly impossible to know what is true anymore. I can give a perfect example, but knowing the rules of the board..... lets just say friend A (lets call him lefty) posts on FB how much ACA has been helping people. Yet friend B (hmm-- righty would fit) posts how ACA is killing the middle class and helps no one. Both have wonderful links proving their cases .... who the heck knows what to believe anymore.

Reactions: ericram and Bartdog
It's pretty sad, ridiculous and borderline frightening on how a mentally unstable white punk that killed a group of black people,has now turned into a big witchhunt on everything and anything with the confederate flag on it.
I really got a kick out of Walmart refusing to make a cake with the confederate flag on it but yet made an ISIS flag cake.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
It's pretty sad, ridiculous and borderline frightening on how a mentally unstable white punk that killed a group of black people,has now turned into a big witchhunt on everything and anything with the confederate flag on it.
I really got a kick out of Walmart refusing to make a cake with the confederate flag on it but yet made an ISIS flag cake.

Isis doesn't discriminate. They hate all Americans equally and want them all dead. :)

That's because your average Walmart cake maker knows what a rebel glad looks like but doesn't read Arabic.

That's because your average Walmart cake maker knows what a rebel glad looks like but doesn't read Arabic.

Do they?

Flag_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America_%281861-1863%29.svg

Only problem I really have with businesses like Walmart, TVLand, Amazon, etc removing the CBF is that I doubt they're doing it for the right reason. Same thing with Trump; don't act like you just now figured out these things are offensive at best, and racist at worst.

But in spite of that, I'm glad to see it being purged from our society, we will ultimately be better off without it.

I know the detractors think this doesn't help anything, and the CBF didn't murder anyone; but what's ironic is that some of those same people would also preach about how important it is to know one's history. That's ironic, because only someone who doesn't know history would argue there's nothing wrong with the CBF.

If we remove the CBF and other confederate memorials from our landscape (some of which sponsored and/or paid for in part by the KKK), and start teaching history accurately and completely, maybe we'll start to be able to purge those from our society who still grasp onto the ideals that those images and memorials glorify? Maybe white washing and/or revising history is a deep root of the overall problem with race in America? When we are ignorant of the past and reminisce as though 'those were the days' it allows the injustices of 'those days' to continue to be more acceptable today which allows for people to try and bring us back to 'those days.'

Overheard someone at work Monday lamenting about Greece and the various SCOTUS decisions saying "I really feel sorry for my grandchildren, they'll never really know what freedom is like... at least I was able to live through some real freedom in the 50s and 60s."

Reactions: smurfdaddy
Only problem I really have with businesses like Walmart, TVLand, Amazon, etc removing the CBF is that I doubt they're doing it for the right reason. Same thing with Trump; don't act like you just now figured out these things are offensive at best, and racist at worst.

I get what you're saying, tommy and I agree to a point, but even then where does the purging end? It seems these days EVERYONE is offended about something. The reality is most people are just as offended today as they were in the "50's and 60's", but now they have a voice.

Take the Dukes of Hazard. We're going to pull a show off the air that was about as clean as a show could be. The only controversial thing to come out of Hazard was the length of Daisy's shorts, but somehow it's tied to some whack job killing people 30 years after its airing? Am I to assume this kid caught a couple of re-runs and it somehow inspired him to kill a church filled with African Americans? Of course not, but that's the only conclusion I can draw by its sudden removal from the airwaves. I grew up loving that show and guess what, there isn't a single racist cell in my body.

I'm tired of external "things" being attributed to the actions of individuals...it erases accountability. Video games, guns, flags, et al don't kill people.

David saw Bathsheba bathing, lusted after her to the point he killed his close friend Uriah to make her is. Israel should have banned bathtubs. ;)

(p.s., please don't read the tone of my post as combative...I honestly take these things in stride...just expressing thoughts, brother.)

It's not sudden at all. People have been protesting this type of symbology for ages now. Hence the need for jackwagons wearing "If you find this flag offensive get a history lesson" t-shirts. Guess what, dumass? America got a history lesson and you turned out on the wrong side.
I bet the corporations were tired of having to deal with negativity for selling this crap and were ready to be done with it. Now they're simply jumping on the bandwagon since it became less acceptable in polite society.
That being said I don't understand TV Land's decision. They could've digitally blurred the flag if they wanted to. Maybe they wanted to do this anyway?

Reactions: tommynole3476
I didn't watch the show, I must admit I did watch the movie remake, but I doubt that there is anything overtly racist or offensive in the original show.

There is a negative to the show though, that I think people are underestimating. The Duke boys were just a couple of mischievous kids right? But they were proud southerners too right? Painting the stars and bars on their car, and just getting into trouble, but never meaning no harm. That's the negative, that's the rub. This show aids in whitewashing the racist and white supremacist nature of the CBF. Do I think the creators of the show intended that to be the case though? Probably not.

The show's creators are probably just like millions of other Americans who grew up thinking that the CBF and anyone who flew it were just some good ole boys expressing their southern pride. Which is part of the problem whenever we deal with race in America.

This is a really, really good article relevant to the debate, I even learned something from it; for example, the Confederate states weren't fighting for states' rights, but rather against them. http://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...numents-are-wrong/?postshare=3641435760958475

I don't think anyone is trying to lessen Roof's accountability by purging the CBF though. Roof will be held accountable and nothing done with the CBF will change that. That is a bit of a red-herring argument when things like this happen. When these things happen, people try to understand why they happened, and then try to evaluate if there is something we can change to prevent something like this from happening again. It has little to do with lessening the accountability of the aggressor (although something similar to that is done, just not in the way you're describing, but only when the perp is, yanno...).

Maybe they've been looking for a reason to pull the show anyway?

But why does a TV show need to be pulled at all? Doesn't Son's of Anarchy paint a similar picture, but with significantly more violence? Which one (if forced to choose) would you let your children watch?

I understand the removal of the flag from government land (similar to the Nativity); however, pulling the Dukes of Hazard is extreme overboard IMO. Again, I have to ask, where does it end? Why don't we pull the provocative Victoria Secret adds and window displays as it glorifies a sexually-driven culture that contributes to sexual assault...or films like Jack A$$ and wrestling; I'm sure our nations ER facilities would appreciate that move. My point is not what the flag represents, or better yet, what free individuals choose for it represent, but our society's propensity to blame-shift.

People have been committing atrocious acts against one another for thousands of years and I don't recall anyone needing a violent video game, controversial TV show, or racist flag to do so.

Why don't we pull the provocative Victoria Secret adds and window displays as it glorifies a sexually-driven culture that contributes to sexual assault...or films like Jack A$$ and wrestling

Actually you may have it backwards, the notion that scantily clad women on TV lead to sexual crimes against women is the #1 indicator of rape culture. In countries with less of a rape culture they have no problems showing scantily clad women in public media.

I really think you're conflating different things Alaskan.

There is a very big difference between the debate over what is decent, or too violent, etc in TV, Movies, Music, etc, and the CBF and confederate memorials/monuments.

I want to believe you're being genuine, but comparing violent video games and the CBF is starting to get on my nerves a bit.

It feels like you think racism is no worse than violent video games or sexy TV.

If you want to debate the impact of violent video games, music, whatever on society, start a different thread and I'll gladly have that debate, heck, it seems like we'll probably agree on many points; but the debate on the impact of allowing racism to persist under the guise of the CBF has nothing to do with that.

There was a post on FB I saw that was shared about the confederate flag issue that I agreed with very much:

I’m a Southerner. I’m a civil rights lawyer. I’ve stayed out of this fray and, to be honest, I’m really tired of the whole media frenzy. With that said–taking out soapbox...pontificating....

The media did not get what it wanted from the South as a result of the Charleston tragedy. The good people of Charleston did not riot, did not engage in hateful shenanigans and did not provide the racist fueled fodder for their 24 hour-a-day headlines. Poor, poor media–no Ferguson, no Trayvon Martin, no Oscar Grants. Instead, the good people of Charleston and of South Carolina unified and came together–all races, all creeds. They marched hand in hand to pay respect to the poor souls lost and to strengthen their community. In short–they did what Southerners do. They put their faith forward and did the right thing ‘cause their mommas raised them right.

So, what are they left to do? Well, the Confederate flag seems like a fine substitute–and it worked. Now, don’t get me wrong; I don’t think the Confederate flag has any place flying over any governmental building for several reasons: (1) the Confederacy was a briefly lived nation–they lost the war–they don’t exist anymore...hello??? (2) the only flags that should fly over any governmental buildings in the United States are those of the United States and the sovereign State itself, let alone that of a defunct government (see No. 1); and (3) regardless of what an individual’s intention is regarding the Confederate flag, it is a symbol of governmental oppression to many in this nation as recently as only 1-2 generations ago so a present day governmental unit flying it is...well...not good. Period.

But (you knew there would be a “but,” right?), if an individual wants to own, fly, wear, burn, or otherwise have emblazoned on them a tattoo of the Confederate flag then Hell–knock yourself out. It’s not my place (or anyone else’s) to tell you that you can’t do that. Are all people who display or own a Confederate flag racist? No. Are there racists who display and own Confederate flags. Yes. Can it be offensive? Yes. Does that mean that all Confederate flags are to be banned or wiped out? Well, of course not. This is America...remember?

And get this–once again, the South did not give the media machine what it wanted. South Carolina removed the flag, followed almost immediately by Alabama....ALABAMA, people! But are the media mongers gushing over the progressive character of these moves...no. Now they are calling for the removal of the flag from the General Lee....dude, it’s the Dukes of Hazzard...a show that stopped running, oh, THIRTY years ago. Ok...whatever. But then they are calling for historical monuments related to the Civil War to be removed. This is called rewriting history. This is bad....ask Ray Bradbury (and if you don’t know what I’m talking about read Fahrenheit 451). I won’t even launch into that, but you get my gist. Should the Lincoln Memorial be destroyed? Should the hundreds of Civil War monuments spread across this nation honoring the tens of thousand who died (on both sides) be eradicated? Of course not.

Look, there are plenty of things that people do and that are part of the mainstream American life that offend me to my core (Kardashians, anyone?) but that doesn’t mean they should be obliterated. I find it personally reprehensible and offensive to my very being when I see people burn the American flag, stomp on the American flag, rip up the American flag, toss the American flag in the garbage, or even wear it in some version of cut off shorts barely covering their hoo-ha. But, do they have a right to do all of those things? Yes. Does every person who owns or reads a Quran follow extreme Islam and plot the death of all Infidels (that’s you and me, by the way...)? No. Are there Islamic extremists who do plot and carry out the death to all Infidels who own and read the Quran? You betcha’. Again, does that mean that all vestiges of Islam should be eradicated from the United States. Um, no. There are plenty of music lyrics (rap, metal and pop) that as a woman I find personally degrading, threatening and flat out inhuman misogyny. Do I think that every single person that listens to this music, owns it or blares it at 11 million decibels in traffic treats all women as subhuman or wants to rape, kill and murder me? No. Are there some people out there who do view women as subhuman who listen to this stuff? Sure. Again, does that mean it should all be banned, the musicians locked away and all vestiges of their existence erased? Please.

So, as you are jumping on the current media-hyped-frenzied band wagon just stop and think...for yourself. For like a second. Use some common sense. Don’t be a cog in the machine and help them create an even bigger division in this nation than they already have.

If that guy doesn't understand THE VAST, HUMONGOUS DIFFERENCE between Charleston and Ferguson/Baltimore, re: rioting, I'm not going to continue reading the rest of his nonsense.

I can't possibly believe a "civil rights lawyer" is that freaking stupid.

I really think you're conflating different things Alaskan.

That's possible, but it certainly isn't my intention...these things "feel" similar. Something happened; therefore, lets blame something rather than someone. I think the blog West Duval Nole posted summed up what I'm feeling quite perfectly (regarding the flag not Ferguson).

In fact, it appears he and I think similarly (If he agrees with the blog he posted). I could go out on a limb and propose that he and I are likely conservatives in our hearts and homes, BUT not in the "voting booth"...i.e. we don't impose our beliefs on others as morality can't be regulated.

I have a diecast General Lee in my office as well as a Superman statue of Christoper Reeve and an original Star Wars movie poster. They are part of my childhood. Superman doesn't make me think I can fly, Star Wars doesn't make me believe in the Force and the Flag emblazoned on the roof of the General Lee doesn't make me a racist.

Lastly, I agree on all points that the flag should be removed from all government buildings...the American Flag is the only flag that should fly there.

Last edited:
Reactions: cbailey284
If that guy doesn't understand THE VAST, HUMONGOUS DIFFERENCE between Charleston and Ferguson/Baltimore, re: rioting, I'm not going to continue reading the rest of his nonsense.

No need to get ugly, tommy. We're all friends here and often times its hard to communicate what we're thinking, feeling in written form. You're not a racist. I'm not a racist. You don't have ill intent towards me (or your fellow man) and neither do I or West Duval Nole.

From what I've seen you're a good guy and a solid poster...don't let these types of topics change that fact. :)

Interesting that you assumed it was a guy. Nope. It was a lady named Temple Trueblood. Does that make you a sexist? You saw lawyer and assumed male. Hmmmm. Just poking at ya. I don't think you are. :D

And I believe the correlation she is drawing is the news media does what it needs to keep headlines and people attracted to it. And it sure seems like they will get more viewers for negative news rather than positive news which is why most news seems to cover a majority of bad and a minority of good.

No need to get ugly, tommy. We're all friends here and often times its hard to communicate what we're thinking, feeling in written form. You're not a racist. I'm not a racist. You don't have ill intent towards me (or your fellow man) and neither do I or West Duval Nole.

From what I've seen you're a good guy and a solid poster...don't let these types of topics change that fact. :)
I made certain to refer to the person who wrote the stupidity, stupid, not WDN. As he didn't write it.

...the news media does what it needs to keep headlines and people attracted to it. And it sure seems like they will get more viewers for negative news rather than positive news which is why most news seems to cover a majority of bad and a minority of good.

Look no further than the Jameis Winston media frenzy for proof.

Last edited:
Interesting that you assumed it was a guy. Nope. It was a lady named Temple Trueblood. Does that make you a sexist? You saw lawyer and assumed male. Hmmmm. Just poking at ya. I don't think you are. :D

And I believe the correlation she is drawing is the news media does what it needs to keep headlines and people attracted to it. And it sure seems like they will get more viewers for negative news rather than positive news which is why most news seems to cover a majority of bad and a minority of good.
Well I didn't read the rest... I'm also assuming they're stupid too, does that mean I'm being prejudiced against men as though only men can be stupid?

The backlash against the CBF didn't start 'because of the media.' Ugh... here we go again with this nonsense.

I am by no means a media apologist, I won't disagree that 'if it bleeds it leads,' and that it is a shame our media focuses on the negative (but the reason for that isn't what you think); but to use that fact as an argument against removing racist symbols from our society is, well, stupid.

Comparing the rioting/protesting in Ferguson/Baltimore to the lack of it in Charleston, shows a fundamental lack of understanding and empathy. Thing is, it's really not that hard to understand that difference either, so it makes me question the intelligence and/or motives of those that don't.

That's possible, but it certainly isn't my intention...these things "feel" similar. Something happened; therefore, lets blame something rather than someone. I think the blog West Duval Nole posted summed up what I'm feeling quite perfectly (regarding the flag not Ferguson).

In fact, it appears he and I think similarly (If he agrees with the blog he posted). I could go out on a limb and propose that he and I are likely conservatives in our hearts and homes, BUT not in the "voting booth"...i.e. we don't impose our beliefs on others as morality can't be regulated.

I have a diecast General Lee in my office as well as a Superman statue of Christoper Reeve and an original Star Wars movie poster. They are part of my childhood. Superman doesn't make me think I can fly, Star Wars doesn't make me believe in the Force and the Flag emblazoned on the roof of the General Lee doesn't make me a racist.

Lastly, I agree on all points that the flag should be removed from all government buildings...the American Flag is the only flag that should fly there.
I'd just like to point out the CFB in South Carolina does not fly over the state house. It was moved to a nearby memorial years ago. I sincerely hope it remains there. I've already made my feelings known and they should be obvious anyway, so I'm not even going to adress Tommy's post.

Bingo. It's PC lunacy taken to new extremes. Where does it end? Will historical Ole Miss football games or NASCAR footage never again be shown, or will they simply add "blue dots" to cover the confederate flags flying in the background?

Just seems like a roll-call where every business or enterprise needs to "confirm" through some silly gesture that they are not bigots or racists. Meanwhile, what these businesses really do outside the visibility of the public remains totally unchanged. It's all a stunt. Sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT