ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Rewind #8 - Adrian McPherson!

FAKEWillieTaggert

Veteran Seminole Insider
Feb 1, 2018
Tallahassee, FL
Buckle up for this edition of FSU Rewind - Adrian McPherson! This was requested by @grumpiebk and @chrismedlock19, and turned out to be one of the more interesting rabbit holes I've been down. We all remember McPherson, but the trip down memory lane is exciting nonetheless, and it has a nice ending, which always pleases me. Seriously, this one is very bizarre and may be a little lengthy, but it's well worth the read. These take quite a bit of time to research and then condense so I'd appreciate it if you'd "smash the like button" if you are interested in seeing more of these Rewinds. Thanks for reading! Without further ado:

Adrian McPherson
mug_mcpherson_adrian.jpg

Background/Recruiting: (6'4, 180LBS) McPherson played high school football at Bradenton Southeast High School in Bradenton, Florida. In high school, McPherson won Mr. Basketball and Mr. Football all in the same year (the first athlete to have awarded both honors in Florida history). He was also named Gatorade Florida Football Player of the season, passing for 3,728 yards and 42 touchdowns and rushing for 765 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior at Southeast. In basketball, he averaged almost a triple-double with 35 points, 10 rebounds, and nine assists in basketball as a senior. He also played for an American Legion baseball team and won a state championship as an outfielder.

McPherson was highly recruited by many schools as a 2-sport athlete (football and basketball). At one point, he was being recruited to Duke by Mike Krzyzewski! "Going into the recruiting process I was looking at schools where I wanted to play both sports, and I just could never picture myself playing football at Duke," McPherson said. McPherson made official visits to Duke, Michigan State, South Florida, North Carolina, Arkansas, and FSU.

Florida State: Adrian McPherson boasted a ton of potential when he joined the Seminoles as an uber-athletic quarterback recruit. McPherson was a budding star when on the field. He had an outstanding arm, and did a great job of avoiding turnovers. When he managed to escape the pocket, McPherson had no trouble using his elite athleticism to hurt defenses with his feet.

In 2001, as a true freshman, McPherson was 18-of-37 (48.65%) for 198 yards and two touchdowns. In 2002, after a 34-24 loss to Notre Dame dropped FSU to 5—3, Bobby Bowden named McPherson his No. 1 QB. Over the next three games, the Seminoles went 3—0 as McPherson threw for 654 yards, eight touchdowns and just one pick. He played with the kind of smooth, clean, effortless power and control that prompted Bowden to say he had as much athletic potential as anyone he'd coached. McPherson was 80-of-155 (51.61%) for 1,017 yards, 12 touchdowns, and one interception that season, putting him at a 14-1 TD/INT for his career. As for basketball, he played in only 3 games on the basketball team, logging 6 total minutes and made 1 three-point shot against Wake Forest. Unfortunately character concerns and off-field issues led to his eventual demise.

No highlight videos of McPherson at FSU, but here is his first TD pass as a freshman in 2001. He has some touch! His full games (including the notorious game against NC State) are available on Youtube.

Departure from FSU: On Nov. 18, two days after McPherson led the Seminoles to a 40-14 win over North Carolina, he and two friends were checking out rims at R&R Truck & Auto Accessories in Tallahassee. McPherson and his friends were invited into the owner's office. Left alone for a moment, McPherson reached over and tore off a blank check from the store's checkbook, which McPherson made out for $3,500 and cashed. To this day, McPherson can't explain his actions. "So many times I've run it through my head." McPherson says. "Afterward I wished I had dreamed the whole thing. But it was too late." A week later, on November 25, 2002, after a 17-7 loss to NC State and prior to the UF game, McPherson was suspended and then dismissed from the team. McPherson admitted to involvement in the theft and forgery of a blank check. Many believe the loss is related to his gambling debts (see below). McPherson blamed some of the backlash on FSU coaching staff, saying: “When you make a mistake, you go to your parents. I feel like, I made a mistake, and I went to my parents away from home, and they kind of just turned their back on me.”

After his suspension from the Seminoles, McPherson transferred to Murray State, in Kentucky, beginning classes in January, but he soon dropped out because Murray State officials would not allow him to play until his legal problems were resolved.

Gambling Accusations: McPherson was accused of throwing the NC State game (FSU lost 17-7) and betting on other FSU football games. According to Florida State police chief Carey Drayton, McPherson bet on every Seminoles' game during the 2001 season, always wagering that they would win. Sources told investigators McPherson bet large amounts and owed a Tallahassee man, identified as Dereck Delach, a total of $8,000. It is suspected that McPherson wrote the $3,500 check to pay off gambling debts. McPherson was charged with misdemeanor gambling, but a hung jury failed to convict McPherson, likely because none of the state's physical evidence, wire transfers, computer records, information from the gambling websites-connected McPherson's name to the bets. A month later, eager to end the ordeal, McPherson pleaded no contest to the theft, forgery and gambling charges. He was sentenced to 90 days of work camp, 30 months' probation and 50 hours of community service, and was ordered to pay more than $4,000 in restitution. TV crews from all over Florida taped the former Mr. Everything picking up trash in prison stripes.

FSU performed an independent investigation of the gambling accusations. The 500-plus-page report - authored by investigators from the FSU Police Department, the Tallahassee Police Department and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. The report showed that in a November interview that authorities did not record, Bowden told investigators that former FSU players in the NFL called him after FSU’s 17-7 loss to North Carolina State on Nov. 23 to say they heard McPherson had thrown the game. Bobby was later interviewed under oath about these calls but said he said he couldn’t remember a specific instance in which a former player made such an accusation against McPherson. “I wish I could,” Bowden told investigators. “I’d give anything if I could just say, `This guy called and said this.′ . . . I guess I’ve had so many calls between now and then.” FSU football player Dominic Robinson, who was a friend of McPherson’s, also testified that McPherson was gambling on FSU games. However, other players said the opposite - "I know him as well as anybody," said Seminole teammate Greg Jones "And he didn't do anything like that." McPherson was, and still is, adamant that he never gambled. There's a lot more to this story (search Google if interested), but I'm trying to keep this somewhat short.

Pro Career: After a rocky departure from FSU, McPherson attempted to enroll at Tennessee State. However, the NCAA blocked the transfer and McPherson decided to abandon his amateur status and play in the AFL. The Indiana Firebirds took a chance on McPherson and it paid off. McPherson went on to become the AFL rookie of the year by throwing 61 touchdowns, rushing for 19 more, and throwing only five interceptions.

McPherson then went to the 2005 NFL combine. While most quarterbacks don't do full workouts at the NFL combine, he did so with enthusiasm. He ran an acceptable 4.69 40, showed off his arm strength during passing drills and ripped off 22 bench-press reps at 225 pounds. Later that spring, the New Orleans Saints saw his potential and drafted him 152nd overall in 2005.

In August of 2005, while warming up prior to a pre-season game against the Tennessee Titans, Titans mascot known as T-RAC (pictured below) maliciously ran over McPherson with an ATV. [Seriously]. McPherson, who was trying to make the Saints' roster as a quarterback and kick returner, suffered a deep bruise on his right knee. He was cut by New Orleans on Sept. 2, 2005. McPherson sued the Titan's for $25 million. While the settlement amount was not disclosed, rumors have it that McPherson settled the lawsuit for ~$20 million dollars.

t-rac.jpg

McPherson returned to football in 2006. He has bounced between ~10 ALF/CFL teams in the last 13 years. He has won 2 Grey Cups in the CFL. I won't go through all of his stats from all teams, but he seems to have done pretty well. He even completed passes to numerous FSU players in the AFL/CFL, including Kenny Shaw. He was signed by the Jacksonville Sharks in April 2018, but was released. It looks like he has hung up his cleats, but pretty crazy that he played professional for 15 years! Some arena highlights below:

Current Status: Now a days, it looks like McPherson is heavily involved in coaching a youth football camp called "Air 5 7 on 7 Elite Football". In McPherson's words: "Air 5 started 2-3 years ago after I saw Kelvin McKnight play at Manatee High School. At that time what bothered me was I felt he should be playing big time college football and I realized that kids weren’t receiving enough exposure in the Bradenton, FL area. I finished my CFL season, came home and said I wanted to figure out how to start my own 7on7 team to help these kids. I mostly take kids from Bradenton. We train them up and give them the tools to be successful in life. Get them the exposure they need to get a free education." He did a camp video last month where he talks about his playing days (still reps FSU as his school):

Additionally, McPherson started the McPherson Foundation in 2015 to provide sports options to local children. His program has grown from 14 students to nearly 100. The goal is taking kids off the streets and putting them onto the football field. Per McPherson: "I just try to tell the kids, 'look I don't care what your situation is, we all know right from wrong,'" he said. "As long as you are a good person making right decisions, work hard, you at least give yourself a chance a life." Good for him.

Noteworthy:
  • One day prior to his dismissal from FSU, McPherson was involved in a one-car accident near Apollo Beach, Fla. He was not seriously injured in the crash after his Ford Expedition blew a tire and flipped several times. McPherson, 19, was wearing his seat belt and was not ejected. He was evaluated at the hospital and released. Rough stretch for Adrian!
  • James Blackman became the first true freshman QB to throw a TD his freshman season since McPherson, who threw 2TD passes in October 20, 2001 v. Virginia. Let's hope Blackman fares better!
  • On the Titan's website, T-Rac (who ran over McPherson) lists drag racing in his motorized chariot as one of his hobbies. And his favorite saying is listed as, 'I didn't do it!'
  • Scored a 26 on Wonderlic (above average)
  • Does his body style remind you of anyone on FSU's current roster...?
Social Media: https://twitter.com/adrianmcphers5?lang=en

_________________________________________________________________________​
UPDATE: Do you think he threw the NC State game on purpose?

Facts that support he did NOT throw the NC State game:
  • NC State was a good team that year. Started 9-0 that year and got up to #10 before losing a couple close ones.
  • They finished with 11 wins, including a 28-6 win over #10 Notre Dame (who had a top ranked offense and had beaten FSU)
  • Their defense was excellent, they held 8 opponents to 14 or less that season.
  • It was McPherson's first game in a hostile environment, FSU always seems to struggle at Carter Finley
  • First real test for McPherson against a good defense. He had beaten poor teams like Wake, UNC, and mediocre GT. None of them had a good defense.
  • McPherson only went 8/20, but that was not uncommon for him, he had a career completion % right around 50%.
  • He had no interceptions or fumbles
  • NC State's coach was Chuck Amato, who had recently left FSU and probably had some insider info about FSU's offense
  • FSU's starting running back Nick Maddox was injured on the first play of the game and did not have an impact.
  • NC State's QB was Phillip Rivers, no slouch
  • FSU was only favored by 6 in the game, so it's not totally out of the realm.
Facts/Speculation that support he DID throw the NC State game:
  • He supposedly only bet on FSU to win, and FSU had gone 5-3 to start the season. So he could've been down
  • He owed local man $8,000
  • Timing of the stolen check, one week before the NC State game may indicate he was really pressed for money. Possible his bookie told him he better blow the game or else...
  • FSU was favored by 6 in the game
I'll need to re-watch the game to make any further judgement. Available here if anyone else is interested.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed! These take quite a bit of time to research and then condense so I'd appreciate it if you'd "smash the like button" if you are interested in seeing more. And PLEASE comment below about anything relating to McPherson, personal stories or opinions, or name other players you want to see get the "Rewind" treatment. Prior editions are listed below. Thanks!

If you didn't catch the rest of the FSU Rewind series, check it out here:
Rewind 1 – Marcus Ball
Rewind 2 – Lorenzo Booker
Rewind 3 – Corey Surrency
Rewind 4 - Jeff Luc

Rewind 5 - Basketball Edition
Rewind 6 – C.J. Mizell
Rewind 7 - Xavier Lee

FSU Frontpage #1
FSU Frontpage #2

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT