ADVERTISEMENT

Good dish for a potluck

If looking for a bourbon based desert, there is a chocolate bourbon pecan pie recipe somewhere on the webz that is amazing.

I just do a simple bourbon sauce to serve over the bread pudding. Butter, powdered sugar, egg yolks, bourbon. Cream the butter and sugar, remove from heat and blend in the egg yolk. Stir in the bourbon.

You ever notice on these "request advice" threads, that there is hardly ever a follow up post to actually tell what the op eventually did?

I want closure damnit!
Potluck was last night...

App: Honey sriracha chicken bites

Main: Chicken enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, may make some of them just for fun in the coming weeks.

Looking for some cooking ideas.. something I can make a bit earlier in the day and then quickly warm back up as food is being served - eg enchiladas.

Potluck was last night...

Main: Chicken enchiladas with homemade enchilada sauce

So, despite soliciting (and receiving) suggestions and advice, you already knew what you were going to bring.

(wondering if the OP is my wife posting incognito)

Obviously not worth doing for a potluck, but it's the little things like that, that truly transform a dish.
I went to a mexican joint outside of LA where they had little old ladies hand making the corn tortillas and cooking them on stone. Had all the meats and fixins laid out on a big wooden table. Easily the best mexican ive ever had. Half of the stuff was meats that i had no idea what they were, and it didnt matter.
I'm sure it included goat, which is very authentic in Mexico

So, despite soliciting (and receiving) suggestions and advice, you already knew what you were going to bring.

(wondering if the OP is my wife posting incognito)
Most the suggestions weren't in my limited wheelhouse of capabilities or not stuff my friends would have liked. Perhaps I should have outlined my lack of skills in the OP.

Most the suggestions weren't in my limited wheelhouse of capabilities or not stuff my friends would have liked. Perhaps I should have outlined my lack of skills in the OP.

Cheesy potatoes and meatballs requires mixing stuff up and putting it in the slow cooker.

Are you saying your friends don't like cheesy potatoes?

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Okay, late for the show, but I’d like to recommend beans and greens. Super easy to make, really delicious, and can hold warm in a crock pot or something similar basically forever.

Sauté some garlic and diced onions in olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat, add a bunch of fresh leafy spinach and a bit more oil, work it until the spinach is completely wilted, add a few cans of drained cannellini beans, stir around with some salt, maybe a little pepper, stir some more, add some chicken stock (enough to just about cover what is in the saucepan), raise the heat and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let everything simmer, uncovered. I prefer to let it bubble away for many hours, so that the stock reduces. The beans will break down a bit and the starch from them, along with the reduced amount of liquid, will lead to a thicker dish (it will look like soup when you start, but it will thicken up nicely, almost stew-like).

I only use leafy spinach for this. I like escarole and broccoli rabe for some things, but I find them both way too bitter for this dish.

A little grated parm or romano, maybe some crushed red pepper, and a loaf of Italian bread and you’re all set. :)

I cook a lot, including many stupidly complicated things, and this is one of my favorites; it is incredibly easy and SO delicious.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT