ADVERTISEMENT

FSU Front Page - "Seminoles Whip LSU"

FAKEWillieTaggert

Veteran Seminole Insider
Feb 1, 2018
Tallahassee, FL
I was looking back into my front page collection and found gem from the Panama City News Herald, dated Sunday October 28, 1979.

"Seminoles Whips LSU" is great headline, but the reason I love this one so much is because of the OTHER headlines. Tulsa Rips UF?! Wake beats Auburn. Miami loses as well. (As someone who isn't particularly a FAMU fan, I don't even mind that they lost). Sounds like a great weekend in college football to me!

This is an old scanned image so its a bit blurry, but I have it printed out full size and it's perfectly legible, I just need to get it framed and I will take a better picture. My LSU friends that have been by the house have seen it and do not like it at all, neither do the Gators hahah.

Here is the game if anyone is interested:

Bowden's FSU rolled into Baton Rouge and defeated LSU 24-19 to ruin their homecoming game and stay undefeated. MVP was QB Jimmy Jordan in his first start of the year (over Wally Woodham). In the video the announcer introduces Jimmy and says "Jimmy is never going to be a percentage passer, but he does throw bombs" and he was right! He was 14-31 but threw for an amazing 312 yards vs LSU. Jimmy would be inducted in FSU Football Hall of Fame in 1985. There's some interesting history about the Woodham/Jordan rivalry and friendship that can be found here. FSU ultimately finished the 1979 regular season 11-0 but would lose to #5 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Interested in this kind of stuff? Like this thread and I'll post some more historic FSU front pages. What games are you interested in? This list may jog your memory. I can see if I have the front page in my collection.

Also, if you didn't catch the FSU Rewind series, check it out here.

Rewind 1 – Marcus Ball
Rewind 2 – Lorenzo Booker
Rewind 3 – Corey Surrency
Rewind 4 - Jeff Luc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News