ADVERTISEMENT

Glad Norvell is our coach

STPNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2013
Maybe I’ll be banned for this post, but a couple of nights ago I asked what I thought was a simple question on the most important sports story of the moment: How would we FSU fans respond if our players use their platforms to express their understandable outrage against institutional, systemic and deadly racism. I thought then and think now it’s a completely reasonable question given what we’re seeing in the NBA and across America.

My post was deleted because it was deemed “political.” And yet I’m listening to WUW and SH and JCS and they’re asking the same damn questions.

Now our coach has spoken out and I’m damn proud he is expressing support for players who may wish to speak out. I’m with CMN. And with any player who wants to speak out against America’s cultural racism, which is killing, incarcerating and undermining Black and Brown lives in countless ways. I think we can all learn from CMN’s example.

Before a problem can be solved it first has to be recognized and institutionalized racism is a really dangerous and long lasting problem in our country. It’s time for everyone, especially our leaders, to decide if they’re going to be part of the problem or part of the solution. Norvell is in a unique position as a leader of young men, most of them black, to affect change. I’m proud of him for standing up and being on the right side of history.

Before a problem can be solved it first has to be recognized and institutionalized racism is a really dangerous and long lasting problem in our country. It’s time for everyone, especially our leaders, to decide if they’re going to be part of the problem or part of the solution. Norvell is in a unique position as a leader of young men, most of them black, to affect change. I’m proud of him for standing up and being on the right side of history.
Facts and statistics don't support anything in you statement.

All of the recent police involved shootings were justified.. Rather then resisting, with a weapon, maybe they should have just complied. If the police violated their constitutional right, the victim would have there day in court. Screaming BLM instead of all lives matter solves nothing. Going out into the community, speaking with local law enforcement about change is the right thing to do. But Instead, BLM is going out in the street, rioting and hurting innocent people and their livelihood. It’s embarrassing and makes the matter worse.

Absolutely

I thought Hershel Walker had the best comment on this subject. I’m paraphrasing but basically it was everyone should comply when stopped by a police officer and police officers should treat everyone respectfully when they are forced to act.

This requires more vetting of those wanting to join the police force and more training. Here in Atlanta the police force reflects the racial makeup of the community and the few times I’ve interacting with police they have been very professional. But recent incidents here have shown you can still have a few bad apples.

These problems will only be solved by people working on them intelligently and not with violent actions.

Maybe I’ll be banned for this post, but a couple of nights ago I asked what I thought was a simple question on the most important sports story of the moment: How would we FSU fans respond if our players use their platforms to express their understandable outrage against institutional, systemic and deadly racism. I thought then and think now it’s a completely reasonable question given what we’re seeing in the NBA and across America.

My post was deleted because it was deemed “political.” And yet I’m listening to WUW and SH and JCS and they’re asking the same damn questions.

Now our coach has spoken out and I’m damn proud he is expressing support for players who may wish to speak out. I’m with CMN. And with any player who wants to speak out against America’s cultural racism, which is killing, incarcerating and undermining Black and Brown lives in countless ways. I think we can all learn from CMN’s example.
Amen

You showed your grasp of things, with your undying love and support of Willie. You are a close minded, bitter little person, that obviously has a significant inferiority complex

I thought Hershel Walker had the best comment on this subject. I’m paraphrasing but basically it was everyone should comply when stopped by a police officer and police officers should treat everyone respectfully when they are forced to act.

This requires more vetting of those wanting to join the police force and more training. Here in Atlanta the police force reflects the racial makeup of the community and the few times I’ve interacting with police they have been very professional. But recent incidents here have shown you can still have a few bad apples.

These problems will only be solved by people working on them intelligently and not with violent actions.

Spot on!

How often are you pulled over simply for driving in a neighborhood that's not your own? Fortunately I have never been but I'm certain that I would be pissed off if that happened to me.
I've been pulled over and questioned for driving in the neighborhood of a reported perpetrator. My buddy has been falsely handcuffed and arrested twice. Neither of us resisted. Not everything is racial... sometimes Police are just responding to calls and sometimes it's a case of mistaken identity. I'm all for justice and having a voice, but perhaps using that voice to educate young African Americans to obey police officer's commands and beat them in court would do more to save lives than spray painting BLM in the streets

All of the recent police involved shootings were justified.. Rather then resisting, with a weapon, maybe they should have just complied. If the police violated their constitutional right, the victim would have there day in court. Screaming BLM instead of all lives matter solves nothing. Going out into the community, speaking with local law enforcement about change is the right thing to do. But Instead, BLM is going out in the street, rioting and hurting innocent people and their livelihood. It’s embarrassing and makes the matter worse.
Theyre not all justified. The recent one where they shot the guy in the back as an example. Even if he had a knife, check out how the police in the UK handled this situation of someone armed with a large knife:

Who is CMN? His name is Coach Norvell!!

Re-read it a few times. OP didn’t call anyone a racist.
Not saying OP did but that is message behind all of this. You can't fix anything if both sides will not discuss and listen. I would still like someone to explain what is so terrible about our country and the reason behind all of this.

Doing what he’s gotta do to keep recruiting efforts up. Smart move

I wish we could have a convo without screaming. I’ve made the statement that i whole heartedly agree with the phrase blm but that I disagree with much of what the organization stands for which you can easily find on their website (and also happens to be where everyone’s sending their financial support to), but the response i have gotten is that I’m a racist. Logic and common sense says I can agree with the sentiment blm but disagree with their bullet points, most of which have nothing to do with black people. It’s crazy. If you look at the website it’s like the stimulus bill that the govts trying to agree on. The title is good but much of the behind the scenes substance has ZERO to do with the actual primary purpose.

You should be banned for going back to the well so quick.

How often are you pulled over simply for driving in a neighborhood that's not your own? Fortunately I have never been but I'm certain that I would be pissed off if that happened to me.
I’ve been around since 1952. Been pulled over multiple times. Some because I was wrong some because I was driving a fast car arguably and sometimes I was right and the officer was wrong. More than once with a weapon in my car.
I always remember my Dads admonition. If you are stopped, assume you were wrong. Be courteous and apologetic. Remember the officer is doing his or her job and that same officer will do anything to save you if your car was on fire.
Whatever you do, don’t resist!
I’m doing fine and most of the latest victims would have too, had they heard “the talk” the way I heard it.

Theyre not all justified. The recent one where they shot the guy in the back as an example. Even if he had a knife, check out how the police in the UK handled this situation of someone armed with a large knife:

That’s the UK. I’m more worried about our own officers and the people inside the United States.

Reactions: Ralnole
You are part of the problem.

Explain how he is part of the problem?

Here’s a fun homework assignment for you. Rather then coming in a message board and virtue signal to the world how moral you are by taking a stand against “institutional racism”, why don’t you state specific examples of where’re this mythical institutionalized racism exits, support your claim with actual data and evidence, then suggest something constructive to solve the proble
That would be super

Explain how he is part of the problem?

Here’s a fun homework assignment for you. Rather then coming in a message board and virtue signal to the world how moral you are by taking a stand against “institutional racism”, why don’t you state specific examples of where’re this mythical institutionalized racism exits, support your claim with actual data and evidence, then suggest something constructive to solve the proble
That would be super
And this is all I'm trying to point out. Perfectly said.

That’s the UK. I’m more worried about our own officers and the people inside the United States.
Well you should be worried. Our police officers are poorly trained, and way too quick to escalate the use of deadly force.

If black lives matters really cared, explain Chicago? That’s what I thought, crickets! The senseless killings every week by the dozens doesn’t help the agenda, so we won’t talk about that. Maybe the discussion should be blacks killing blacks at an alarming rate and try and address that. I guess that’s not news worthy. Doesn’t fit the narrative I guess.

Not saying OP did but that is message behind all of this. You can't fix anything if both sides will not discuss and listen. I would still like someone to explain what is so terrible about our country and the reason behind all of this.
It’s hard to discuss racism without mentioning racism. Impossible, even. Seems kind of like if the word is mention, one side stops listening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT